Grand Prix 2022 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

already at 4th round of the season & back in Europe, if there was ever a positive of the global pandemic, it was the calendar reshuffle with Liberty Media & F1 going to circuits we would never have been to otherwise or was seen to cant afford it Mugello, Turkey, Portimao, Bahrain outer, Nurburgring & this weekends venue Imola, what was only supposed to be 1 off, 2 day weekend what is still the latest race to take place in europe beating jerez by a week. came back onto the calendar for the thrilling wet/dry race in 2021 & then last month it signed a deal to stayed on the calendar until 2025, which any old school circuit with history will have my backing.

but out of the Race track the region that circuit is named after Emilia-Romagna, seems like the hub of Italy. as according to what i was reading it is 1 of the wealthiest & most developed regions in Europe, Bologna, has 1 of Italy's highest quality of life, the home of the oldest university in the world University of Bologna founded in 1088, 8 years before Oxford University. the former Roman Empire capital of Ravenna, 11 UNESCO heritage sites, In 2018, the Lonely Planet guide named Emilia-Romagna as the best place to see in Europe & home of automotive companies such as Lamborghini, Maserati, Pagani, Dallara, Ducati & of course Ferrari

although any chat of imola, it would be remiss of me to not chat about Ratsenberger & senna because tragically they will always be synonymous with this circuit & senna as you run down to turn 2 a weekend that has changed F1 forever, its sad that it took that for F1 to be that safe. or controversy that started between Pironi & Villeneuve, which actually the sprint race will be on the 40th anniversary of that infamous 1982 San Marino GP where the 2 teammates where told to hold station, Multi 2,728 Didier, Multi 2,728 Didier, while in the lead Villenueve made a small error at Piratella. rather than settle in behind Villeneuve, Pironi took the lead ahead of his teammate with 11 laps to go. Gilles thought this was faux war just to give the Tifosi value for money so the overtook each other multiple times, taking what he thought his rightful 1st place on penultimate lap & cruise to victories in successive years having won in 1981. However, on the final lap relationship would be broken irreparably, as Pironi got a run & passed him into Tosa. crossing the line just inches in front of Villeneuve. who was left furious and felt betrayed, vowing 2 things "this is war" & "I'll never speak to Pironi again in my life." sadly he wouldnt realised how true them the latter would be, as reportedly still driving angry 2 weeks later would tragically have a fatal accident on his final run at zolder after being determined to beat pironi & then 3 months later Pironi would have a fatal accident.

but back to present day our 1st sprint race of the season which could be a 1st as well because it looking quite wet on the friday but dry for saturday & sunday which will be fasinating with parc ferme closing after FP1 so set up could be very interesting, having a wet qualifying & dry sprint race. yes the sprint races are not what we expected but they did lead to 3 of the most dramatic races of the season. also sprint race was built for 2022 not 2021. & what im looking forward to is seeing Leclerc & sainz at Ferrari because not since schumacher era have Ferrari lead both championships having the best car coming into italy especially the real home of Ferrari

temp 1.jpg

temp 2.jpg

temp 3.gif

Last edited:
I am intrigued if Ferrari start the front row what are the team orders and whether we will see it is a Villeneuve vs Pironi 2 double cross coming

Incidentally the race happened 25 April 1982 so 40 years to the day it happened essentially . That in itself might spook Ferrari if someone asks about it

Remember when they used to pretend there weren't two races in one country, like having a "European" Grand Prix, or a "Pacific" Grand Prix. The current ring masters can't even be bothered to pretend that countries have two races anymore, as long as they pony up the dough.

Remember when they used to pretend there weren't two races in one country, like having a "European" Grand Prix, or a "Pacific" Grand Prix. The current ring masters can't even be bothered to pretend that countries have two races anymore, as long as they pony up the dough.
Not as bad as MotoGp which was 4 races in Spain named as

Spanish GP
Catunyan GP
Aragon GP - I think
Community of Madrid GP rubbish

... sadly he wouldnt realised how true them the latter would be, as reportedly still driving angry 2 weeks later would tragically have a fatal accident on his final run at zolder after being determined to beat pironi & then 3 months later Pironi would have a fatal accident.
Of course, Pironi's horrific accident at Hockenheim wasn't fatal - he died in a powerboat racing accident five years later.

Not as bad as MotoGp which was 4 races in Spain named as

Spanish GP
Catunyan GP
Aragon GP - I think
Community of Madrid GP rubbish
Not comparable - there’s a huge proportion of Spanish bike riders compared to F1 drivers. There have been weekends where all 9 podium places in MotoGP, Moto2 and Moto3 have been Spanish. The fan base dictates more races in Spain than elsewhere.

We do, of course, have the faux excitement of Sprint "qualifying" at this race with points now being awarded from 1st (8 points), to 8th (1 point). However, at races which do not have sprint "qualifying", no points will be awarded for qualifying in any position.

I have no idea either.

Not comparable - there’s a huge proportion of Spanish bike riders compared to F1 drivers. There have been weekends where all 9 podium places in MotoGP, Moto2 and Moto3 have been Spanish. The fan base dictates more races in Spain than elsewhere.
Then they might as well call it the Spanish Championship not World Championship then?

F1 use to do 3 races in the US despite a lack of US drivers

we are going to see what these cars are like in rain. hopefully better than in 1982. as reading about Didier peroni accident this concerned me

In the rain, one of the many problems caused by "ground effect" F1 cars was that the spray was forced out from under the side pods as a fine mist and virtually created a fog. To those behind, this made cars in front close to invisible. When Pironi tried passing Derek Daly's Williams, the Ferrari 126C2 smashed into the back of Alain Prost's invisible Renault

Back
Top Bottom