BBC to axe F1 from 2013? Confirmed - F1 will be on Sky from 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh dear god, forgive me for this but I'm going to have to post something in favour of Sky.

Sorry Jez but those figures don't ring true.

This is from the BARB (British Audience Research Board) that produce the official figures for all channels:

1 LIVE FORD SUPER SUNDAY - MATCH (SUN 1603) Sky Sports 1 2.63 million

That was for Sunday 8th of May this year.

The same day that the Turkish GP failed to make the BBC top 30 (viewing figures for the 30th placed programme were 4.11 million)

Further to my last, Also from the BARB Website:

Average Audiance Share for Apr / May / Jun

BBC:                    21% 21.3% 21%

Sky Sports 1,2,3 and 4: 2.3% 2.2% 1.6%

Has it been mentioned that the CH4 bid was rejected as they couldn't commit to the 2012 season?

Not that I think it would have made any difference at all.

Arrrrrrgggh. It gets worse dosn't it !!!

Jez, you were saying in a few posts earlier that the BBC hadn't sold out.

Well if what Bro has just said is true then I would have to say it seems like they did. Since the BBC had a contract to show the sport until the end of 2012 they should have honoured that contract however they sold out to sky in the name of money saving and still managed to keep hold of the sport until 2018. Win for the BBC, Massive Win for Sky, Win for Bernie, more money for the teams and guess who are the only ones to loose out?

That's the camels back broken in two !

I think they'd have honoured their contract, but it seems likely they didn't want to pay as much after 2012 and wouldn't have renewed at all. Along come Sky saying to Bernie "We'll give you shit loads of cash from next year," Bernie says "Thank you. Beeb, you have a get out of jail free card if you want it?"

The BBC had 1 year left to run at £50m. Now they have 6 years at £20m, which is £120m total.

The whole thing stinks, and has done from day one.

I think nobody else wins when dealing with Bernie and I certainly don't think they come away from any of his deals smelling like roses. He seems to have skated through all those bribery allegations in Germany

Very true.

But it would appear that Channel 4 had made a bid to keep it free to air from 2013 which would have been when a new contract was required any way.

The article I saw gave the impression that Sky were going to get it at all costs, it's about the only mass-market sport they don't have a hold over.

The only thing that annoys me about what the Beeb have done is what they are spending to relocate their sporting coverage. I've seen figures of £900M, how many years of top class sport would that have paid for?

I did see this on the Guardian's website though:

Guardian said:
Jeremy Darroch, the BSkyB chief executive, said that the satellite broadcaster became involved in the negotiations for Formula One very late in the process. Channel 4 reportedly expressed an interest in buying the rights, while ITV rejected the idea of making a bid.
"Formula One is in the top tier of sports properties," said Darroch. "It is very much a blue riband event."
Darroch would not divulge what the company paid, although given half the races will no longer be free to air it is expected to be at a significant premium to the value of previous Formula One TV rights deals of about £40m a year, describing it as a "good price".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/29/bbc-sky-share-f1-broadcast-rights

Bastard!

I don't mind channel 4 at all, I have Sky, but Channel 4 is more logical...

And BBC...how one year can hurt them...they were so many ways they could save costs on their F1 coverage for next season...

Why is F1 always the sport that leaves fans unhappy? As much as I give Bernie credit for getting the sport to where it is, it balances out with all of his stupid decisions...

The only thing that annoys me about what the Beeb have done is what they are spending to relocate their sporting coverage. I've seen figures of £900M, how many years of top class sport would that have paid for?

That's all down to a tiny minority of :censored: who deceided that because the national broadcaster i.e. The British Broadcasting Corperation, just so happens to be based in the nations capital of all places, that wasn't on and they should (holds both hands up in the two fingered bunny position) "de-centralise" due to a lack of BBC operations based in the north.

The fact that they broadcast to the entire country, and no one I know has ever given two toots about where it's made just how good it is, seems to have passed the BBC by.

As usual, apologies if this has been posted already (I did check a few pages back but the thread has got very big) but James Allen has posted an article with some more details about how the logistics of it are going to work: http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/07/new-details-of-co-operation-between-sky-and-bbc-emerge/

Key points:
  • BBC and Sky will share the same commentary but have different presenters.
  • They will share on-site facilities
  • Mixed messages about whether BBC will show extended highlights or delayed coverage of complete races.

I know sometimes you have to spend money to save it, but exactly how much are they going to save by spending £900M?!? Some things make sense, like having all the drama in one place or natural history, but Sport gets covered through out the UK and abroad, it's not as though they can save by storing all the costumes or props in the same place!

What they spending £900m on?

Don't understand the BBC at all...

Why get F1 if you are going to just throw it away?

I know sometimes you have to spend money to save it, but exactly how much are they going to save by spending £900M?!? Some things make sense, like having all the drama in one place or natural history, but Sport gets covered through out the UK and abroad, it's not as though they can save by storing all the costumes or props in the same place!

I reckon it all hinges on how much they are paying "The Three Musketeers" who cover F1 for the BBC.

MB, EJ and DC cannot be cheap.....................:whistle:

Why get F1 if you are going to just throw it away?

They signed the original deal before they were told to make cost savings. Knowing Bernie, they would have come back to him to negotiate for 2013 onwards and said "We can only pay £xM" and he would have replied saying "It's gone up now."

I don't trust Bernie and I don't buy Sky coming in to this late. I'm pretty sure he was holding discussions for a while.

The thing is, 900 million pounds is just short of 1/3 of the money raked in from the license fee. Just to placate a few do gooders who want to see the words BBC in Manchester because they don't like the fact its based in London.

One of Parkinson's laws of buisness states that "only a company in terminal decline has the money to spend on new headquarters".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom