Apple or PC

• Total voters

fat jez

Race Winner
Valued Member
MajorDanby said:
Are you a curator of the obsolete technology museum Jez? LOL

Obsolete? How dare you! LOL

No, I was just a big Amiga fan, which is probably why I turned to Apple for much of my computing needs instead of Windows - less main stream.

Re: Micro Men

Apple are great at UI and design.

I refuse to buy their products though due to their restrictive practices (no USB connector or Flash on iPad, sealed batteries, etc.) and they are overpriced.

Personally I don't like Apple, they are way too expensive, the value for money is rubbish compared to PCs and i have had a Mac before and it caused me nothing but trouble, particulary with application running, I would never use one again if i could get away with it, their Ipods are alright though.

I always equate Apple computing to B&O hifi - pretty furniture, overpriced and for the same money you could get something probably more functional but a much better spec.

Look at that - insulted Apple users and B&O hifi owners in one post :D

...and don't get me started on the ****ing iPad >:(

And i have used Amigas before, but I thought that the mouse was awful in my opinion. It had connection problems and was 'uncomfortable'. Also the machine kept breaking when I tried to restart it.

FB said:
...and don't get me started on the chuffing iPad >:(

Yeah I agree, I have an Ipod Touch, which is basically the same as the Ipad, just smaller and is £300 cheaper. go figure

Re: Apple or PC?

Does my Commodore Pet count amongst others LOL

Internet access is a bit slow though...

Apple, since the OS suffers from far fewer problems than Windows - no registry, no real virus threat (yet), no spy ware, proper security (OS based on Unix).

The downsides are the price (but the hardware build quality is superior to the average PC), poor gaming support.

But perhaps the reason there are no real virus threats that Apples don't number as much to PCs in the UK, perhaps if they do keep rising in numbers, there might be some viruses and spyware :disappointed:

McLarenSupremo said:
But perhaps the reason there are no real virus threats that Apples don't number as much to PCs in the UK, perhaps if they do keep rising in numbers, there might be some viruses and spyware :disappointed:

Perhaps, but the security model is totally different. The unix security model used by OSX (and by Linux, Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, etc) is very different to the Windows model (the turn everything on by default approach). Don't get me wrong, 7 is a lot better (I'm using it right now), but the number of patches released by MS every month is astounding and not all down to the number of users.

What is Windows 7 like? I still use Vista (one gripe i have, is Microsoft releasing a new versions almost every other year, can't afford it, and with Windows 8 out in the not too distant future as well, probably won't have the money for it when i go to uni, (hopefully) )

Windows 7 is great, a much better OS than previous OS', especially Vista which should have been put down at birth.

With regards to affordability, students are entitled to buy software for educational purposes which is much cheaper than standard.
You should check into that.

7 is everything that Vista should have been and that XP wasn't. But there's still a long way to go, not helped by integrating the web browser so closely to the OS.

Back
Top Bottom