A great drivers missing bits

The post race press conferences were about as exciting as cold porridge though. At the other end, which driver's ego got in the way of a career in F1? I'll kick you off with Tommy Byrne for a start.

I'm tempted to say Carlos Reutemann. It didn't help that he was brought into Ferrari to replace Lauda when Lauda wasn't quite ready to be replaced but Reutemann lasted one season at Lotus before walking away despite Chapman's assurances of full number 1 status for 1980. Then he had all of that trouble with Williams and the throwing away of the title in 81 followed by the great strop off in 82.

How would you describe Jacque Villeneuve's move to BAR. A lack of good sense. No ambition, only thinking about the money?

Definitely something missing with Jacque in that crazy move.

Jacques just lacked the ability to be even an average driver, he did have a great publicity machine behind him to get him good drives. If Jacques was nearly great then Jenson must be the greatestLOLLOL

You wonder what Emerson Fittipaldi was missing when he went to Copersucar ??
I recently watched "1-Life on the Limit", and Max Mosely alluded to it by saying "...once a driver starts caring more about safety than winning, then his best days are behind him...". Succinct, as ever...I wish he was still FIA president, frankly.

Jacques just lacked the ability to be even an average driver, he did have a great publicity machine behind him to get him good drives. If Jacques was nearly great then Jenson must be the greatestLOLLOL

I think he was at least an average driver. He lacked motivation though

I seem to recall a driver who was missing a leg and with the help of his fellow drivers he fooled the race stewards into believing that his wooden leg was in fact real and was allowed to drive, I would say he had a missing bit, but I'm buggered if I can remember his name..

I don't understand why people consider Jacque Villeneuve average. Rookie of the year in Cart Indycars in 1994 including 2nd in that years Indy 500. Won the title the following year including victory in that years Indy 500. 1997 Formula One World Champion only one year after his rookie F1 season. Only a win at Le Mans is missing from the triple of Indy, a Formula One Title and Le Mans. Maybe he's made some bad career moves but his results speak for themselves.

As a rule Indy car drivers don't make top F1 drivers, JV was given the top F1 car as was Mario Andretti, JV was given Damon Hill s seat, Andretti was outclassed by Ronnie Petersen, but team orders ensured the wrong result, in the top car dollars count more than skill. JV believing his marketing hype joined BAR which struggled until Jenson came along wiped the floor with him and produced results causing JV to go home.

Dartman ..... Your answer still ignores Villeneuve's racing results. It's worth remembering the 1998 Williams was underpowered so you can't blame him for his poor results that year. As far as his time with Craig Pollock, they had a very close friendship dating back to not long after his fathers death. His time with BAR was lucrative financially without doubt, but their friendship held them together despite the poor results. It's fair to say by the time Pollock was sacked in 2002 Villenueve's heart was no longer in the team so the comparison with Jenson is meaningless.

Villeneuve's results in his first year in F1 were a record which stood until it was equalled, though not bettered, by Lewis Hamilton. Just one more reason I choose to rate him. :)

As a rule Indy car drivers don't make top F1 drivers, JV was given the top F1 car as was Mario Andretti, JV was given Damon Hill s seat, Andretti was outclassed by Ronnie Petersen, but team orders ensured the wrong result, in the top car dollars count more than skill. JV believing his marketing hype joined BAR which struggled until Jenson came along wiped the floor with him and produced results causing JV to go home.

Jacques was not given Damon's seat. He was part of the team by the time Hill lost his. Literarily Villenueve earned his seat at Williams with good results. Andretti was a really hard worker. Peterson wouldn't commit to testing and wouldn't know how to set up the car. And Button did better than JV with the BAR but I wouldn't describe it as wiping the floor with poor old JV.

As far as his time with Craig Pollock, they had a very close friendship dating back to not long after his fathers death. His time with BAR was lucrative financially without doubt, but their friendship held them together despite the poor results.
I was thinking that last night - I was pretty sure the main reason he went to BAR was to work with Craig Pollock.

Back
Top Bottom