Alonso's Ferrari Blog: On Losing Monaco To Vettel & Silverstone Cut-Off for WDC

I doubt Alonso will want to help any young driver who's interested in being a future Number 1. Nando simply isn't built that way. Nando has his hands full with two of the All Time Greats in the making with Vettel / Hamilton who are still very young. Perez going to Ferrari too early could be a mistake if Perez has any designs of being a future Number 1. Checo's best course of action would be to get close to Kobayashi on performance, have Koba leave for a better seat for 2012 and, then, successfully lead the excellent little Sauber team for two years. Then make his move.

It is the cut off for the WDC, but not the cut off to stop developing their car. The main reason why they stopped developing their car in 2009, was because their was big rule changes and they were hoping to get the jump on the other team, plus Alonso was on his way. However, this year to next year I believe there are not many rule changes compared from 2009 to 2010.

Another thing about Ferrari, is, that they trust too much in Alonso, they are doing the opposite of what McLaren are doing with Hamilton, McLaren don't trust Hamilton's input as much as they are confident in what they are doing, while Ferrari want Alonso's input as at the moment they are all over the place.

Now, let's look at their benchmark, Red Bull, their drivers trust the team, the team trusts it drivers, they seem to know what they are doing and are more balanced.

Ferrari are expecting too much from Alonso, like they did from Raikkonen, but they have figured out one thing with their time with Raikkonen, the driver doesn't build the car or lead the team. When Schumacher was there he had a proper team leader with him, great designer, great tactician.

They are suffering from all that, but they think the driver can solve all those problems, unfortunately for them, that is not the case...

The team, like McLaren must take their chances, which they are failing to do at the moment. McLaren could have won in Spain and Monaco, they had the fastest car at both tracks, and Ferrari could have win at Monaco and achieved at least second in Turkey.

The more they take their chances, the more likely they are to stay in the title hunt.

Don't think this is that relevant but still very interesting and it shows that Ferrari are undeniably in Alonso's corner now.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/06/behind-the-scenes-at-ferrari-alonso-imagery-takes-over/

Not much mention of Massa was there?

Back on topic... I think Ferrari have already lost the title, while everyone is off Reb Bulls qualifying pace at least McLaren can usually get 3rd and 4th without too much trouble, whereas the best Alonso can usually hope for is 4th or 5th. Alonso has to win at least 1 of the next 2 races with Vettel scoring poorly to even stand a chance...

F1 »

Ferrari considers 2011 write off

Could Ferrari be ready to switch focus to the 2012 F1 season?

Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali has hinted that Ferrari will soon be faced with a decision as to whether it turns its focus to the 2012 F1 season and writes off the 2011 campaign.

After seven races, Ferrari has just two podium finishes and is 154 points behind Red Bull in the constructors' championship. In the drivers' standings, Fernando Alonso – the best placed of the two Ferrari drivers – is now 92 points down on Sebastian Vettel after his retirement from the Canadian GP.

The tough start to 2011 has already seen Ferrari undertake a reshuffle of its technical team and Domenicali admitted that the upcoming races would now shape the team's approach to the remainder of the year.

"Ferrari is at a crucial moment of the season," he told Germany's Die Welt 'paper. "In the next races until after the British Grand Prix we will decide whether we continue to push for the world title or work already for the next season."

However, despite losing further ground in the title race in Canada following Alonso's retirement and an unscheduled extra pit-stop for Felipe Massa after he damaged his front wing while passing Narain Karthikeyan's Hispania, Domenicali said Ferrari wouldn't give up hope.

“When you have days like this you want to turn the page immediately, forgetting the negatives and hanging on to the positive aspects,” he said on the official Ferrari website. “Partly down to the characteristics of the track and also because of all the work we are doing, we are beginning to see the benefits of our efforts, as was the case in Monaco and also in Montreal where we were competitive enough to fight for the win.

“We must continue down this path, because sooner or later the results will come. Now there is no point looking at the classifications in both championships, as it does not make sense at the moment. We must act like football teams who find they have dropped behind and play every match in an attacking manner, only going for the win. Then, if the others slip up and the situation changes, we will see where we are.”

