Apple or PC

Apple or PC

• Total voters
With you Jez, an apple man through and through. Never have to worry about antivirus or anything. Won't go back to a PC now.

fat_jez said:
7 is everything that Vista should have been and that XP wasn't. But there's still a long way to go, not helped by integrating the web browser so closely to the OS.

I'm running Vista but somehow I still have all my hair, I will make the jump upto windows 7 sooner or later though.

Are you still using internet explorer as your browser jez? Firefox is the way forward, everything works so much better with it.

F1Yorkshire said:
I'm running Vista but somehow I still have all my hair, I will make the jump upto windows 7 sooner or later though.

Are you still using internet explorer as your browser jez? Firefox is the way forward, everything works so much better with it.

If I had my way, Internet Explorer would be in the swear filter. No, I use firefox along with xmarks to keep bookmarks synchronised with the 3 or so machines I use during the course of the day (work laptop, Macbook Pro and Windows 7 PC).

My walking club website works perfectly in all browsers (Chrome, Safari, Firefox & Opera), except IE (despite 8 claiming to be standards compliant). I'm getting a little tired of this game, but not quite as tired as the one which involves me hunting through friends' computers for the malicious little piece of code that is stopping them from getting on the internet, slowing the machine down, etc. And whoever thought the registry was a good idea at MS should be shot. If it was such a good idea, how come no other OS has ever adopted it?

I didn't think much of Chrome. I'll stick with firefox for now.

Where is the best place to get a copy of win 7? I could easily get a dodgy copy but with the constant windows updates its more hassle than its worth so I want a genuine version.

At the moment, I am a PC man. (No, not practically correct! I don't go in for that :censored: !)

I haven't got any further than Windows XP and, unless they make upgrading free, I will continue with it until....

I'm a PC man as computers are my expertise. I run 2 Windows and 3 Ubuntu boxes in total for my sins.

There are lots of myth and legend surrounding the mac vs pc, much of which is either bunk or was true once upon a time and has not been the case for years.

Hardware is a good one, most of the hardware in both mac and pc are identical. Thats because neither Apple nor MS take any part in producing the individual pieces, you want the best processors you go to Intel, best gfx cards go to NVidea/ATI, best ram you go to Corsair/Kingstond etc. When someone buys a mac machine they are paying for access to OSX, if OSX were easily runnable on PC's, Apple hardware sales would drop significantly.

Security is a tricky one as it depends what type of user you are. If you are an advanced user then the nannying of Windows can drive one to distraction, for the layman user however this is probably all round the better system to have. My main machine is Ubuntu 10, which is a more conducive to an expert user as long as you dont mind jumping in and out of terminals. By default Ubuntu has a timer for root access, which i've never really been fond of but I put up with it given UNIX's rather poor reputation for security. Macs by far the worst security though, more than a couple occasions i've had to override the login authentication on a friends Mac, which takes little more than the time it takes to boot the machine (as long as you know which keys to press :snigger: ;) )

So if someone wanted a change from Windows and wanted to use something a bit different, i'd tell them to pip for Ubuntu, has a small footprint on the system and on any given day there are about 30k applications available to install via the software management apps integrated into the default desktop, I challenge anyone to not find what they are looking for :D

Those concerns you've raised Gribbli are pretty much the same for any OS where you can get access to the physical machine. I can do the same on unix servers with a suitable boot CD.

Going to sound like a school boy now but is there any advantage to a computer muppet like me replacing Windows with Linux or Ubuntu - I get fed up with the problems Vista causes on my laptop but only use it for web browsing and Office type applications (just started using Open Office, it's brilliant and FREEEEEE!)

Obviously many sinful a thing is possible when you have access to drives and ports, as part of network security measures that is not always the case, hence the beauty of a mac, I don't need anything more than a keyboard to gain root access.

But i agree in general terms, UNIX has never been great when it comes to security due to the fluidity and open nature of its software design process.

