Alonso's Ferrari Blog: On Losing Monaco To Vettel & Silverstone Cut-Off for WDC

I don't wanted to get to into it being an Alonso fan it may be construed as bias, that said as a driver Alonso has the ability to come back though the deficit is probably beyond Ferrari's and Alonso's realistic capabilities as of now Alonso needs 4 GP wins with Vettel and the other contenders not scoring which is steep in anyones language.

Do I think Ferrari or Alonso can win the WDC or CWC, realistically and based on fact, probably not, do I think someone like Alonso will not try plug the gap.....unlikely as if anything he is to competitive to want to drive cannon fodder.

I doubt anyone has the ability to comeback after being 100 points down....

But recently F1 has been very strange....the ban which is going to be introduced in Silverstone can change everything, but then again....it might not.

Webber ... however ... has had significantly more mechanical problems than Seb...So had this not been the case Webber would have potentially had a few more snatched points from Vettel and Vettel wouldn't be so far in the lead, my goodness he only managed to take the WDC at the very end of the WDC last year, Vettel alone isn't that good and Webber isn't that bad in comparison...I don't think they believe Vettel is unbeatable though.

Webber is suffering the same way now the way Vettel suffered with the RB6-Renault last year (Bahrain, Australia, Spain, Korea).

True, Webber isn't that much slower than Vettel, you're right...but he's slow enough to make a difference in qually grid position which ends up costing race position.

You're right, Vettel IS beatable. Vettel's, however, proving to be very consistent and he's really doing a good deal to minimize his driving errors and, i'd suggest, has improved in that respect this year over last. Cheers, Hamberg. :)

You're right, Vettel IS beatable. Vettel's, however, proving to be very consistent and he's really doing a good deal to minimize his driving errors and, i'd suggest, has improved in that respect this year over last. Cheers, Hamberg. :)

Yep, I'd agree with that. Still don't think the others are running scared though :)

Okay I have seen people saying that us Ferrari fans should see the good things and the light from some "better" showings of late....but the question remains.....will Ferrari win a race (let alone races)? and if not can that really justify being called and elite team in formula one? failure only puts ferrari on a par with Mercedes and Renault because right now McLaren are over the hill and far away...and RBR I won't venture to say how silly they are making Ferrari look.

It don't matter whom the driver is, if the car is pants you are essentially going to be pants.

I think you are quite pessimistic when it comes to Ferrari, they could have won in Canada, I think if Alonso let Massa through in the early stages Massa could have caught Vettel, but that was never going to happen.

Who thought they would win a race in 2009 after stopping development?

I think you are quite pessimistic when it comes to Ferrari, they could have won in Canada, I think if Alonso let Massa through in the early stages Massa could have caught Vettel, but that was never going to happen.

Who thought they would win a race in 2009 after stopping development?

Actions speak louder than words, right now the puppet Dominicalli has a lot of hot air about just where Ferrari are at this point but the end results are not as beautiful and that is where it matters........what if's and but for's don't really count for much.

Ferrari are very competitive on Super-Softs and Softs but have a tough time on Hards. They were there near the front with Alonso at Monaco and almost as close with Massa in Canada. They have chances to win races. I think that should be good enough at this stage.

If you want a WDC for Ferrari in 2011, well that ain't gonna happen. Race wins? Very possible.

If you ask most people associated with Ferrari, they want titles, drivers and constructors, as do most sides but with Ferrari you kind of expect a better showing than the limp efforts so far.

Could have this at monaco and that in Canada, the reality is that none of this good stuff has materialised. What I will say is that there has been bad luck with Canada being one and perhaps the Lewis/Alonso incident at Malaysia being the other and perhaps the season would be a little more rosey.

It is said in most sport you make your own luck, McLaren did that at Shanghai and Canada, Ferrari may feel victims of missfortune but again if you don't put yourself in a position for fortune to favour the brave you can't really say naught about bad luck. I am still waiting to see this competitive car Dominicalli was refering to?

If you ask most people associated with Ferrari, they want titles...

Too bad. Perhaps they should go out and earn them...as opposed to having the FIA load the dice in their favour.

More specific to this thread, you might have a change in fortune with the engine mapping and EBD off-throttle rulings and, thus, be able to tackle Red Bull at circuits where Pirelli nominate Softs and Super-softs. Mediums even. But getting the measure of McLaren may be another matter. McLaren look even stronger than Red Bull now, in my opinion...so good luck with it.

When you get rid of Brawn and Todt and don't have Byrne anymore, you can't expect titles to be automatically handed on Silver Platters, especially if you've strategically gone 'All Latin'. I don't quite fully respect this iteration of the Ferrari organization. They don't operate correctly to my liking.

Fernando's latest Ferrari Blog - 20 June, 2011:

http://www.ferrari.com/English/Scuderia/Blogs/Alonso/default.aspx

In a few days, the European Grand Prix weekend gets underway. It’s the second race of the season held in Spain and it is an important one for Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro and for me, as it presents another opportunity for me to race in front of my fans. To tell the truth, I’ve never been that lucky in this race since it’s been held on the Valencia street circuit, especially last year when, despite having a very competitive car, I finished down in eighth place. However, everyone remembers what happened with the appearance of the Safety Car and there’s no point going over it again. I always believe that luck and bad luck balance out by the end of the season and maybe this unwritten rule also applies to race tracks. If that’s the case, I would be more than happy if last year’s misfortune was paid back now! In fact, it seems that in general so far this season, luck has not come our way: in the race in Montreal, not one damned thing went right.

I know that our fans are eagerly awaiting our first win of the season and I can assure you that the same goes for us. At the last two races, we showed we were clearly capable of winning and, especially in Monaco, we came pretty close, although I believe that even in Canada I could have fought for it all the way to the end, given what we had seen in qualifying. Now we go to a track with reasonably similar characteristics to Montreal and there is no obvious reason why we should not be competitive here too. The 150º Italia will be pretty much in the same configuration seen at the last race and the major new element will be the race debut of the Pirelli Medium compound tyre, running alongside the Soft. Over the winter, I got the chance to test this tyre, but now it will be a completely different ball game, given that the difference in temperature compared to February and March will be of the order of 20 degrees and because the Valencia track characteristics definitely cannot be compared to those of Jerez and Barcelona, nor to the permanent track at Cheste, around twenty kilometres from the city centre. In Montreal, we were able to assess these tyres during the two free practice sessions on Friday, but it’s one thing to do a few laps on a track that is not necessarily that well adapted to this type of tyre and quite another to evaluate it in depth with an eye on qualifying and the race.

I feel special ties to the city of Valencia as it has become something of a symbolic place in the history of my relationship with Ferrari. It was in fact in Cheste that I made my first public appearance after having signed my first contract with Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro, at the 2009 Ferrari Days event and it was also at this track that I had my first official drive of a Formula 1 Ferrari, on 3 February last year. Well, maybe that means it’s time to add another “first” to this story…And actually, I have already won the European Grand Prix twice before, when the race was run at the Nurburgring: as the saying goes, “never two without three…”

Seems to me like he's optimistic about winning at Valencia.

No pessimism there!

Back
Top Bottom