2024 silly season

FB i would say never underestimate Aston martin they remind me of Red Bull 20yrs ago. in that they are chucking money at it. when everyone was sidetracked by the romantic notion of ferrari. i thought dont discount Aston martin because they can match Newey's Ferrari offer & doesnt have relocate

Max makes sense because alonso i assume will leave after ending of 2026. at 45? & if Ford engine is as bad people rumoured it is. verstappen will want to leave

Im fully aware that i could be making a terrible predictions again. like "verstappen is too young at 17 & should have a season to develop in F2, go to toro rosso the yr after" doh. but Antonelli has shown glimpses recently of genius. British F2 Wet race was amazing, Hungary Drive was very good. but to me seems abit too raw to be chucked into the deep end. wouldve made more sense to go sainz to go mercedes & Antonelli like russell to learn under the radar at williams

@FB i would say never underestimate Aston martin they remind me of Red Bull 20yrs ago. in that they are chucking money at it. when everyone was sidetracked by the romantic notion of ferrari. i thought dont discount Aston martin because they can match Newey's Ferrari offer & doesnt have relocate
I fully agree with your take on Aston: they are not to be taken lightly. By landing Newey they have proven that they’re serious about getting to the top and are willing to put up as much money as the sport will allow to get there. I felt the same re. Newey’s probable choice because of the relocation issue (not to understate the control issues that are also involved). As fans we tend to think more along the lines of just his F1 life. So, it’s easy to forget the all-important reality that he and his family would have to live their daily lives in the place where he was working—in other words, move to another country that has a different culture and a different language. I kind of thought that at this stage of his life he probably wouldn’t really want to do that, despite how intrigued he was about working for Ferrari.

I’m now wondering what effect this new situation has on Alonso, given the real potential of the team developing a winning car. Has this just extended the number of years he will want to stay in F1 with Aston? Will Aston want to keep him if they can land Max, as many are predicting they will attempt to do? Would Alonso even want to team with Max (and of course, there's the fact that FA is also battling a foe that eventually always wins--age)? It’s hard to imagine this situation ever becoming a reality but I guess you never know. On the surface, it seems that such a pairing would just be too volatile because they’re both such ultra-competitive drivers. Anyway, it’s always fun to speculate!

The Aston situation seems to making noises that Newey seems to be onboard.

2026 is going to be interesting because is Lawrence Stroll ambitious enough to have both Verstappen and Alonso because he will need a very strong team principal whilst dealing with Jos in his ear

If this is not happening then Stroll Snr will have to drop Alonso over his son and that could spell curtains for Alonso's career as I don't see Red Bull hiring him nor will Audi who probably are not front runners

This leaves either going back to Enstone with Flav there or heading to Merc against a rapid Antonelli probably
------------------

I did not think this through until it was mentioned on the Race YouTube podcast about the Mercedes situation

Currently Hamilton is going but seems to really like the upgrade and has finally stepped up

Then you have Russell who will be the No 1 for next year (?) unless in a shock twist Verstappen has a mighty fall out at Red Bull to send him running to Mercedes

Then you have Antonelli who has been praised to such a level I have not seen for a young driver in a while that Toto rates so highly

All this is pointing to Russell maybe not be the No 1 that Mercedes were banking on as the team leader and the driver they believe in that can deliver them success.

Which leads to think if Russell is surplus to requirements his only options would be Aston or Red Bull given Ferrari and Mclaren are locked for the next years

I think Russell is excellent and that anyone who questions that forgets that his teammate is the G.O.A.T. I would argue Russell is the only one other than Alonso who could keep Hamilton on his toes. Russell is better than Button.

I think Russell is excellent and that anyone who questions that forgets that his teammate is the G.O.A.T. I would argue Russell is the only one other than Alonso who could keep Hamilton on his toes. Russell is better than Button.
the bar has moved slightly in that its Verstappen Russell might be compared against so either George knocks Max down a pedestal which means Jos intervenes or he will be asked to play No 2

the bar has moved slightly in that its Verstappen Russell might be compared against so either George knocks Max down a pedestal which means Jos intervenes or he will be asked to play No 2
Jos has no influence. Horner has shown everyone that. I don’t think Toto would give him any more time.

Jos has no influence. Horner has shown everyone that. I don’t think Toto would give him any more time.
Oh yes he does its the reason Red Bull wont sign Carlos Sainz because the hassles Jos gave at Toro Rosso. Sticking with Perez makes Horner look weak if Red Bull lose constructors and drivers. Horner should be considering Lawson or Tsunoda but wont either to massage Verstappen's ego. Jos is talking to Toto about his son joining you can bet that making him no1 is a big requirement. If Toto is not interested he would have announced the Merc seat now.

Oh yes he does its the reason Red Bull wont sign Carlos Sainz because the hassles Jos gave at Toro Rosso. Sticking with Perez makes Horner look weak if Red Bull lose constructors and drivers. Horner should be considering Lawson or Tsunoda but wont either to massage Verstappen's ego. Jos is talking to Toto about his son joining you can bet that making him no1 is a big requirement. If Toto is not interested he would have announced the Merc seat now.
Okay well in that case Mercedes is not a serious team.

Okay well in that case Mercedes is not a serious team.

That depends if Toto sees Antonelli and Verstappen as his future combination or not. It will be a Mclaren 2007 scenario to manage.

At the moment Toto is talking up Antonelli and about pursuing Verstappen but not saying enough about Russell.

The crunch moment is when Antonelli becomes a serious front runner consistently and will be a perceived threat to his teammate

another interesting day in the driver market. i wish i could have Riccardo optimistic outlook. as it doesnt look good for him. so for now it's lawson & tsunoda confirmed at AlphaTauri. for me i would drop both perez & if Hadjar wins F2 then Riccardo goes as well. you have to take emotion out of it. i would put tsunoda in the big team to see if sinks or swims. take junior team. back to what it was untested talent

alpine.webp

its finally confirmed

i hope im wrong but think its over ambitious to throw him straight into a front running car. Verstappen, Vettel, Sainz, Alonso & Leclerc all had years to settle in & get used to F1 under the radar & they all had far more experience

hamilton is a comparison but he was 22. Antotelli would be the 3rd youngest driver in F1 history & hadnt been fast tracked, do what would be now F4 F3 & F2.

Can we start 2025 silly season yet ?

the more i think about it the more i think Verstappen will head to aston martin. just because of logistics. heres my logic that may or may not age very badly LOL

- the last time Mercedes changed very on their terms & was 2012. (because they schumacher 2nd retirement decision for him by signing hamilton) they will not drop Russell & certainly wont drop Antotelli after the effort to getting him there. so for me that mercedes locked until 2027 at the earliest

- mclaren are locked for the foreseeable, there are concerns about Red Bull into 2026 with the ford engine & how they will cope post newey

- now Ferrari have Lewis Hamilton i dont see him going anywhere quickly, earliest he would announce any retirement is start of 2027. (id guess at 2028 being his final year) & does Verstappen want to wait til at the earliest 2028 most likely 2029 to leave red bull & drive for ferrari. i doubt it

- which leaves a potential adrian newey led aston martin team with deep pockets. that need a new superstar driver after the retirement of 45yr old fernando alonso as he finishes the 2026 abu dhabi GP, as the oldest driver since graham hill in 1975 to start an F1 race & the oldest driver since Maurice Trintignant in 1964 to score a point

Back
Top Bottom