First Entered 1977
Races Entered 285
Race Wins 35
Pole Positions 51
Fastest Laps 31
Driver World Championships 2
Constructor World Championships 2

Team History

Renault first entered F1 as a constructor in 1977 at the British Grand Prix. At the height of the “garagiste” and Cosworth engines Renault entered a single car, driven by Jean-Pierre Jabouille, powered by a 1.5 litre turbo charged engine. Renault’s experiment with turbo charging probably changed F1 more than any other single event in the sport’s history.

Jabouille won Renault's first Grand Prix in 1979 in France and, up until their withdrawal as a constructor from the sport in 1985; Renault won 15 Grands Prix. They continued in F1 as an engine manufacturer until in 2002 they returned as a constructor having acquired the Benetton (formerly Toleman) team in 2000.

The “new” Renault Team

For 2002 Renault partnered Jarno Trulli and Jenson Button together and the team managed 4th place in the Constructors Championship. Button was dropped for 2003 in favour of the team’s test driver, Fernando Alonso. Alonso repaid the team’s faith by winning the Hungarian Grand Prix, the first win for a Renault car since 1983.

Jarno Trulli won the Monaco Grand Prix in 2004 but was replaced by Jacques Villeneuve before the end of the season as he and the team principal, Flavio Briatore, fell out amid claims of favouritism toward Alonso.

The Championship Years

Giancarlo Fisichella was brought in to replace Trulli for 2005 and duly won the first race in Australia. Alonso won the next 3 and a total of 7 in the season to win the Drivers World Championship and give Renault the Constructors’ Title they had long waited for; breaking Michael Schumacher 5 year run of driver's titles and and Ferrari's 6 year long strangle hold on the constructors title.

In 2006 the same pattern repeated, Fisichella took a single victory, Alonso 7 along with both the Drivers Championship and the Constructors Title.

Post Alonso (part 1)

Alonso’s departure to McLaren in 2007, replaced by rookie Heikki Kovalainen, left the team without a star driver to build around and the team struggled. Kovalainen outscored his more experienced team mate but a highest finish of 2nd in Japan was the best result on the track. The team finished 3rd in the Constructors Championship but as McLaren were disqualified from the championship in 2007 the result flatters to deceive.

After falling out with McLaren Alonso returned to Renault for 2008. Rebuilding around him, the car slowly improved and Alonso won races in Singapore and Japan. It later transpired that Alonso’s team mate in 2008, Nelson Piquet jnr, had deliberately crashed during the Singapore race with the collusion of team principal Briatore and Technical Director, Pat Symonds. This emerged in 2009 after Piquet was dropped by the team for Roman Grosjean resulting in Briatore and Symonds being banned from the sport and Renault being given a 2 years suspended ban.

2009 was a lean year for Renault. Alonso managed pole in Hungary but otherwise a single 3rd place in Singapore was the best placing the team could muster. The resulting bad publicity surrounding the race fixing allegations resulted in many of Renault’s major sponsors withdrawing finance from the team and put into question Renault’s continuing presence as an F1 team.

Post Alonso (part 2)

Alonso left for Ferrari in 2010 and Robert Kubica took his place, partnered by Russia’s first F1 driver Vitaly Petrov. At this time Renault sold a 75% share of the team to Luxembourg based venture capital company Genii. Renault continued to provide technical support and engines to the team. Kubica managed some podium places through the season whilst Petrov took some time to acclimatise to F1 with a best finish of 5th in Hungary, matching Renault’s finish in the Constructor’s Championship.

For 2011 Renault sold it’s remaining 25% share to Lotus cars resulting in a change of team name to Lotus Renault GP causing a legal battle with Team Lotus as to who had the rights to use the name Lotus in F1. Renault will also race under a British licence this season leaving F1 without a French team for the first time since 1975.

Renault planned to retain the same driver line up but Kubica crashed in a rally car prior to pre-season testing and has been replaced by former team mate Nick Heidfeld. They will use the R31 chassis.

