Grand Prix 2020 British Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

The Stone.
Old Stoney.
El Silverado.
Names used for Silverstone by the types of people who say "pot-ah-to" rather than "pot-ay-to".

It is the “Home of British Motor Racing”.

1595335290731.png

There's one thing that's a sure bet for the British Grand Prix - the expectation of fans in anticipation of the race will be colossal, what we need is for that anticipation to be met.
But of course, the local roads and villages won’t be jammed with fans; the stands won’t be throbbing with flags, cheers and smells. There’ll be a Formula 1 corona bubble (reminds me of fizzy pop) making the sensation different, a peculiarity, a “one-off” (until the following weekend’s rerun).

I thought I'd take a little look at the long-lasting corners on this circuit, the ones steeped and fermented in the motor racing ecstasy of the dozens of F1 races the former RAF training base has hosted.
1595334616812.png

Today's first bend is Abbey, a right hander which is taken super-fast, entertaining for lap one as the cars get there fairly soon after the lights...those out of usual grid position will need to have sharp senses but for the rest of the race it's a challenge but not manic.

Considering Abbey was foot to the boards the rate at which cars arrive for Woodcote used to be startling - today they'll still be flat out and this is where aero and grip are king, allowing the speed to be carried down to Copse, which used to be turn one but now...

...drivers will be smashing it at top speed, a downshift and downforce pushing the car to scraping point as it turns in - topping 180mph for some. A balancing act though, and the runoff area's going to see some rubber for those who're really up for it.

Then Maggots, which used to also be a fast flash down into Becketts but now begins a swooping descent which shows racing nicely from the right camera angle, but it's processional nowadays rather than an overtaking opportunity, Chapel's not really worth mentioning but what comes next?

Stowe has always been a great turn, the Hanger Straight allowing drivers to give it the beans, and until the radical changes of this century was the fastest turn-in/braking point on the circuit. Overtaking? Well, a big set of conkers and perfect timing might help, especially as the track's wide, early in the race there might be some fun but later on most drivers will be focusing on a good exit to carry to the end of the lap...

...which is preceded by Club (my favourite spot to watch on a general entry ticket), back in "the day" this was yet another full throttle face bender but now it's a narrow tricky one which needs to be done right so as not to compromise the next lap.

So that was a little wander through the longer-serving corners, is the circuit improved? No – it’s different, just like the sport is different.
It's always been a power circuit, and that's something the BRDC were committed to retaining...it will be challenging on engines and tyres, limited testing and racing might cause retirements for mechanical reasons and if the right rubber isn't available well - we can only wait until practice & qually - weather currently looking breezy and cool for August.

So who's going to benefit this weekend? Here's what I think...
Mercedes to continue their domination.
Racing Point to be second runners.
Ferrari to have found a "miraculous" ;) engineering fix to their woes.
The others? No idea.

I haven't been to a race in its present guise, but when I was a frequent visitor in the 90s it was Brooklands/Luffield/Woodcote that gave me the greatest pleasure (with many thanks to Camel owner RJ Reynolds and Williams F1 for the freebies), every race I saw there was great and I always loved the event. I hope this one is something to relish.

Last edited:
It really surprises me that Gutierrez is listed as the reserve driver for Mercedes, Racing Point and McLaren, yet does not have the required activity to compete...

I can't see anyone other than the incredible Hulk (TM) being called up at this late stage...

Can Gutierrez get the required activity by driving in practice sessions? If I were Mercedes, I'd be resting one of their drivers this weekend, and next in FP1, and just making sure he gets the distance in in a couple of FP1 sessions...

Perez was in a tight bubble and only came into contact with 3 other people so they have been isolated

F1 routinely tests every 5 days so it is tight control

FP1 stopped due to debris...

However, it took a driver to radio in before action was taken - everyone could see that giovanazzi's floor had been ripped to pieces by his tyre, yet the stewards initially did SFA!

I thought Alfa was suppose a bunch of Ferrari engineers . Looks like they are the rejects

The car is slower than Russell and the similar powered Haas

Hulkenberg's gap to Stroll will be interesting to watch. Someone else suggested he might replace Stroll and then its Vettel and Hulkenberg which just won't happen

Last edited:
I will add Vettel set no time in the session - more Ferrari woes for him. If Hulkenberg proves he can be as quick if not quicker than Stroll then that just might sway Vettel's decision about the offer on the table and poor Perez has got no chance to defend himself or his credibility because of COVID19

Incidentally he flew back to Mexico on a private plane because his mother was taken to hospital after an accident

It's looking like Sergio Perez flew back to Mexico to visit his mother:

Given that Mexico is one of the countries you are legally required to self isolate for 14 days upon returning to the UK, I can see Perez getting into some trouble for even attempting to race this weekend...

Given that Mexico is one of the countries you are legally required to self isolate for 14 days upon returning to the UK, I can see Perez getting into some trouble for even attempting to race this weekend...

If the Prime Minister's chief advisor could break rules he set about lockdown by driving 250 miles up to Durham and not to be sacked. From a selfish point of view then Perez had done nothing wrong and he travelled on a private plane to minimise exposure and the definition of "Essential travel" could be used to protest his innocence and besides it was his mother who was hospitalised

I will add that Perez missing two races could cost him his seat at Racing Point. Hulkenberg is going to put on a demonstration run for Vettel just how competitive the car is to sway Vettel's decision making

Last edited:

yeah been following practise on the radio today. im fan of their podcast so shouldnt be surprised. but i was surprised at how good 5 live was coverage was. nicholls palmer & gow are very entertaining. they said at 11am that it was because he went to see his mother. now i think that different to bottas & leclerc. put yourself in those shoes, theres a good part of me that wouldve done the same

& how harsh would it have been. if the boss had said you cant visit your mum

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom