Autosprint Top 10

These lists can only ever be subjective, either collectively so or individually. All the drivers under discussion are excellent, will come down to what people value, respect , admire about the different drivers as to where that are finally placed. And comparing different eras and drivers at different stages of their career is nigh on impossible, it's hard enough comparing curren ones in different cars.
Take Stirling Moss for instance, never won a world championship. But when you dig deaper it's not that clear. Second five times and then an accident finishing his career in his early thirties. Many drivers of that era hadnt even begun their racing at that age. He was planning to race into his fifties. He could have been the digging give number one had he done that. It's just impossible, all we can do is rank our favourites, even that's hard!!

I always find these polls suspect.

I read somewhere that 1976 was the first year where F1 didn't have a driver fatality! An alarming stat that, to me at least, reinforces my belief that it is impossible to compare drivers of different eras. Would any of today's divers even be willing to face the probability of dying behind the wheel that drivers of the 50s, 60s and 70s faced?

I don't know the answer to that question, and I don't think that anyone else can claim to either.

Galahad--

Whose "general consensus" and can it be stated with certainty that Mario's nationality doesn't come into play in that evaluation as well?

Sorry, consensus wasn't the right word - "I have often heard it said" would have been better. I was a bit surprised by the suggestion that anti-Americanism was a possible explanation, to be honest with you.

I agree with teabagyokel that those who died at the wheel often end up with a reputation boost; but those who survived long careers in that period are similarly congratulated for the achievement, so perhaps the effect is evened up somewhat.

I don't think I really have a conclusion here, except to say that I rate Mario very highly, of course, and I've enjoyed reading the comments.

"...those who died at the wheel often end up with a reputation boost; but those who survived long careers in that period are similarly congratulated for the achievement ..." or (in any period) who wind up with careers tarnished (at least in the eyes of some) because of failed comebacks or protracted fade-outs.

Back
Top Bottom