Grand Prix 2021 Qatar Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

As F1 continues its carbon emission busting trip around the globe and the season enters its final 3 races, logic suggests that with a 14-point lead, Max Verstappen remains the favourite to take the title from his arch rival Lewis Hamilton however, after Hamilton’s superb drive in Brazil an 8th title for Lewis remains very much a possibility.

In a season disrupted by the ongoing global pandemic Liberty Media promised us 22 races and if that means hosting races in whichever country has a track and stumps up the cash then by God, they’ll deliver on that promise.

This weekend the F1 glitterati find themselves flying halfway around the world (11,865km to be exact) from Brazil to the middle eastern country of Qatar. Already building up to host the 2022 FIFA world cup this event marks another coup for the Gulf state.

I promised myself when I was typing this write up that I would be fair and balanced so I will definitely not mention the human rights issues going on in that region.

I will not for example mention the 6500 migrant workers who have died in Qatar in the last ten years constructing the FIFA world cup facilities.

I also will not cover the fact that the massive building program of new tourist and stadium facilities taking place in Qatar is mainly being undertaken by a workforce of 1.7 million migrant workers. These workers are treated like modern slaves. They have their passports seized on arrival, live in squalid work camps and in some cases are abused, have their wages withheld and are forced to work long and punishing hours. These workers are paid on average $220 US dollars a month

Then of course we won’t discuss the experience faced by the LGBT community which could face punishments of up to 3 years in prison for any expression of affection. Worse still, under Sharia law they could face a death sentence.

Of course, we won’t talk about woman’s rights which are extremely poor. Women face no legal protection from domestic violence or rape in marriage. Women must obtain permission to marry from a male guardian and face all sorts of legal hurdles in relation to divorce, childcare, employment and other rights.

As I said, to be fair and balanced we don’t need to discuss any of these issues and I’m certain that the rights abuses in Qatar will be rightly and vocally condemned by the teams and drivers throughout the weekend. Especially as the F1’s #weraceasone programme promises to create positive and lasting change in local communities.

All that remains to be said is I hope everyone enjoys the race and it turns about to be a thriller.

I wonder how many people died for these two events to go ahead in that country.
2AEFA6E1-A553-4686-B951-EDC398AC5D57.jpeg

Horner wants to make it absolutely clear that he values all marshalls (except the rogue one), his comments were about the situation not a specific person (despite definitely being about a specific person) and he’s sorry if anybody took offence to his (offensive) comments.

Karen has been issued a warning. Fair enough.
A gagging order or slap on the face might be more appropriate for him

I wonder how many people died for these two events to go ahead in that country.
View attachment 15034
It's estimated that about 6500 workers have been killed in the last 10 years building the FIFA World Cup facilities, Stadiums etc. That works out at about 12 a week. The majority of the cases are believed to be heat exhaustion. They're pretty much worked to death.

But I forget all that when I see the happy smiling face of David Beckham because he's an ambassador for the World Cup and a very lovely person.....

:givemestrength:

Fair shout to Lewis for the Pride colour scheme on his crash hat. At least he wasn't silent on an issue.

It's estimated that about 6500 workers have been killed in the last 10 years building the FIFA World Cup facilities, Stadiums etc. That works out at about 12 a week. The majority of the cases are believed to be heat exhaustion. They're pretty much worked to death.

But I forget all that when I see the happy smiling face of David Beckham because he's an ambassador for the World Cup and a very lovely person.....

:givemestrength:

Fair shout to Lewis for the Pride colour scheme on his crash hat. At least he wasn't silent on an issue.

Doubt they’ll be a memorial built for them.

Doubt they’ll be a memorial built for them.
I know it won't change a great deal but I know the general talk from a lot of England fans around football forums is to boycott Qatar.

I don't know if it will take hold enough to make a difference but it's certainly being discussed.

I know it won't change a great deal but I know the general talk from a lot of England fans around football forums is to boycott Qatar.
i heard that England/home nations should boycott. ive heard that ITV & BBC also shouldnt broadcast it. but would be to massively overestimate FIFA morality & or the fans. because its the world cup because if England dont go i dont see anyone else following us, so it will happen with or without us & fans are going to find a way to watch it regardless.

to think boycott would change a thing other than make it less enjoyable. without home interest is extremely unrealistic. it would take nations like Brazil, Argentina, Portugal, Spain, France, Germany, Italy et cetra joined the boycott yes we might get some where

I recall, some while back, that posters were directed to use drivers’ names, rather than nicknames or slurs.
If “Karen” is permitted, am I permitted to start calling him “Verstappen” again.
I ask cider_and_toast in their position as forum moderator.

Edit: I see my pseudonym for him is autocorrected. Will “Karen” be autocorrected in future?

Last edited:
never got around to this, i was impressed from verstappen that start was vital as to be 4th straightaway took away the pressure as he wasnt going into saudi with a defiect & that probably took the pressure away to within 5 laps. to overcome the penalty. get the 2nd he needed. bottas had yet another poor start he does seems to get bullied at the start. but then his weakness has always been wheel to wheel racing & but then after he got the hurry up from toto it was good eventual recovery & really shouldve got 4th but Mercedes & few other teams got greedy.

you know my thoughts about pirelli they are no angels, & ive said many times how i think even now theyve been terrible in comparison to bridgestone. with tyres that overheat struggle to follow, narrow working windows, Wet tyres that still aquaplanes in not even heavy rain. id probally still take set bridgestones if they were available now. but for once i will come to their defence as the teams were told avoid the secondary kerbs & dont 1 stop. so when drivers took the liberties went on the green & white kerbs also tried to 1 stop. so they shouldnt be surprised when the tyres went bang

finally what has happened to the midfield as for most of the season theyve been very close with Ferraris on pole in monaco & Baku shouldve won in Britain , McLaren won in italy & shouldve in Russia. alfa tauri with gasly very impressive running them very close all season. & now it feels like in this triple header it feels there is a definite gulf between Mercedes/Red Bull & the rest. 9 tenths in qualifying & finished a minute clear. thats without talking about the Hamilton & verstappen whove certainly brought their A Game to championship rounds to coin a boxing phrase

Most of the midfield teams have given up on significantly developing the car months ago.

Red Bull and Merc still have something to race for.

Just look at Williams, once they'd guaranteed themselves a decent pay out they've pretty much stopped working and their results have tanked.
thats probably it & in that phony war where Red Bull & Mercedes are adamant (to each other) they havent brought any upgrades car since hungary & they 100% focused on 2022. but it funny how cars getting quick & quick. further & further from the midfield

Back
Top Bottom