A Radical Idea

I think that is where it ends up. Just how you have Toro Rossos jumping out of the way of Red Bulls already, except ten times worse.

When HRT came in to F1 weren't their chassis made by Dallara? You have to wonder why a company such as Dallara or Lola (if they have risen Phoenix like from their latest collapse) shouldn't be allowed to make a chassis which a potential entrant could then bolt a Ferrari or Renault power plant to and be allowed to enter F1.

Not sure if the likes of Williams or McLaren et al would really want to get in to making cars for others to beat them with though.

I would also go one stage further and encourage a greater number of alternative power options. If there is a limit on turbo boost let teams used a diesel, methanol, LPG or petrol engine if they want. Can you imagine if Audi or Peugeot started using the hybrid technology they have in their LMP1 cars in F1. 20% less fuel than the petrol boys so a much lighter car.

I posted a version of this in the "was it on purpose?" thread (slightly in error, it must be said :embarrassed:)

Let's not monkey with the existing system of teams, constructors & suppliers - instead, have the grid line up by WDC points in reverse order on Sunday (i.e. fastest/most successful at the back), and let them fight their way back to the front through the midfield and backmarkers. We saw how exciting that was in Suzuka '05 - the cream inevitably rises to the top by the end of the race.

Oh, and get rid of the stupid 2-compound rule, and let the teams run whatever tyre strategy they like. And no Abu Double!

We already have a common chassis and fixed engine supplier formula ... Indycar ... which I must admit grows on you ... a lot more road and street races than ovals ... though the ovals aren't too bad ... and the penchant for pushing too hard and binning it brings the field back together for restarts ... it is rare that one driver / team can pull out a huge lead and dominate a race ... though it has happened on occasion where there were no caution / yellow flags ... quite rare ...

For mine, F1 is supposed to represent the pinnacle of motorsport ... with 60+ years of heritage embedded and ingrained within ...

Budget / resource restraints / cost caps are all well and good ... but very hard to effectively police ... when Messr. Ecclestone cashed in to private equity / hedge funds to mine, that is where the current perilous financial state of play started to play out... but that is for another thread ...

Do I like seeing one team dominate ... I can only remember 2010 being a season where three constructors had a legitimate shot at the drivers ... without diving into my Frankenstein's monster stats files ... there are probably plenty of examples of a two team shootout ... but more often than not one always rises to the top well before the season concludes ...

Like tax regulations ... F1 is becoming afflicted with too many regulated conformances ... they are sold to you mostly under the moniker of "cost cutting" ... some as "environmentally responsible" ... but that is horseshit ... it is unfortunately the way we (prepare for generalized rant) are heading as a western civilized society, where everyone gets a medal for breathing and that groups of over-educated well intentioned clowns believe that we can eliminate the making of mistakes (rant over) ...

So the ZY prescription ...

* Open up all compound tyre choices and give teams enough tyres to get on with it... mixing up the race strategies
* Get rid of the fuel flow rules ... but leave the set fuel limit in place ... let the Renault run as hard as they want to and turn into a golf cart for the last two laps
* Increase the power unit # rules ... 6 for a 19 race season ... you don't learn about what you have until you blow it up a few times...
* Give the drivers a set number of ERS seconds per race ... not a per lap allowance ...
* Bring back in season testing ...
* Make February testing month ...
* And most importantly ... "F1" to be sold to a extremely rich invidual who loves F1 and wants to keep it on top of the motorsport heap ... I have applied ... but I am missing all connections to "rich" ...

Last edited:
Generally with you ZY but I wouldn't have set number of ERS; let it be as much as the system in your car lets you use (just like DRS should be - don't get me started :whistle:)... that way the onus moves to not only increasing fuel efficiency but also ERS efficiency / effectiveness.

BIGGEST problem (well one of them) with F1 is too many controls about what teams can do in the race.

I have never considered F1 "the pinnacle of motorsport" as, historically sports cars (LeMans etc) has been far more innovative. It might, however, be considered the pinnacle of open-wheel racing. It is primarily known to the general public as the place where the WDC is crowned, NOT who won the Constructors championship, although the teams will undoubtedly disagree.

Because of that, the only way, IMO to ensure that the best driver is crowned is through all participants having equal cars, which can only come through a spec series. Is that really what fans want? I don't claim to have the answer as I suspect that the response of the "fan" and that of the general public would probably be rather different.

Thanks Wombcat... that should throw some perspective on the 'dull' discussion.
It will be probably be a longer answer but...
How many championship years where it was really down to 1 team / 2 drivers at the end?

What is F1?

F1 should always be about striving for the best performance possible from the cars. Competition between teams should continue as well as the development race that goes on....

By definition if it is a single spec series then no single team development can go on.

I know what F1 is supposed to be, It is supposed to be the pinnacle of motor racing and what it isn't supposed to be, it isn't supposed to be a three team series supplying customer spec cars to fatten up the grid...

Why does everybody think this idea is strictly customer cars? Literally just go look at DTM, where Audi, BMW, and Mercedes all make cars but the teams can do what they want with the cars. There's a big difference between a spec series where everybody uses the same cars and a series with three or four completely different models with three or four teams doing completely different things with their cars of each model.

soccerman17 ... a very good point ... same exists in NASCAR and Indycar ... where the cars / chassis are common to 1,2 or 3 options ... as are the engines ...

To make the proposal work, what we know as Ferrari, Williams, McLaren, RBR, Mercedes, Lotus, etc will all no longer exist ... they will not be racing teams ... they will simply be suppliers of the "car" ... possible with or without engine / gearbox and other technology ... and the engine providers will need to be treated the same way ... just vendors to the teams ... similar to now, but real third parties ... with no favouritism ... and to make that work then the *new* teams cannot be in any way shape or form affiliated to the "pre" (or currently existing) teams ... and cannot be named as such imho ... and cannot share anything ... such as office space, facilities, etc ...

So yes ... it could work, but you will basically be drawing a big fat black texta line under F1 pre-change ... to make way for F1 post-change ... and that to mine is a massive reconfiguration of what is F1 has evolved to ... not impossible ... but a massive undertaking ...

Last edited:
It's a valid suggestion, but I think the problem is that the engineering behind it is really what differentiates F1 from other series. To be honest, if I want to watch the 'best racing' then I'll watch V8 Supercars or IndyCar. Both of these series employ the same "sort of spec racing series" method like NASCAR and DTM (IndyCar is allowing Chevy and Honda 'aero kits' to be run on the Dallara chassis from next year I believe, so there will be more than just different engines).

I don't mind if F1 races are 'boring' and dominated by one team with little overtaking, because there is a certain level of intensity that builds up, and when things go wrong then all hell breaks loose. Yesterday's Canadian GP is a perfect example of that.

I understand many teams are struggling without being able to buy a chassis, but it sort of isn't 'the point' of Formula One.

Just reading a report about Haas abandoning the Dallara chassis proposal for his team and I came across this paragraph on autosport:

Gene Haas now wants a technical partnership with a current Formula 1 manufacturer to get his new team on the 2016 grid, having decided against plans to use Dallara chassis.

'Customer car' rules will be relaxed from 2015 to allow teams to buy more parts from other outfits - a new opportunity Haas intends to make the most of.

Rather than the original idea of using racing car constructor Dallara to build his first F1 challenger, Haas wants to buy engines and as much of a car as his team can from another squad.

I've not been able to find further information on this, the link in the article just takes you to a article about tyre warmers. Is this just usual autosport nonsense or is there any truth to this?

There are rumours that he wants some sort of partnership with Ferrari.

Not sure why, because they have been doing shit.

Back
Top Bottom