100 points behind is rather a large gap, if it remains the same by Silverstone they have no choice really, considering all the noises coming out of Maranello pre season it has been rather embarrasing for them this year apart from Turkey.

100 points behind is rather a large gap, if it remains the same by Silverstone they have no choice really, considering all the noises coming out of Maranello pre season it has been rather embarrasing for them this year apart from Turkey.

It has been *facepalm after facepalm......really disappointing for Alonso to be in this situation after last.....

It ain't over yet but from Alonso's comments he is realistic enough to say that this year is pretty much over.

This might have to spin off another thread but wouldn't Ferrari be better off taking a back step and getting everything sorted for the new regulations in 2013? If their car is slow in 2011 then it's likely to be slow in 2012.

I think Ferrari's problem is that heads roll at the first sign of problems, I think we are seeing now how the changes after Abu Dhabi have affected them. It has certainly not made things better.

This might have to spin off another thread but wouldn't Ferrari be better off taking a back step and getting everything sorted for the new regulations in 2013? If their car is slow in 2011 then it's likely to be slow in 2012.

Shhhh don't tell Dominicali that....he was convinced this was the season.........while Alonso was always cautious during pre-season as to how good the car was.

Ferrari need a back room re-work...techs to brain boffs....to management.

I think Ferrari's problem is that heads roll at the first sign of problems, I think we are seeing now how the changes after Abu Dhabi have affected them. It has certainly not made things better.

Nobody got fired after Abu Dhabi, and their should have been sackings. only recently a voluntary resignation, but the hiarchy needs the boot and a new direction is needed.

Nobody got fired after Abu Dhabi, and their should have been sackings. only recently a voluntary resignation, but the hiarchy needs the boot and a new direction is needed.

Chris Dyer took the heat for Abu Dhabi but wasn't fired, and I think moved to another position within the organization. The hierarchy as you say needs the boot, and it should start right at the top with......Luca.

I'm not saying I disagree but I'm interested to know why you think there should have been sackings after Abu Dhabi?

I'm not saying I disagree but I'm interested to know why you think there should have been sackings after Abu Dhabi?

Because Ferrari were Pants which ever way you look at it, and it was a golden ticket to a drivers world championship, so they pitted Alonso at the wrong time.........It was Ferrari's only moment and they fluffed it.

Dominicalli will be putting his neck on the block if he halts development this season and the 2012 season starts like this one, I reckon if he doesnt get the boot at the end of this season, we are looking at Turkey or Spain next year.

When can I start the "SAVE FERRARI " campaign?

Oh and yes the Av is Ferrari's 2012 car, handles like a beast, aerodynamically sound and comes with optional ram bars.

Because Ferrari were Pants which ever way you look at it, and it was a golden ticket to a drivers world championship, so they pitted Alonso at the wrong time.........It was Ferrari's only moment and they fluffed it.

Ok I understand how painful that race must have been, but it was one mistake on one race, I think they did a great job getting Fernando in that position in the first place against all the odds. This is also a team that managed to get a rule changed in their favour for the small price of £100k.

If you sack somebody for every mistake then they won't have anyone left to run the team or drive for them either! Also it's a team, one person can never take sole responsibility for a strategic mistake, they have the boss and the driver there to either support, query or refuse the decision.

You can start your save Ferrari campaign, not entirely sure they need it mind :)

Its the defeatism that is damaging them. At Abu Dhabi they could have said: "OK, we made a strategic mistake. We've made them before; everyone makes them. But we're nowhere near close to Red Bull and we fought them for the WDC to the last race. If we hadn't had bad luck at Silverstone and Valencia with Safety Cars we'd be the WDC with a car at times a second slower!"

But thats not how they saw it, and they've failed to take the positives from 2010 as a result.

It probably is defeatism but some of that attitude is bestowed because of decisions of those calling the shots..

Ferrari and off season has become to much of a wine and dine affair and puffing up a car by pre-season stats and numbers, really the effort is missing at Ferrari and right now can anyone fan or neutral really have any faith in what is happening. To qualify 2nd and 3rd and walk of with 12pts is rather like a lead hook to the jaw by Mike Tyson in his prime.

Back
Top Bottom