Alonso Interview On Hamilton And Vettel

It could also be argued that Lewis beat himself last year and that if he hadn't, then neither would Jenson have.

If Lewis beat himself last year, then that Lewis should have won the championship. But of course the other Lewis would still have been beaten by Button. :popcorn: ROFL

Same here Kewee. Realistically, the gap between the 3 will be tiny. Probably a tenth of a second average, something like that.

Jenson is certainly a big contender. He's proven himself beyond people's expectations of him. Does he have anymore to give though? I'd say Lewis and Nando are still the ones to beat in a close season. Jenson's problem is, though he has the consistency, Lewis is always going to be a couple of tenths ahead of him, so the only way Jenson will beat Lewis is if Lewis continues to run into trouble.

You're entitled to your opinion and we clearly won't change what each other thinks so this will be my last post on it.

Whether Button is better than Hamilton, the comments he makes about Hamilton such as the one below indicate that he respects Hamiltons speed. Button is a deserving champion and clearly fast considering how he's challenged for the title the past 3 seasons, but I just haven't heard anyone speak about him the way himself and others do about Hamilton.

"To be fair you know he's one the fastest guys ever in Formula One he really really is and to race alongside him, you know you learn a lot from him and hopefully he learns from me as well."
- Button on Hamilton at the Autosport awards

Jenson is certainly a big contender. He's proven himself beyond people's expectations of him. Does he have anymore to give though? I'd say Lewis and Nando are still the ones to beat in a close season. Jenson's problem is, though he has the consistency, Lewis is always going to be a couple of tenths ahead of him, so the only way Jenson will beat Lewis is if Lewis continues to run into trouble.

Fair comment, though we should never forget Jenson's drive in Canada last year, one the the greatest drives we've seen, ever!
He proved without any doubt that he's able to put in an absolute stormer. If he has any weakness at all it would be needing the car to be set-up perfectly to suit his strengths, though I'm not sure I would call this a weakness. It would be fairer on Jenson to say he has a little more difficulty driving around a poor handling car. In saying that, I've even seen Alonso, Hamilton and Schumacher go backwards through the field when their cars were handling like a trucks. It can happen to the best of them. :popcorn: Sorry, I can't stop scoffing this lovely popcorn. :snigger:

:popcorn: Sorry, I can't stop scoffing this lovely popcorn. :snigger:

It is a class smiley. Mind if I have some. ;) :popcorn:

This is going to be controversial, but I'm still smarting that Hamilton went out of that race in Canada. Those first few laps was the fastest he looked all season and then Jenson went and proved how possible it was for a Mclaren to win. Was drive of the season though all the same.

I honestly believe that Hamilton and button are equally matched, the last two seasons have proved that. and in changeable conditions Jenson is the master, after Canada even Alonso said as much, quote "he has something we don't and we had better learn"

You've got to admit though that the weather, the stoppage and safety cars helped a lot, as did taking out not only his teammate but also Alonso, and a rare error from the otherwise unshakable Vettel. :whistle: [gets coat and runs for door]
I wont argue this point again Button didn't take out hamilton and he never admitted it was his fault as somebody else on here contended, he never touched Alonso, Alonso lost it, and the safety car helped everyone still left in the race except Vettel.

Plus Button was 2 seconds a lap faster than anyone else in those conditions. Luck had nothing to do with his win.

Why is it people can't give credit where credit is due?

No question Button performed better than Hamilton in 2011, but when both drivers are driving at their best do you honestly believe that Button is better than Hamilton?

They're very different, one's very quick the other makes fewer mistakes, due undoubtedly to not being quite so on the edge.
There's not a driver in the field that could have put in a better judged drive than Button in Canada last year. Both Alonso and Hamilton made errors of judgment and put themselves out, Jenson didn't. His last fifteen odd laps from the rear of the field were simply stunning. Whether one's better than the other will be judged by results they achieve since Lewis came into the sport and they've both been on track competing at the same time. At present the scores in Jensons favor.

At the risk of upsetting everyone.

We mustn't forget that Jenson Button has been using the same machinery as Lewis for the past two seasons and won numerous GPs. He also beat Lewis in the WDC last season by quite some margin. I'd say Jenson Button is the best driver in F1 by quite some margin.

END OF DEBATE

I would say that if Button was the best driver, then in the second best car he should have almost matched, or even beaten Seb in the best car

He did non of this in fact he was not even able to get a pole whereas his team mate did, and won an equal amount of races even though he had more dnfs

Would have expected the best driver in F1 to have been much much closer to Seb and quali would be a big part of this

You've got to admit though that the weather, the stoppage and safety cars helped a lot, as did taking out not only his teammate but also Alonso, and a rare error from the otherwise unshakable Vettel. :whistle: [gets coat and runs for door]

I'm an Alonso fan Chad but even I will say Alonso took himself out. Regarding the incident between Button and Hamilton. There's a fundamental rule in motorsport at every level, the onus is on the overtaking driver to complete a pass safely. Put simply, Jenson was always going to follow the racing line where there was a little less water, he couldn't see in his mirrors and Lewis didn't allow for that. The fact remains, Lewis was the overtaking driver, Jenson was on the racing line, and Lewis hit him and took himself out.
I'll stick my neck out here and probably make myself unpopular. A lot has been said about Lewis's distractions last year. They were never more evident than in Canada. On the occasions the camera went to the McLaren pits during the race, it was full of rappers from the music industry and others from who knows where. I don't think I've ever seen a teams pit area full of so many hangers on, dare I say it, people that Lewis would have loved to impress, but ultimately would have been a huge distraction. Did that contribute to his collision with Jenson? If he was trying to impress his friends by showing his "superior" skills, maybe. :unsure:

It is a class smiley. Mind if I have some. ;) :popcorn:

This is going to be controversial, but I'm still smarting that Hamilton went out of that race in Canada. Those first few laps was the fastest he looked all season and then Jenson went and proved how possible it was for a Mclaren to win. Was drive of the season though all the same.

:friends: yum yum:popcorn: here, have a drink too :snacks:

Since 2007, in 90 starts Hamilton has scored 1 WDC, 17 wins, 42 podiums, 19 pole positions, 11 fastest laps.

In his whole career, in 208 starts Button has scored 1 WDC, 12 wins, 43 podiums, 7 pole positions, 6 fastest laps.
I don't think comparing career stats is fair they both have had very different routes into FI and Jenson has only had a competitive drive for the last 3 years, where as Lewis was groomed for a top team the same as Vettel was.

Stats mean nothing without comparing the situation of the individuals concerned, as I'm sure you know.

Back
Top Bottom