A crisis at Ferrari?

I'll bet Alonso is a happy guy LOL

He was already showing flashes of irritation last season ('I give up'), and if that car cant challenge this season ( he will be looking at going into his 7th year without a WC)

I would say he is likely to pop around the time the European races start

Here's what Pat Fry has to say.

Asked where he felt Ferrari stood and if he was excluding podium finishes at present, Fry replied: "At the moment, I'd say yes. But I suppose I'm always slightly pessimistic."

He admitted that Ferrari had plenty of ground to make up, and that a decision to change its exhaust position mid-way through testing had added to the challenge.

"I am disappointed by our performance level at the moment," said Fry. "I think we've got a lot of work to do.

"The change we made last week to the exhaust position has put us a little bit on the back foot and we're trying to optimise to that. We've obviously still got a lot of work going on at the factory and we'll have new bits to test in Melbourne."

Fry said it was hard to be certain exactly where Ferrari stood in the pecking order, beyond that it was trailing the frontrunners.

"Testing is always hard to see exactly where you are," he said.

"We knew historically what fuel levels people have run, so we've got an idea where they are, but if they've changed what they've done for the last two or three years, I could either be depressed, more disappointed or less disappointed, I don't know.

"I think we've still got a reasonable amount of work to do."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97841

Wonder how long before they change something more fundimental. Like the Technical Director.

They just seem to fail to come up with anything innovative these days and more content to just copy others. Considering their budget and history and the fact they allegedly only exist to race its a fairly poor show.

Vettel Broke the Front Wing, then the gearbox went faulty shortly beore they were going to send him back out. I wouldn't pay any attention to headline laptimes.

Like you I know the problems that kept Vettel in the pits, the point I was making was the need for plenty of laps to test and tune their new upgrades, something they've been unable to do. I still think they have issues to resolve, we'll all know after Q3 in Australia.

They just seem to fail to come up with anything innovative these days and more content to just copy others. Considering their budget and history and the fact they allegedly only exist to race its a fairly poor show.

Pardon! The entire cars is innovative which is why they will take time to develop it. :whistle:

Another way of looking at it I suppose is they are not as bad as McLaren were at this point last year. Nothing to stop them doing the same and completely rebuilding the thing. Chances of 2 teams gettin away with it having no issues in 2 years though... I thought McLaren were lucky last year tbh.

McLaren were only in that situation because they were experimenting with the Octo-exhuast design and could not make it work, hence they were not exploiting a successful exhaust solution, by abandoning the Octo-exhuast and adopting an exhaust solution that actually worked they could gain 8 tenths between the last test and Melbourne.

I doubt Ferrari have the potential to make such gains in only 2 weeks.

....I doubt Ferrari have the potential to make such gains in only 2 weeks

Does anyone know precisely what problems Ferrari have? Unless they do they are not likely to know how much work needs to be done to provide a solution. I would have that that with their resources Ferrari will be in at least as good a position as any other team to fix their problems.

Does anyone know precisely what problems Ferrari have? Unless they do they are not likely to know how much work needs to be done to provide a solution. I would have that that with their resources Ferrari will be in at least as good a position as any other team to fix their problems.

Hear hear Bill. :wave:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17252539

What do people make of Pat Fry's comments about Ferrari's chances at Melbourne? Ferrari aren't in the business of making themselves look bad without cause, so this pessimism seems pretty damming to me. Anyone else see them behind Mercedes?

It's certainly interesting, I really couldn't see a team like Ferrari being this down about their chances, depending on how Mercedes are, Ferrari could be the 4th fastest team if they don't make a very quick turnaround

He was already showing flashes of irritation last season ('I give up'), and if that car cant challenge this season ( he will be looking at going into his 7th year without a WC)

I would say he is likely to pop around the time the European races start

If you read what he is quoted as saying he sounds less likely to pop than some other drivers.

"We still have many things to improve. We have to grit our teeth and keep improving little by little."

It was noticeable that after he said that he had given he drove just as hard, in fact Martin Brundle said that it was a message to make his competitors relax and not a message about what he intended to do.

I actually think the message was a clear dig at Ferrari's decision to allow Massa to hold him up. Alonso doesn't give up.

Back
Top Bottom