A week in sport (excluding auto)

Sarinaide

Banned
NBA:

It is strange to think that in a country where football and autosport is the order of the day, one of the biggest stars in Germany happens to be now a NBA champion, Dirk and the Mavs sticking it to the now most hated team in NBA was truely a sight to behold.

Still Lebron "king" is without bling and long may it continue.:p

TENNIS:

Andy Murray wins at Queens, well we should not really be surprised, Andy wins a lot, just not when it matters most.

Tsonga beating a rather iffy Nadal was the moment of the tournament.

FOOTBALL

Man United spending heavily on overpriced English players by signing Phil Jones and Ashley Young on long term deals for aroung 36million combinded.

Man City want away full back Jerome Boateng signs a contract with Bayern FC without the clubs agreeing a fee, if this is not chump of the week material then what is.

McLeish leaves Birmingham to go to Vila(talk), Birmingham accuse rivals of tap up....meanwhile McLeish reportedly wants Larsson and Gardner to follow suit.

My beloved Newcastle complete the signing of Yohan Cabaye, and reportedly will sign Mevlut Erding(PSG 9m) and Demba Ba(West Ham 5m) in the comming days. Alan Smith, Sol Campbell, Shefqi Kuqi told to leave.

Man City, footballs flavour of the month, lots of money and some players are drawn to the money go round cash cow circus. Cristiano Ronaldo(diver) to City.....pffft as if.

CRICKET

Windies diabolical as India's pretenders trounce the hapless collapso boys.

Proteas appoint Kirsten as head coach while Russell Domingo and Allan Donald complete the coaching staff.

De Villiers and Amla head the captain and vice captaincy of the limited overs side, while Smith and De Villiers head the captain and vice captaincy of the test squad.

NBA:

It is strange to think that in a country where football and autosport is the order of the day, one of the biggest stars in Germany happens to be now a NBA champion, Dirk and the Mavs sticking it to the now most hated team in NBA was truely a sight to behold.

Still Lebron "king" is without bling and long may it continue.:p

Believe me, Nowitzki's not only a mega-star in Germany now, he's a hero and a savior to fans across the NBA spectrum. From Celtics fans to Lakers fans and everyone in between, they all shared one hope this year (other than winning the title themselves), that LeBron James would NOT win the championship. Having kept the Miami "Heatles" out of the winner's circle this year, Dirk has elevated himself into the conversation about best players in the league.

Believe me, Nowitzki's not only a mega-star in Germany now, he's a hero and a savior to fans across the NBA spectrum. From Celtics fans to Lakers fans and everyone in between, they all shared one hope this year (other than winning the title themselves), that LeBron James would NOT win the championship. Having kept the Miami "Heatles" out of the winner's circle this year, Dirk has elevated himself into the conversation about best players in the league.

Career 92% free thrower and 97% free throw average during the entire playoffs, Dirk just needed the ring to place himself firmly in the history of greatest players. The Mavs stood up big this season, beating the Lakers, OKC thunder and Heat to lift the NBA championship. The did it without Butler too, so perhaps something of a transition for the Mavericks going forward.

Now all I need is the Stars and Cowboys to follow suit.

Baseball

My slumping A's fired Bob Geren amidst a 1-9 road trip and fan pressure. Geren headed the Athletics since 2006 and failed to achieve a winning record (+.500 or above 50% winning ratio of total games played eg: wins/162(or as many games played at current) The A's are headed by Bob Melvin and the record not much better, currently the A's are last in the American League West with a 28-40 record (.412) and 12 games back of .500.

Now all I need is......... the Cowboys to follow suit.

If they play this year that is.....

People think the F1 powers like to bicker about revenue? The NFL owners and players can't even figure out how to split up a 9 BILLION dollar pie at the moment. It's not an exaggeration to say that if they miss any games at all this year, it would be the most embarrassing moment in American sports history. Billionaires squabbling with Millionaires is not how you want your entire league perceived (which it actually already is anyway).

If they play this year that is.....

People think the F1 powers like to bicker about revenue? The NFL owners and players can't even figure out how to split up a 9 BILLION dollar pie at the moment. It's not an exaggeration to say that if they miss any games at all this year, it would be the most embarrassing moment in American sports history. Billionaires squabbling with Millionaires is not how you want your entire league perceived (which it actually already is anyway).

The similar thing with the NHL a while back, but the NFL and Goodell are not covering themselves in glory at all. The big issues in the NFL were "illegal hits" and "head injuries" beyond that nothing of arbitration or revenue was ever considered until it was too late.

If Goodell was less concerned with Banning Rodney Harrison at every venture and concerned himself more with administration of the league it would not be in such a mess. I am guessing Terrell and Chad Ochocinco are going to be the most paid men in the NFL with there reality shows.

The similar thing with the NHL a while back

Yes, all the leagues here have had their work stoppages, but none has ever had as far to fall as the NFL. The National Football League is the unquestioned king of American Sport right now, and they are coming dangerously close to alienating a huge segment of their fanbase. Remember, there will still be about 100 college games to watch on Saturdays.

When the Major League Baseball players went on strike in 1994 and the World Series was cancelled, the MLB went into a period of steep decline. It took the (steroid fueled) HR chase of McGwire and Sosa to pull them out of that tailspin. Many people would argue that the NHL still hasn't recovered from it's "lost season". Although if the Bruins win tonight, all will be well in hockey land! :1st:

If Goodell was less concerned with Banning Rodney Harrison at every venture

I shudder to think how much Rodney would have paid out in fines if he played during the Goodell era. James Harrison is certainly trying to show us what it might have been like though. :D

My bad James Harrison, and the Pittsburgh thugs.

Don't worry, I knew exactly who you were talking about. It has been a pretty good year for the "Bad Guys" going down in the big game(s); Steelers, Heat, Canucks tonight (fingers crossed, touch wood and all that stuff) :cheer:

My hated teams:

NHL:

Sharks, Devils, Penguins

NFL:

Giants(Gee Man you suck), Eagles(oh the hate), Dreadskins, Patriots, Steelers.

MLB:

Yankees, Rangers, Angels, White Sox

This week of sports:
Football- No prem for some stupid international reason
England are through!
England are out!
Wales are through!
The RWC semi finals are all good to go

Tennis

Murray beats Nadal in Japan

The rest-
Urmm I don't know