Grand Prix 2021 Qatar Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

As F1 continues its carbon emission busting trip around the globe and the season enters its final 3 races, logic suggests that with a 14-point lead, Max Verstappen remains the favourite to take the title from his arch rival Lewis Hamilton however, after Hamilton’s superb drive in Brazil an 8th title for Lewis remains very much a possibility.

In a season disrupted by the ongoing global pandemic Liberty Media promised us 22 races and if that means hosting races in whichever country has a track and stumps up the cash then by God, they’ll deliver on that promise.

This weekend the F1 glitterati find themselves flying halfway around the world (11,865km to be exact) from Brazil to the middle eastern country of Qatar. Already building up to host the 2022 FIFA world cup this event marks another coup for the Gulf state.

I promised myself when I was typing this write up that I would be fair and balanced so I will definitely not mention the human rights issues going on in that region.

I will not for example mention the 6500 migrant workers who have died in Qatar in the last ten years constructing the FIFA world cup facilities.

I also will not cover the fact that the massive building program of new tourist and stadium facilities taking place in Qatar is mainly being undertaken by a workforce of 1.7 million migrant workers. These workers are treated like modern slaves. They have their passports seized on arrival, live in squalid work camps and in some cases are abused, have their wages withheld and are forced to work long and punishing hours. These workers are paid on average $220 US dollars a month

Then of course we won’t discuss the experience faced by the LGBT community which could face punishments of up to 3 years in prison for any expression of affection. Worse still, under Sharia law they could face a death sentence.

Of course, we won’t talk about woman’s rights which are extremely poor. Women face no legal protection from domestic violence or rape in marriage. Women must obtain permission to marry from a male guardian and face all sorts of legal hurdles in relation to divorce, childcare, employment and other rights.

As I said, to be fair and balanced we don’t need to discuss any of these issues and I’m certain that the rights abuses in Qatar will be rightly and vocally condemned by the teams and drivers throughout the weekend. Especially as the F1’s #weraceasone programme promises to create positive and lasting change in local communities.

All that remains to be said is I hope everyone enjoys the race and it turns about to be a thriller.

Not sure if I’m imagining it, but Mercedes seem to be running more rake on their car.
D3B52271-1256-48EB-81B0-2651ECF6D84A.jpeg

Where is the speed from Gasly coming from?

I think if Merc can get good exit out of the final corner they will make mincemeat of Red Bull

My suspicion is that both RB and Merc are playing with the CF layup to have a wing that opens/stalls more when the DRS is deployed due to flexing under aerodynamic force.

Just Merc have got theirs working better (mostly) than RB's hence the threats of protest.

more issues i feel are brewing. red bull having yet more issues with their rear wings & if toto wolff wasn't happy about them changing it under parc ferme in interlagos. 4 races in a row will certainly be annoying him

& the disastrous driver briefing last night. hour & 10 minutes, apparently most of it was taken up by the is what verstappen do now legal according to 5 live F1. apparently response they got was worse it was neither yes or no. it was maybe we would have to judge it on particular incident. which rightfully the drivers were apparently fuming about. are still none the wiser to the rules of racing. you could have farcical scenario where 2 drivers force someone off in separate incidents & 1 is penalised & 1 isnt no investigation necessary. is it too much to ask for consistency

My oh dear was Gasly... Absolutely trashing the wing, underfloor, and destroying his tyre...

If the rules were written correctly, he'd now be facing a pitlane start due to the repairs that will be necessary. Instead, he's going to start from 4th(?) with an almost completely rebuilt car!

My oh dear was Gasly... Absolutely trashing the wing, underfloor, and destroying his tyre...

If the rules were written correctly, he'd now be facing a pitlane start due to the repairs that will be necessary. Instead, he's going to start from 4th(?) with an almost completely rebuilt car!
I think that’s a good thing that a guy in an inferior car that gave everything to be where he got gets to start there. Gasly was on track to be in the top three for qualifying. If that’s not impressive, I don’t know what is.

Imagine Red Bull asking Gasly can he be no 2 to Verstappen tomorrow so don't overtake him and avoid hitting him as well as holding up the Mercs:thinking:

So how should he react when he has been ignored for promotion? I mean he could get a podium himself?

Back
Top Bottom