Audi to potentially join F1 in 2016 - is there light at the end of the tunnel for the sport?

Skoda and SEAT are both very successful in the WRC. Maybe VW would like to bring back the Auto Union name.

Just on the "makes every day cars" I associate Mercedes with great big wallowy limo's and executive saloons. Can't think of a single Mercedes sports car which has raised my pulse in the last 30 years. I know you will all point out the SLS and the McLaren Mercedes but compared to their peer group they were just shit so what do Merc get out of F1?

I can't see them entering as anything but Audi, mainly because that brand is based upon V6/V8 turbo cars. Porsche are straight engine configs, VW is more about economy etc and Skoda/SEAT are about cheap versions of VW cars.

If you think Audi started off in competing for the same market as your more affordable and reasonably priced car and then to get better recognition they gradually moved to themselves into more prestige and higher priced cars in order to compete against BMW and Mercedes

The entry has to be Audi to emphasise its prestige and No 1 German Car company plus there are those who would to see the Silver Audi with the its Audi Rings and its branding "Vorsprechn technik" being emphasised in F1

I wonder if Nico Hulkenberg is thinking of switching to them having signed to drive for Porsche at Le Mans

A BBC report from the other weekend, the interesting part is at the bottom when talking about Audi...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/32373718

German manufacturer Audi has conducted a feasibility into F1 entry and found there to be serious support for the idea within the company.

Sources in the German automotive industry insist that the only blockage to Audi entering F1 is the antipathy felt for Ecclestone by the chairman of the VW-Audi board, Ferdinand Piech.

Sources say Piech will not allow any of his brands to enter F1 while Ecclestone is in charge.

Ecclestone said: "Nobody's told me that. If that is the case, I'll leave. I would be happy to step down if it brought those people in."

Lamborghini? Thought they don't really have a racing heritage. Yes, Audi is most likely.
Interestingly enough, Ferrucio Lamborghini owned a tractor business, and started the car company because he was unhappy with his Ferrari. Said it was built too much like a track car and didn't perform well as a road car. He refused to even build racecar prototypes.

I can't see Audi coming into the sport unless there is a reg change and all the engine suppliers have to develop new engines from scratch.

We've all seen with Honda the suicide it is to try and come in when the other guys have a head start on you and there is no wiggle room in the rules to allow development.

I think Audi will come in if Red Bull can help offer much of the finance assistance and infrastructure. If its going to be a partnership then it has to be long term and Audi will want guarantees from Red Bull to be involved in f1

Back
Top Bottom