Heres another member of the myth and legend group while i'm at it, programming. I remember having a big long discussion on tech forum about the pros and cons of programming on different systems. It's truly astonishing the claims made by a lot of tech bloggers these days, especially the ones with self proclaimed titles such as 'technologists' :givemestrength:

If you ever hear anyone saying that programming on system 'A' is much better/easier/faster than programming on system 'B' rest assured that the people making such claims either have never written software in their life (more of these people around than you might think) or don't really understand their business. >:(

FB said:
Going to sound like a school boy now but is there any advantage to a computer muppet like me replacing Windows with Linux or Ubuntu - I get fed up with the problems Vista causes on my laptop but only use it for web browsing and Office type applications (just started using Open Office, it's brilliant and FREEEEEE!)

There are plenty of Linux flavours to choose from of course, but Ubuntu I would say is the distro leading the charge of making Linux systems that are accessible to your typical convenience loving user. The installation process alone has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years, I think at this point there are even less steps than the Windows install.

Things like open office come as standard on the Ubuntu installation, along with quite a lot of other handy tools that you would otherwise need to buy and install as separate applications on Window.

One of the biggest improvements in my opinion is the life it adds to your hardware. We all have been there with Windows when you have installed plenty of software, run the system for a while and the ram is almost always peaking, takes an age to load up and you eventually give in and upgrade your hardware and start over. Its a trick tho, the fresh install of Windows has had a bigger performance impact than the new hardware! :snigger:

When I was running my main machine on Windows 7, I regularly had 3 of the 4 gigs of rams used by having a handful of my favourite apps open. Right now on Ubuntu I have about 20 or so apps open and am using just 1 gig. Ironically a couple of those apps are Windows apps that I am running through Wine (a funky Windows software emulator for those must have Windows apps).

If anyone does fancy a sniff at Linux but doesnt want to take the big step of replacing their OS, you can download and burn to disc the Ubuntu installation from here http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download and when you boot your machine with that disc you can choose the trial option which will just boot directly into the Ubuntu desktop without the need for installation (basically a try before you 'buy').

I'm really not getting into this debate, again..........

But, let's put it this way, you can run windows on a Mac.

Ummm, little help please. Successfully loaded Ubuntu onto my laptop (replacing Windows completely) and given it a new lease of life but, for my sins, I have an iPod. I've loaded WINE but can't work out how to get the emulator to run the exe file for iTunes. I've seen some advice suggesting loading iTunes 7.2 and have down loaded this (as well as the latest version), I've added the program into WINE but I'm damned if I can work out how to make it work :(

Anyone got any advice?

For those that may know, this is the error message I get when I go through WINE and run the iTunessetup.exe program:

Archive: /home/patrick/Downloads/iTunesSetup.exe
[/home/patrick/Downloads/iTunesSetup.exe]
End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
the last disk(s) of this archive.
zipinfo: cannot find zipfile directory in one of /home/patrick/Downloads/iTunesSetup.exe or
/home/patrick/Downloads/iTunesSetup.exe.zip, and cannot find /home/patrick/Downloads/iTunesSetup.exe.ZIP, period.

Finally got it to load (it was a simple right click on the exe file :embarrassed: ) but I now have another error message telling me that the support software isn't available. Anyone any ideas?

Oooh shiny

whynottobuyamac.png

Just do add my two cents...

My first computer was a 1987 Macintosh II (got it in 1990 - was 4 yo at the time :o )
Had it for a couple of years, and when i was about 10 my parents bought me a PC. And had PCs until this year.

Due to the nature of my work (video editing, color correcting and visual effects) i purchased a 27" core i7 iMac, 11" MacBook Air, and the whole Final Cut Studio Suite (switched from Avid and Adobe CS), and i can honestly say... I'm reborn. 8-)

Apple products are not perfect, and for the same price you can get a lot more powerful PC etc etc... For me, its the way it works. Everything is stable, Mac OS hasn't crashed once, no errors, no lagging... Nothing. Everything works as Apple promised it would.
Not to mention, i previously owned an iPhone 3GS and recently switched to the iPhone 4 (and purchased an iPad) :D

I think this is a debate that will go on for decades (or atleast until everything becomes Internet based).
Its not about if you love the PC (imho), its about if you love or hate apple. If you hate it - you'll never buy one, no matter how good it is. If you love it, you'll forgive all the little flaws it has.

Back
Top Bottom