2020 Silly Season

Colour me wrong then. I love Ocon so glad to see him back on the grid but I'm surprised Renault went for him when they've had the option multiple times before.

Terrible decision for me, Ocon good & he needs a place on the grid but he is the probally the most under rated driver going, & how this guy hasn't he even been on the podium is beyond me should've been in big team years ago

Grosjean has outstayed his welcome by racing this year

Will the next headline today be Hulkenberg to Haas then and Grosjean out? It wouldn't shock me.
Well, this is the rest of the four-part rumor chain. First two parts are now true. Abiteboul said something about needing to make sure Nico has a ride....so I assume the third part is going to be announced shortly. And the fourth part places Grojean in Formula E. So half-way there.

1. If I was Mercedes I would have taken Ocon over Bottas.

2. Renault is the big winner in all this. Right now, they have the third best pair of drivers on the grid. If they can get their act together, as I gather they are increasing their budget next year, then I would hope to see some competitive performances from them in 2021.

3. If I was Haas, I would replace Magnussen with Hulkenberg and keep Grosjean.

4. Wish Grosjean the best.

As much as I like KMag I have to agree with Ruslan that Grosjean is the better driver. He can get very much in his head sometimes but on his day he was and still is another level to Magnusen. There was about half a season at Lotus where he was the absolute class of the field and was the only one that could even slightly keep pace with Vettel in the Red Bull. I really thought his career was going to go a different way back then.

i agree with that, in 2012 grosjean was fantastic & even that podium he got in spa 2013? when the team was broke was incredible. but its 2019 how long do keep going with a good driver because they were good 6 years ago

N - Driver - Points - Podiums
7 - Perez - 100 - 0
8 - Ocon - 87 - 0

8 - Perez - 62 - 1
12 - Ocon - 49 - 0

And still I wonder why many believe that Ocon is better choice for Mercedes than Bottas?

7 - Perez - 100 - 0
8 - Ocon - 87 - 0

8 - Perez - 62 - 1
12 - Ocon - 49 - 0

And still I wonder why many believe that Ocon is better choice for Mercedes than Bottas?
Four or five reasons:

1. I believe Perez is one of the best drivers in F1 not in a top team.

2. As this was Ocon's first two seasons, it was against a very good experienced driver.

3. He outqualified him and beat him on track in 2018. The stats are:

Perez versus Ocon

...........Qual........On Track.........Points
2017....13-7.......11-6.................100 - 87
2018......5-16......5-9....................62- 49

It was beating Perez in qualifying 16 out of 21 times in 2018 that got my attention, in addition to beating him on the track 9 out of the 14 cases where they both finished.

4. It is clear that Ocon was a developing driver who was getting better as measured against a good experienced driver. He is also young.

5. Bottas appears pretty much the same driver as he has always been. His performance relative to Hamilton is no better this third year they were teammates than it was the first year they were teammates. He is not getting any younger.

Therefore, I think Mercedes should have replaced Bottas with Ocon for 2020.

Four or five reasons:
1. I believe Perez is one of the best drivers in F1 not in a top team.
Perez tried himself in top team and....
9 - Button - 73 - 0
11 - Perez - 49 - 0

2. As this was Ocon's first two seasons, it was against a very good experienced driver.
Not "first".
Ocon started in 2016 season. 10 races.

technically yes but its 10 races in manor racing yourself, like Russell if Williams go into the midfield or he moves into the midfield then he will have prove himself all over again
10 last races of the season as base driver of team is serious arguement
why don't count 2017 as "first"

10 last races of the season as base driver of team is serious arguement
why don't count 2017 as "first"

because at manor there was no pressure, because you know that you'll be trundling around at the back, everything is a bonus. your in a 2 car race of your own as teammate is only competition, there no penalty for mistakes or wrong strategies . its only until you join midfield & you start racing with others that you learn the racecraft & how to jump other competitors

we did it with Alonso at minardi, ricciardo at HRT, Ocon at Manor & will do it if Russell moves from williams

Last edited:
I guess Perez is guaranteed a drive then, not a great drive, but a drive all the same. Not everyone currently on the grid can say that for even 2020 let alone further ahead I'm sure.

Perez tried himself in top team and....
9 - Button - 73 - 0
11 - Perez - 49 - 0

Well, there is a lot more to the story than that. In 2013 Perez beat Button 10 to 9 in the qualifying. In the second half of the season, Perez clearly had the edge. Perez outqualified Button in the last four races of the season and got more points than Button did. So he was clearly performing at the level of a former world champion.

So we are talking about a new driver to the team, who was not getting along with team, beating an established driver and former world champion in qualifying and at towards end of his first full season with the team, beating him in qualify, on track and in points. That does not happen too often.

Anyhow, Perez was released not because of driving ability, but because he was difficult to work with. They replaced him with Magnussen, who was never as good.

Not "first".
Ocon started in 2016 season. 10 races.

"....first full...."

Well, things are getting firmed up:

Mercedes: Hamilton (for life), Bottas (1 year)
Ferrari: Vettel (thru 2020), Leclerc
Red Bull: Verstappen, Albon or Kvyat (I don't rule out that they may promote Kvyat to the seat for 2020)

Renault: Ricciardo, Ocon (a very good driver pairing)
McLaren: Sainz, Norris

Haas: Grosjean or Hulkenberg (I gather we will know shortly), Magnussen
Racing Point: Perez (3 years), Stroll
Alfa: Raikkonen, Giovinazzi?
Toro Rosso: Kvyat (unless promoted, then Albon), Gasley

Williams: Russell, Kubica or Latifi or ?

At this point, I think the only seats in play are Haas #1, Alfa #2, and Williams #2. Red Bull might switch Kvyat and Albon for 2020, depending.

There will be two very interesting in-team duels to watch next season: Vettel-Leclerc and Ricciardo-Ocon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom