Audi to potentially join F1 in 2016 - is there light at the end of the tunnel for the sport?

THIS could also be invoked by the name "Auto Union"

DKW_Schnellaster_Van.jpg

It's a DKW

Ah, DKW. They used to be quite common at one time. The bottom of the range was on about the level of a non-export VW with about the same level of non-performance.

VW (and by default Audi and Porsche) have been linked to potential F1 for donkeys years and its never happened. I'm sure it's only because they are the second largest car maker and wishful thinking that they are interested... Usually when F1 looks in trouble.

What can VW gain from F1 to justify their commitment?

Nothing I can see that they're not getting from endurance at the moment... As for Audi, they should return to WRC.

F1 is still higher profile than WEC but then you have to win...
& that's where the problem is, all the company's that are retail to mass car making, Ford, Toyota, etc, have all found it a good idea until you realise after spending Half a Billion Dollars Car sales remain the bloody same, so why bother.......So why would Audi be any different!

Personally and I think this is why F1 is at a Crossroads, who in their right mind would want to come new in to F1 right now, they would be absolutely MAD.

Like someone has said always though Audi are more an Endurance/WRC branding.

I have rarely seen any tie between any high volume car manufacturer and there racing efforts. If I got to a Renault dealership I will probably not see any link to their F1, or any other series, efforts. This is a disconnect that needs to be addressed.

On a subconscious level, even if you are not an F1 fan, knowing that Mercedes or Renault etc. make cars or engines which can win motor races has to be good for car sales even if the dealerships don't use it as a direct promotion tool. One thing I've never understood is what companies such as SAP or Randstand get from F1 sponsorship apart from corporate hospitality which they could do without logos on the cars.

I had no idea who Randstad were (yes I googled them and know now), but they sound like the evil mega-corporation owned by a Bond baddie,

Last edited:
the turbo era now is suppose to be close to road car hybrid technology

there is a drive for hybrid cars on the road so there could be a correlation. I use have a Honda hybrid and yes it had a battery at the back ala ERS which made it more economical to run

So if Audi have these things working on their road car then going Formula One is not a bad idea to promote car sales
but they would need a marquee signing to make themselves look serious unlike Toyota who simply wanted German drivers to please the regional chiefs

I doubt BMW will come back yet because they are probably quite happy with DTM and beating Mercedes at the moment

I think Audi's WEC car is more sophisticated than any F1 car and suspect they could build a whole car and engine capable of winning races. What's interesting is that the WEC Prototype cars are all so different yet their lap times are very close. Why can't F1 structure their rules to allow some diversity but keep performance close?

It's a fuel flow formula marksawatsky - F1 could do the same but never has. The only equivalency formula was the 1.5 turbo versus 3 litre normally aspirated in the late 70's early 80's and that didn't end well.

I agree, allowing alternative fuels, different engine sizes, cylinder configurations etc. would make the formula far more interesting although we could end up with one team dominating a season if they get it right compared to the rest and nobody would want that would they?

the rules in WEC is more flexible but still allow good racing as the cost involved is not as high as F1

Last time F1 ran two rules side by side - turbos vs normally aspirated - 1988 - the grandees used the turbos to full effect although Ferrari overrated their own ability in being able to challenge Mclaren HOnda who found extra power to be the class of the field

Whilst Ford went normally aspirated which was lucky for the above two the other teams could not afford turbos as all the other manufacturers could not accept being also rans to the Honda powered cars

As soon turbos came along - there was civil war in F1 between the grandees and the British teams that used Cosworth DFV engines but has superior chassis to make up the power deficit and lead to the infamous water bottle row

Later Tyrell who opposed the turbos were thrown out in order to gain unamynous voting for turbos

So two tier rules don't really work in F1 because there are too many parties at loggerheads with each other

Last edited:
It doesn't need to be two tiered, it could be as simple as the same air restrictor plate and maximum fuel capacity for everybody. To spice up the show, allow refueling but reduce size of fuel rig hose so it takes 15 seconds to fill.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom