Grand Prix 2019 Russian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Onwards to Sochi in one of those frustrating season where we do have three teams in the mix for wins but somehow we have absolutely no title fight kicking off whatsoever. Hamilton has not even had to do his usual post summer blitz to get his massive title lead but has merely gone into Alain Prost mode where he just picks up podiums and consistant results whilst the others go up and down. His nearest rival is his own team mate and he is being anchored down by his own team from challenging Lewis because they are scared of their drivers getting in each others way and giving wins away to Red Bull and Ferrari. So Lewis is laughing and two and half race wins in front in the championship.

So no title fight but we are getting good racing for once. If Ferrari had not messed up so badly with set up and strategy at the begining of the season then it's clear they would have been in contention with Merc, certainly with LeClerc anyways. After Charlie boy was politically swindled out of his third win in a row last time out I'm fully expecting him to drive angry in Russia, which was something he did often in his GP3 and F3 days. It is impressively fast but often ends with a smash. His illustrious team mate has been a shadow of his former self all year but suddenly turned up when he hasn't all year at Singapore. If we ignore the strategy swindle you have to say Vettel had an impressive weekend and drove beautifully. The worrying thing for him was though that even on form he only beat his young team mate via strategy rather than pace. It's possible the win might inspire a revival though. I genuinely hope so as would love to see an on form Vettel mixing it with Hamilton, LeClerc and Verstappen.

Speaking of Max I'm giving his own paragraph to officially doth my cap to him. All year he has been consistently fast, he's had race craft, he's had guile and he has basically looked like the complete racing driver. This is something i've never seen before and often wondered if I would see. Don't get me wrong I always knew he was a fantastic driver on his day but now I see he can do it over a season. Respects to you sir.

Away from the main contenders I'm paying close attention to some of the midfield drivers at the moment as there is a change in the wind. The much maligned Antonio Giovanazzi has found a lot of pace since the summer break. Whilst he has a tendency to get into an accident and not get the results from it the old adage is that it's better to have a fast driver that crashes than a slow driver who plays it safe. Maybe it's time we reassessed him. Similarly we might need to have a look at Piere Gasly too. Before the season started the media decided the story was that Gasly was under pressure and might be dropped. Low and behold it happened! However he is now at Torro Rosso and has had some quality drives (Singapore was probably his best drive in F1) whilst his replacement at Red Bull Albon has not really got much better result than Piere did. Maybe Gasly is going to show he is a capable driver just that most people going head to head with Max Verstappen are going to look ordinary.

So that's the runners and riders but what of Sochi? Well unfortunately it's a pretty dull track with one really good corner. I think last year it may have had no overtakes at all. However it's very harsh to blame the circuit because some of the best GP2 and GP3 races I have ever seen have been held he where the cars were three wide going through turn 3 on nearly every lap. So will the racing improve with the front teams now closer? Maybe. Unfortunately we won't have the Singapore effect where the middle teams are brought close enough to the action to influence it but we may get a few fiesty moves.

Who is going to win? Well I'll let you guys debate that but how about this? Have the rubles been put down by the great Bear hunter? Will we suddenly see the track clear and a certain Dani Kvyat come to the front to complete one of greatest F1 comebacks of all time? I'd love to see that race so let's hope so!

Last edited:
I have found another very interesting article, again it's in Italian but Google Translate will help you. The one I'm referring to is the top one on the page, it's written by Stefano Mancini who write for La Stampa. La Stampa is a newspaper owned by FIAT/FCA/the Agnelli family, it says that Vettel is looking for a new team (possibly RBR) and that for next year Ferrari has already had a chat with Ricciardo and Hulkenberg. I don't think that Ricciardo would be willing to play #2 with Leclerc but I'd love to see him in a top team. Hulbenberg would be much easier for Leclerc (not because he's not talented, only because he hasn't many options)

I am of impression that Vettel is focused usually on the race-setup, and therefore damning his (slow?) qualifications speed is debatable.

I have found another very interesting article, again it's in Italian but Google Translate will help you. The one I'm referring to is the top one on the page, it's written by Stefano Mancini who write for La Stampa. La Stampa is a newspaper owned by FIAT/FCA/the Agnelli family, it says that Vettel is looking for a new team (possibly RBR) and that for next year Ferrari has already had a chat with Ricciardo and Hulkenberg. I don't think that Ricciardo would be willing to play #2 with Leclerc but I'd love to see him in a top team. Hulbenberg would be much easier for Leclerc (not because he's not talented, only because he hasn't many options)
I've read it. It seems very much in contrast to Binotto's prediction just recently that best of Vettel is yet to come. Russian-gate must be the proverbial straw on camel's back, then. It seems Seb either will get a ride elsewhere, or he is heading home, but Maranello era appears over for him. Todt, Jr. will not back off.

Last edited:
Having said that I think that Ferrari have made their choice and it's Leclerc, I don't know if at this stage it's a wise choice (notwithstanding the fact that Leclerc is going to be a star, I think that he's got huge potential).

It is hard to say just how good Leclerc is. This is only his second year in F1. Vettel clearly had the edge on him through Montreal...and then the situation reversed. There appears to have been a drop-off in Vettel's performance.

Races.......Qualifying........Points.............Results
1-7..............6-1....................100-72............1 pole vs 1 pole and 2 FLs
8-16............0-9.....................94-143..........2 FL and a win vs 5 poles and 2 wins

Part of the problem is that we actually do not know just how fast Vettel really is. In 2007 he was outqualified by Liuzzi. He then held the advantage over his teammates for the next six years, but they were Bourdais and Webber. We then had the odd 2014 season where Ricciardo outshowed Vettel just like Leclerc is outshowing Vettel now. And then four years holding the advantage over Raikkonnen (a truly mystifying driver), and now suddenly he is again being buried by another teammate.

It does appear that whenever Vettel encounters a significant teammate he folds. One wonders if that is because of 1) his emotional moods, 2) because of issues with team/car, or 3) because he is not simply as fast as people think.

But, at this point, based upon Vettel's performances, I can't blame Ferrari for favoring Leclerc. Vettel will have to show what he is capable of in the first half of 2020, or otherwise his reputation and career are shot.

I must also say this even though I know that most of you won't agree: to me Vettel doesn't look like the worst offender out there in terms of bad behaviour towards hs team or his team mate, on the contrary I think that he's one of the nicest guys in the paddock and I think that this is a weakness for his

Well, I am not sure who among the current crop of 20 drivers has a worse record of "bad behavior towards his team or his teammate" except maybe for Magnussen.

Last edited:
IMHO the message was loud and clear last Sunday, their #1 driver is Leclerc and Seb is no longer needed, IMHO they accepted losing a race that could be won in order to clarify beyond any reasonable doubt to Vettel that he's no longer welcome there
It certainly looks that way. It did not catch me totally by surprise, but as someone who is in Seb's camp for very long time, it is sad time for me, say at least.

Last edited:
I would say Perez and Ocon have worse record than KMag but it's true Vettel's does not have the best rep when it comes to being a team player or a gentleman.

It is hard to say just how good Leclerc is. This is only his second year in F1. Vettel clearly had the edge on him through Montreal...and then the situation reversed. Suspect that has a lot to do with Vettel's drop-off in performance.

Races.......Qualifying........Points.............Results
1-7..............6-1....................100-72............1 pole vs 1 pole and 2 FLs
8-16............0-9.....................94-143..........2 FL and a win vs 5 poles and 2 wins

Part of the problem is that we actually do not know just how fast Vettel really is. In 2007 he was outqualified by Liuzzi. He then held the advantage over his teammates for the next six years, but they were Bourdais and Webber. We then had the odd 2014 season where Ricciardo outshowed Vettel just like Leclerc is outshowing Vettel now. And then four years holding the advantage over Raikkonnen (a truly mystifying driver), and now suddenly he is again being buried by another teammate.

It does appear that whenever Vettel encounters a significant teammate he folds. One wonders if that is because of 1) his emotional moods, 2) because of issues with team/car, or 3) because he is not simply as fast as people think.

But, at this point, based upon Vettel's performances, I can't blame Ferrari for favoring Leclerc. Vettel will have to show what he is capable off in the first half of 2020, or otherwise his reputation and career are shot.

Well, I am not sure who among the current crop of 20 drivers has a worse record of "bad behavior towards his team or his teammate" except maybe for Magnussen.

I think that both Vettel as well as Leclerc are very fast. Vettel with the right car and the right conditions is very very fast. Leclerc seems more of an allrounder.

Re Vettel's teammates I think that Bourdais as well as Ricciardo are both first class drivers. IMHO Liuzzi was good but needed the right conditions to shine. Webber IMHO is just a very political animal.

Re niceties, I think that Vettel's problem is that he's a bit like Rosberg, fundamentally he's a nice chap who tends to go a bit too far when pushed beyond his comfort zone. I also think that on occasion the stewards took some rather dubious decisions about Vettel, Canada IMHO is quite simply beyond contempt (btw, I was suèpportive of Vettel in MExico when he told Charlie to ..., IMHO he was spot on)

I have seen many insiders add the name of Todt jnr to that list

well they were very deep in convosation post Singapore but this is issue from managerial, binotto need to rule with iron fist so to speak, more like toto wolff because this is probably a reason why Mercedes have the success when they had a numerous issues between lewis & nico, that he put his foot out in spain & in beligum I sure the rumours was if that it happened again 1 or both would be benched they knew who was best. something neither Horner & Binotto seem to do

If Vettel stays with Maranello (which I don't believe he will), I will need to learn Italian, just to enable me to read sport pages, despite setting that struggle aside for couple of years. Before I forget, young Schumacher should forget about Ferrari as well. This is not anymore place of work where his father flourished years ago. Leclerc seems to be settling there for long run.

Last edited:
If Vettel stays with Maranello (which I don't believe he will), I will need to learn Italian, just to enable me to read sport pages

I have found another interesting article by Alberto Antonini (former Ferrari PR), it will help improve your Italian ;)

Apparently the relationship between Vettel and Ferrari hasn'0t been as smooth as we though during the last year. Antonini says that Vettel asks regularly the GPS data from all cars after each session and Ferrari didn't provide him with data for each and any session, whereas when Leclerc asked for details about Ferrari's energy recovery system they were very happy to oblige. I rest my case: a manager dealing with the team is very helpful, if the driver deals directly with the team for matters that have nothing to do with the car there is the risk that the relationship might suffer, and it seems that this is what happened between Vettel and Ferrari. Vettel looks like a smart guy, he should have learned by now.

I have found another interesting article by Alberto Antonini (former Ferrari PR), it will help improve your Italian ;)

Apparently the relationship between Vettel and Ferrari hasn'0t been as smooth as we though during the last year. Antonini says that Vettel asks regularly the GPS data from all cars after each session and Ferrari didn't provide him with data for each and any session, whereas when Leclerc asked for details about Ferrari's energy recovery system they were very happy to oblige. I rest my case: a manager dealing with the team is very helpful, if the driver deals directly with the team for matters that have nothing to do with the car there is the risk that the relationship might suffer, and it seems that this is what happened between Vettel and Ferrari. Vettel looks like a smart guy, he should have learned by now.
Thank you Publius. To be frank, I thought for a while that Antonini is a (minor) jerk, but now I am having change of mind. He seems actually a decent chap, once you read more about his work. The article you so kindly linked in here is containing new information I knew nothing about, and only solidifies my opinion that Italy has some capable people, ready to dig deep for causes behind events that make little sense. Engineers I knew a decade ago were pretty good in their jobs. Back to the article - I am confused regarding Seb's future, however my gut feeling that Vettel might be done there is intensifying. I am not sure whether his personal friendship with Torger would lead to anything... (in Switzerland they visit each other in home settings.)

Last edited:
I think we have finally entered a parallel universe where contributors on here are seriously suggesting that Ferrari blew up part of the engine of one of their drivers "to teach him a lesson". I give up, that is a truly pathetic suggestion.
In the same vein, elsewhere, I saw a suggestion that Ferrari had engineered Vettel's longer pit stop (3.0 vs 2.5) so that Leclerc could go ahead. LOL

Thats always one of my favourite conspiracy theory. I always say to people saying it to time themselves balling up 6 pairs of socks ten times and on the 11th time try to do it deliberately a second slower and see how impossible it is.

In the same vein, elsewhere, I saw a suggestion that Ferrari had engineered Vettel's longer pit stop (3.0 vs 2.5) so that Leclerc could go ahead. LOL
I would actually like to hear from Binotto why is Vettel having slower pitstops than his teammate? Switch names, Hamilton instead Vettel, and we would have post-race several news conferences about it, ending up with Binotto on his knees pleading for mercy and promising never again...

Wow Russia gate or Sochi gate or Tow -gate whatever you want it call it still rumbles 3 days on

Vettel knew full well what he was doing in playing mind games. I think being told 3 times makes the message loud and clear to everyone to the point they had to change strategy so Leclerc jumped him on the pitstop

Ferrari deny this and said Leclerc had bad tyre wear - he was in the turbulence of Vettel's car which would have contributed to it clearly

Even then Vettel would have been on fresher tyres to get back at Leclerc.

The engine cut out - Ferrari supposedly told Vettel to stop for safety reasons when the pitlane was the next corner

Leclerc had to back track on his comments when he did not mention he trusts Vettel but trusts the team post race and the media were scrutinising those words to show that Ferrari are still united

------------

Binotto has been made to look incompetent which could cost him his job

Vettel did a Pironi - deliberately trying to mess with Leclerc's head
------

Not seen any Italian press because it would be interesting to see who they point the finger at. Binotto whilst trying to keep a Team Ferrari image let it slip that they did ask Vettel to move over

I wonder how he is going to explain to his bosses what happened and whether he should take the flak or it

I think that both Vettel as well as Leclerc are very fast. Vettel with the right car and the right conditions is very very fast. Leclerc seems more of an allrounder.

Well, I also think with the right car, right conditions...and might I add, right environment, Vettel is very, very fast. But, he is moody. We have seen these drop offs in the performances more than once before. But, I now do wonder if he has ever really had the speed that Hamilton or Alonso had.

Re Vettel's teammates I think that Bourdais as well as Ricciardo are both first class drivers. IMHO Liuzzi was good but needed the right conditions to shine. Webber IMHO is just a very political animal.

Bourdais was really dominating in the U.S. but didn't look very fast in F1. He has not dominated since he came back. Makes you wonder. Webber had his moments. I did shoot a comparison between him and Vettel for their five seasons and Raikkonen and Vettel for their four seasons. The results are:

.........................Vettel vs Webber...............Vettel vs Raikkonen
Qualifying..........71-23...................................57-24
On Track.............56-15...................................41-16
Points................1410-947.5..........................1127-792
Wins....................38-9......................................13-1
Poles...................44-13.....................................10-2
Fastest Laps......21-18.....................................12-6

Last edited:
Don't you love it when someone pulls all the threads together.

71248768_2631350543588556_5103152683657723904_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom