Amazing commentary

Ah, the legendary Clive James, Aussie comedian, demonstrating the the right way to narrate a story. Nothing irritates me more than the modern pre-occupation with dubbed commentaries on race highlights. Peter Ustinov was another chap who narrated several Duke end of season review videos. Those guys let your eyes do the watching but told the stories of the seasons. Maybe I'm too old but when I dig out an old Duke video I like the style. I get a flavour of the time and place. that doesn't seem to be there in the reviews from the late 1990's on.

Learn more about Clive James:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clive_James

Overall, James identifies as a liberal social democrat. He strongly supported the 2003 invasion of Iraq, saying in 2007 that "the war only lasted a few days" and that the continuing conflict in Iraq was "the Iraq peace."ROFL

Overall, James identifies as a liberal social democrat. He strongly supported the 2003 invasion of Iraq, saying in 2007 that "the war only lasted a few days" and that the continuing conflict in Iraq was "the Iraq peace."ROFL
He is one of the best proponents of the art of sarcasm. to say he strongly supported the invasion of Iraq in 2003 may be a little strong, particularly since he has always been a rather vocal opponent of "US imperialism".

A keener insight on his position on the Iraq invasion comes in an interview with writer/journalist James Silver in 2006:

In the aftermath of the 2002 Bali bombing, in which 89 Australians lost their lives, James wrote an article for this newspaper arguing that the west should stop blaming itself for Islamic terrorism. Did he back Australia's participation in the invasion of Iraq? For the first time in our conversation he speaks haltingly.

"This is deep water but I'm ready to get into it," he says. "The short version of my position is that I think Saddam Hussein had to be stopped. It's a pity he was stopped so clumsily and we are living with consequences which may yet wreck the world, but I thought it had to happen."

James is acutely aware that his views on the rise of militant Islamism are out of step with the left-liberal consensus - even if they do echo those of author friends like Martin Amis and Salman Rushdie.

"The Islamic religion is very easy to outrage and it correctly estimates that it has direct political influence. Well, my religion hasn't."

He smiles. "There are no militant Presbyterians left. You can still offend me but the reason I won't come boiling out of my hole and attack you is that I don't believe that is just. There are plenty of people in the Islamic world who would like to reform Islam. And we must hear from them."

http://www.jamessilver.net/articles/clive-james-the-guardian.asp

Back
Top Bottom