Grand Prix 2020 Styrian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Back in the day the German GP used to be followed a week later by the Austrian GP. This was when Hockenheim was a bizarre flat out blast out in to the forest and back again with a mickey mouse stadium section to pull the punters in. Hockenheim was neutered to create more grandstands and make it more TV friendly.

Austria was probably the most majestic circuit on the calendar with long, sweeping curves set in the Styrian hills which were a challenge for cars and driver alike. The Osterreichring, like Hockenheim, was then neutered to make it, supposedly, safer and dump more spectators in and around the circuit. It was renamed the A1 ring from 1993 to 2006, presumably as an homage to the London to Edinburgh trunk road. In 2011 it became the Red Bull Ring after the fizzy drink company rebuilt all the infrastructure whilst keeping the layout the same.

Now, one week on from the Austrian GP we have another race but this time not requiring the teams to drive about 450 miles and set up the whole circus again as we are staying at the Red Bull Ring and a new race has been created, the Styrian Grand Prix. Styria is, of course, the region of Austria where the track is located.

Last Sunday F1 won me back, for a week at least, with an exciting, incident packed race around the "The Ring". I suspect we will not see the same this weekend but I do hope that Verstappen's car will allow him to have a go at the Mercs and Albon won't have his race ruined again. Look for some sort of reaction from Lewis Hamilton after the series of troubles he experienced last Sunday.

A few notes of trivia. Racing drivers Helmut Marko and Jochen Rindt are/were both from the region as are Dietrich Mateschitz (well durr) and Arnold Schwarzenegger. In addition to these luminaries Styria gave us the Eurovision winner in 2014, Conchita Wurz. However, Conchita wasn't the first Eurovision winner from Styria, the lead singer of Teach-In came from here as well, and they won the competition for Holland in 1975.

Final piece of Trivia, two winners of Miss World come from here in 1969 and 1987.

Last edited:
It looks like Renault have taken being beaten by Racing Point badly and unleashed there inner Christian Horner.View attachment 13657
The protest is over the legality of the car which only they, Mclaren and Williams would rightly protest about

The other teams won't because of their association... it would be desperate if Ferrari protests given they have been given parts to Haas and probably Alfa as well .. Red Bull won't protest because they use to supply their chassis to Alpha Tauri and probably share knowledge and data anyway

abit disappointed in Albon today.

Well if we're using the same yardstick we were with Gasly then one more like that and he gets dropped right?

The thing with both Gasly and Albon that no one wants to say is - number 2 driver. I'm not saying they are a number 2 standard but that's how they are viewed. Verstappen gets preference and they both get less attention from the team and less strategy input. You can get round this and be competitive if you as a driver know what you are doing and are comfortable in making your own calls that might contradict the team sometimes, but if you are young an inexperience it can leave you exposed on set up issues etc. Which is exactly what we saw when Gasly was at Red Bull and what we've seen with Albon too.

It's why they have both looked like a different driver when at Torro Alphai thingy. They get team time and advice. Note that most of Albon's good races have come one days Verstappen has retired.

RasputinLives I was thinking if Albon fails would Red Bull consider calling Hulkenberg which was rumoured last season over Kyvat.

The gap to Verstappen needs to close because it did not look good for Albon on Sunday

What you are saying Red Bull really need an experienced No 2 and one who can bring the car home and be fast enough.

Last edited:
Which is the standard for F1 teams for decades. It's why the likes of Berger, Kimi, Barrichello etc had long careers. If you can set a car up and bring it home a respectable distance behind a teams superstar without having to be micro managed then you're golden.

(Which is why despite everyone going on about it, Merc have never been in any hurry to replace Bottas)

Inevitable is a funny one. Mid season driver changes are very rare and, I'm sure someone will check this out, someone (a none pay driver) only getting half a season at a team is practically unheard of. For that someone to be a kid in their second year of F1 going up against a driver who has been touted as the greatest thing since soap was invented seems even harsher. Given that teams have held on to the likes of Webber and Kimi for years who were just as far (if not worse) off their team mates at times makes it harsher.

As much as I like Alex Albon he didn't come in last year and suddenly put that car further up the field that Gasly did but yet his performances were somehow presented in a better light. Meanwhile Gasly went to the junior team and quietly put the results in. I just don't think he was given a fair shake of the stick.

Reminds me of a comic funny I saw in Roy of the Rovers once. Manager puts his arm round a young player and says "Hey kid I'm putting you on as sub. it's your big shot! 3-0 down with 5 mins to go"

mid season transfers are unusual but there is a pattern,. red bull, toro rosso, helmut marko is notorious at not giving there drivers time to settle if your not performing then your go to be in the danger zone, better drivers than gasly have had the same treatment. i think the only 1 of the last 11 years that havent involved red bull was fisichella to ferrari & that was because of massa's injury. Bourdais got dropped. alguersuari was told riccardio has his seat in september. Kyvat 3? times now he been dropped, 2 of them mid season. Sainz left toro rosso mid season to go to renault. & it was inevitable as the pressure was becoming untenable we all remember that season, + the events leading up to it. he . & it was wasnt helped by the fact that gasly got the drive as he was the only left in the pool & not on talent. but you look at the results that season

Australia - qualifies 17th, fighting with sister team, doesnt score any points, nearly lapped by teammate & is the 3rd quickest red bull car out of 4
Bahrain - doesnt make it into Q3, 8 tenths slower than the teammate. 2nd best red bull but by 4 secs & finishes 52secs off verstappen
China, Spain, Monaco Canada (qualifying) - this was his strongest period in the team, consistently qualified top 6 finished top 6 not under threat here. thought he had made the breakthrough.
Canada (race) - bad luck caught behind stroll. but then had bad setback to beaten by 30 secs despite Verstappen who gone out in Q2 Gasly starting 5th
France - qualified 9th, 7 tenths off verstappen & nearly lapped by him. only scored a point because of riccardio 10 second penalty
Austria - qualifed 9th, 8 tenths off verstappen. finished 7th behind lando norris a lap down while teammate wins the race
Britain - back to the form of April, May & 1st week of June. best finish of the season & beats Verstappen for the only time
Germany - qualified 4th looking very good. but then the wheels come off, & running 7th crashes into the back of albon & retires when Verstappen wins, Kyvat 3rd, Albon 6th (but was challenging for the lead). at this point it untenable when not if
Hungary - Verstappen puts it on pole, Gasly 6th a second off his pace. Verstappen is few laps from victory but Gasly finishes 7th & lapped for the 2nd time. 5th time in 12 races he finished over a minute behind

Albon isnt setting the world alight, they made huge mistake not promoting Sainz & if Red Bull in next move want to bring in outside person they could do better. , but the fact is he is doing the bare minimum the team ask that has been the last few years since riccardio was their was 6th place regardless where you start. & now ferrari have cocked up its 4th. the issue with Gasly was he couldnt do it often enough i think in 12 races he only beat all the B race competiors 3 times.

Problem for Red Bull is dropping Albon leaves short of options and having to admit their error of judgement especially if they promote Gasly again. It does look like Kyvat is going to be JEV V2. They dont want to promote him so he is stuck in Alpha Tauri .An outside bet for replacing Albon which I did not think of is Buemi who's proving his abilities in every other category outside F1 if they will not consider Hulkenberg

Last edited:
yeah Buemi will always be 1 of the best drivers that fell through the F1 net. because he was quality but march 2021 he would be 32 older than when Hulkenburg, Rosberg, R Schumacher wouldve been in there final race & would have the 3rd longest gap between F1 races in F1 history only Jan Lammers & Luca Badoer wouldve had longer out.

now it would be hiding to nothing

Back
Top Bottom