It's been a curious season for Lotus, after the early flyaway races I think we all expected them to be right in the title mix but while they've been there or thereabouts for the most part, it's just not happened for them, in the Constructors they're like a Mercedes 2012 (but with a better car) in that they're quite a way behind Mercedes and Ferrari but a very long way ahead of McLaren and Force India, losing two members of staff and a driver to Ferrari though has got to hurt for 2014

I hope Hulkenberg does not end up jumping from the Sauber fire into the Lotus frying pan next season as he deserves a lucky break in his career

I think Enstone might surprises with a good car at the start of next year as it appears most of the development has been done before losing staff so they might be good before slowly going backwards.

Hopefully Hulk will get some stand out performances in early when its good to set him up for the Mclaren drive.

RasputinLives

Hulks career will read first 4 years in F1 in four different teams - hardly helping but should point to Button having a similar start to his F1 career and he has finally been paid his dues.

Team Enstone might start with a good car and then drop like a stone when the others have caught on. Be interesting to see how they are going to develop a new car for next year when Kimi can't win the title now and they don't have an engine confirmed unless someone can prove it will be Renault

Il_leone - as the talk is that Renault are stepping up their involvment I'm pretty sure they have Renault engines for next year.

I know you've been talking all year about them not having Renualt engines next year but other than from you I've not heard any hint that the partnership won't continue. I'm sure you'll quote me the thing about Renault saying ages back they might want to supply less teams but nowhere does it hint that they want to drop the Enstone team. As, after Red Bull, they are the only team to get them a race victory and any podiums I'm not sure why they would. Its not like Caterham are bubbling over with results and money if they really want to cut back.

I'm sure you'll wax lyrical about why you think they don't have an engine deal but I haven't heard it from any other source but you in the last 3 months and you'd think it would be big talk.

Could this be a similar rumour to the one about Hulkenberg leaving Sauber after Hungary this year? i.e. wide of the mark?

RasputinLives so somehow team Enstone will pay $23m for Renault engines
- Renault are supplying less teams now as Williams have gone with MErcedes and I don't think Lotus want to go with Ferrari engines and Maranello certainly would not want to lend engines to title rivals potentially

how about Kimi really stirring the pot saying he's leaving because he has not been paid ... would Lotus drop Kimi now seeing he's spilled the beans
. It aint Team Enstone's fault but Genii Capital's

and would they shoe in whoever Kimi's replacement is ..looks like Hulkenberg seeing there is no buy out clause for him

I could understand if they went back to Renault in the wake of the farce Lotus deal.

Don't get me started on the shameful way the name of a once great team has been treated.

In fact I would much prefer it if the ashes of Team Lotus could now be allowed to rest in peace and some nice, gleaming, yellow, black and white Renault's (they are the grand daddy of Turbo designs after all), rolled out of Enstone next year.

the Lotus idea was Dani Bahar's suggestion on making full use of the Lotus name and the whole farce around it

Team Enstone should call themselves that.

Well we all know I've always refused to call them the L word from the start so couldn't agree more.

Back to Renault please!

Oh and Il_leone Eddie Jordan is good but Joe Saward is better!

James Allison
Kimi Raikkonen
Dirk de Beer
Now Jarrod Murphy:
http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2013/09/20/from-lotus-to-mercedes/

Lotus is haemorrhaging technical staff at an alarming rate. Next thing Hulkenberg signs for Lotus thinking it's a step up, only to realise two races into the season that it isn't... That would be unluckily familiar to him.

I hope for his sake and Lotus's that they can put a competitive car on the tarmac, and that he gets signed.

They are all abandoning a sinking ship. Guess that deal with infinity isn't going through then.

Pretty weird that a team that became 4th in the constructors last year to have money problems, or even has trouble to get sponsors. How i would like to know how much prize money the teams get. Grosjean however crashed a big sum off money together last year.

Last edited:
The deal with infinity has already gone through. They now own 35% of the team.

As for all the personnel leaving to go to Ferrari I think that might have something to do with the amount of money they pay people. Lets not forget a load of Mclaren staff also jumped ship to Ferrari a couple of years back for that exact reason.

My understanding of the Enstone situation is that they have plenty of assets but thet aren't currently liquid - I.E the moneys all tied up in investments they need to try and cash in.

There should be a limit on how much a team can spend on technical staff, otherwise no backmarker can ever make it to the top cause the top teams are buying every good mechanic or designer they have.

Back
Top Bottom