BBC to axe F1 from 2013? Confirmed - F1 will be on Sky from 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Complete garbage from Humphreys in the Hungary programme, referring to the deal.

It matters not one jot that "F1 is staying on the BBC" because if I want to see the whole season I will have to watch it on Sky.
Why would I bother flip-flopping between the 2 channels for the season? I will just watch them all on Sky.

Yep. He's a shifty looking dude. It angered me when he was elected. Mind you, Milliband junior is a lightweight, unlike his elder brother. Another thing this ridiculous new government has stuffed. They are so out of touch it's ridiculous. Punks.

Really pissed off about this whole thing. All decided in parliament by that ******, Cameron.
You are joking right? If your favourite reds, Tony and Gordon hadn't nearly bankrupted the country, we wouldn't have needed to cut budgets. As it is they did, but the BBC could stilll easily afford F1, it is just the fact that they have massively overspent on the Olympics and have lost even more of their budget and talent by moving up north. Do you really think if you worked in London for the BBC and were fairly high up, you would bother moving to Manchester?!? Bugger that, you'd go and work for a competitor, especially if you have a family..

You are joking right? If your favourite reds, Tony and Gordon hadn't nearly bankrupted the country, we wouldn't have needed to cut budgets. As it is they did, but the BBC could stilll easily afford F1, it is just the fact that they have massively overspent on the Olympics and have lost even more of their budget and talent by moving up north.

I think the BBC were wise enough to realise that in the current climate, with everybody else making cuts and salaries being frozen, the idea of increasing the license fee was never going to fly. From this point of view, I commend them, as it's bad enough that fuel and gas/electricity prices are rocketing without increasing the license cost as well.

The Olympics is a good point, they must have a massive outlay to cover that. Are they not host broadcaster as well? If so, they'll need all sorts of facilities in place to cope. And as you rightly point out, there are the relocation costs to Manchester and the redundancy payouts to any overpaid talent who didn't want to relocate up north.

Basically, the idea of paying out even more money for F1 after the initial contract was up was never going to sit well and they couldn't afford to pay an ever increasing percentage of the license fee to show F1. I don't like what they've done, but I can understand why they have done so. It was either this, or no F1 at all on the BBC after 2012.

I still blame Bernie for the amount he was charging them for the rights though, in the same way I blame him for Silverstone struggling to make any money from a GP after his fee and he's creamed off the advertising (which Silverstone don't see a penny off).

As usual, apologies if this has been posted already (I did check a few pages back but the thread has got very big) but James Allen has posted an article with some more details about how the logistics of it are going to work: http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/07/new-details-of-co-operation-between-sky-and-bbc-emerge/

Key points:
  • BBC and Sky will share the same commentary but have different presenters.
  • They will share on-site facilities
  • Mixed messages about whether BBC will show extended highlights or delayed coverage of complete races.

As long as Brundle and DC are commentators. But it is disgusting the way the BBC sold out to Sky, and it was the Beeb's idea! In the F1 forum, you could see how much it meant to the fans. Sack all the BBC managers now, and bring new ones in.

But there was a real danger that F1 was going to be lost completely from the BBC (quote by Jake Humphrey)

And there we have the heart of the whole story.

:givemestrength:

Waste of time.

The deals have already been made and the BBC have made it clear they're not prepared to spend £50m a year on F1.

It's always been a fundamental issue with Beeb. I read somewhere they sent something in the region of 300 journos to cover the world cup in South Africa last year.
But I guess reducing personnel would not have been enough to achieve the budgetary cuts they were expected to make.
As I said in the previous page, it could’ve been worse had they decided to hand back the whole package to Sky.

As I said in the previous page, it could’ve been worse had they decided to hand back the whole package to Sky.
That would be preferable to me.
Why waste £120 million on half the races?

I won't be watching any of them as I will have to pay for Sky so will watch them there.

I have no intention of getting Sky so will have to make do with post race highlights for the races not shown on Beeb.

It’s not just because of the financial implications but I feel propaganda is all too frequent on Sky, be it sports or politics.

Had Sky got the whole package, it would probably cost you more per race one way or the other.

Whatever the case, the Beeb’s coverage will always be less diluted and more extensive, so as a license fee payer I20 million doesn’t look like a waste to me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom