Grand Prix 2021 Qatar Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

As F1 continues its carbon emission busting trip around the globe and the season enters its final 3 races, logic suggests that with a 14-point lead, Max Verstappen remains the favourite to take the title from his arch rival Lewis Hamilton however, after Hamilton’s superb drive in Brazil an 8th title for Lewis remains very much a possibility.

In a season disrupted by the ongoing global pandemic Liberty Media promised us 22 races and if that means hosting races in whichever country has a track and stumps up the cash then by God, they’ll deliver on that promise.

This weekend the F1 glitterati find themselves flying halfway around the world (11,865km to be exact) from Brazil to the middle eastern country of Qatar. Already building up to host the 2022 FIFA world cup this event marks another coup for the Gulf state.

I promised myself when I was typing this write up that I would be fair and balanced so I will definitely not mention the human rights issues going on in that region.

I will not for example mention the 6500 migrant workers who have died in Qatar in the last ten years constructing the FIFA world cup facilities.

I also will not cover the fact that the massive building program of new tourist and stadium facilities taking place in Qatar is mainly being undertaken by a workforce of 1.7 million migrant workers. These workers are treated like modern slaves. They have their passports seized on arrival, live in squalid work camps and in some cases are abused, have their wages withheld and are forced to work long and punishing hours. These workers are paid on average $220 US dollars a month

Then of course we won’t discuss the experience faced by the LGBT community which could face punishments of up to 3 years in prison for any expression of affection. Worse still, under Sharia law they could face a death sentence.

Of course, we won’t talk about woman’s rights which are extremely poor. Women face no legal protection from domestic violence or rape in marriage. Women must obtain permission to marry from a male guardian and face all sorts of legal hurdles in relation to divorce, childcare, employment and other rights.

As I said, to be fair and balanced we don’t need to discuss any of these issues and I’m certain that the rights abuses in Qatar will be rightly and vocally condemned by the teams and drivers throughout the weekend. Especially as the F1’s #weraceasone programme promises to create positive and lasting change in local communities.

All that remains to be said is I hope everyone enjoys the race and it turns about to be a thriller.

think the question is why we would apply them like this, as it inevitably means that drivers don’t get the full penalty.
By applying them in the order they were committed it makes it much fairer.

Let's say, again using my example that Verstappen committed a penalty first, his 5 place drop was for failing to lift off for double yellows and this enabled him to set the lap that qualified 2nd.

Bottas then is penalised for ignoring a yellow after qualifying third.

In my example, if Verstappen hadn't committed his offence he may have qualified in third after that run with Bottas second. Bottas may then have approached his final run differently and not missed the yellow.

You have to carry out the penalties in the order they were committed.

Wow Horner is actually claiming a rogue marshall stuck a flag out and the FIA need to have better control of the marshalls.
This is not a joke.

this is very delayed because of work & sky sports changing the schedule yesterday i checked friday, qatar highlights 6.45pm switched on at work it moved to 6pm & Q1 had already happened :facepalm:

i quite enjoyed the losail circuit it really reminds me of montreal fast & flowing but technical. also the 2nd set of kerbs will punish you if you take too many liberties. like brazil i think that people will only appriecate what we are watching with lewis hamilton until he retires. with some of his great qualifying laps & drives. outstanding from gasly 4th on the track was very impressive of course he did because i backed him in brazil rubbish & dont back him in qatar on the front row :rolleyes:

im not surprised at all the penalties it looked a slam dunk & they are very hard on these, at least on this unlike wheel to wheel racing they are consistent, but surprised it went on this long because i thought there was a new rule in mexico where if double yellow flags are shown while your in that sector or lap are deleted like track limits but i can see horner annoyance if all the FIA electrical bits like map, wheel & GPS bit said green flag & a marshal used his initiative right or wrongly put double yellow flags out. but common sense says if you see a stationary car on the pit straight which he will have seen, you slow down because that happens in the race. its a VSC or SC

FEtP4hrXwAA6AJs

Wow Horner is actually claiming a rogue marshall stuck a flag out and the FIA need to have better control of the marshalls.
This is not a joke.
Bloody Karen is the most insufferable of winners and the sorest of sore losers.

My dislike for the man is intense, so much so that my stomach turns every time Sky say "Let's go down to Red Bull on the pit wall...."

No, let's ****ing not!!

Horner wants to make it absolutely clear that he values all marshalls (except the rogue one), his comments were about the situation not a specific person (despite definitely being about a specific person) and he’s sorry if anybody took offence to his (offensive) comments.

Karen has been issued a warning. Fair enough.

Back
Top Bottom