Grand Prix 2019 Bahrain Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

On the surface a triangle is a simple 3-sided shape. At some point in our education we learn that all of a triangles interior angles add up to 180’. Then the mathematics gets a little more complicated as various theories and concepts are added in to the mix. Most of us give up at that point as the reason or purpose for all this understanding is lost on us.

Some of us carry on in education and take up careers in engineering where, among many of its individual disciplines, the triangle takes on a new importance. From mechanical to structural and even electronic engineering, the maths and science surrounding this simple three shaped side, is used to develop everything from buildings to cars and complex electronic circuits.

In vehicle engineering the triangle plays an important role in the early formula one cars as the prime shape of its space frame. The frame is made up of sections of tubular structures formed from triangles. These tetrahedral truss’s form some of the strongest man-made structures since the shape is rigid and light weight relative to the materials used in its construction.

The first true space frame chassis appeared in the 1930’s and, like many other aspects of vehicle design, mirrored ongoing work in the aerospace industry. After the second world war, sports car makers such as Maserati, Porsche and Jaguar launched vehicles with space frame technology. Small British sports outfits such as TVR and Lotus followed the trend and soon, space frame technology found its way into motor racing.

While the monocoque replaced the space frame by the end of the 60’s, triangle shapes still play a key role in F1 cars, with body panels and suspension components still carrying this distinctive shape right up to the present day.

That triangular journey to the present day, didn’t start in the 1930’s. The history of the triangle dates back thousands of years. Its history spans cultures, people and the globe on a journey of scientific development the is far greater than its humble shape would have you believe. We tend not to dwell too much on the origins of things that we see every day. You don’t imagine that triangles and the science around them would have a beginning.

The most basic principles of a triangle are wrapped up in Pythagorean Theorem. Named in honour of the great Greek mathematician Pythagoras. In simple terms it’s written as a2+b2=c2 or, the square of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

Of course, triangular structures long predate Pythagoras. As an example what is the primary shape of the Pyramids of Giza? There is a great deal of evidence that the understanding of Pythagorean theory existed long before the man himself, even if it wasn't as well recorded.

This is where the culture of maths enters the story. The principle use of maths in the earliest periods of its development was for the study of astronomy. One of the cultures at the forefront of this research was the Islamic faith. Far from being the stereotypical people that we read about today in various right-wing papers and see misrepresented on our TV screens in one way or another, while many people in Britain were daubing their faces with plant dyes and charging at other people with pointy sticks, Islamic scholars had created the foundations for the scientific principles that frustrate and confuse school children across the globe today.

The word Trigonometry derives from the Greek words Triangle and Measure. Without the mathematical functions that this science gives us engineers in the pitlane would not be able to calculate huge amounts of data related to the speed and performance of a range of systems on their cars.

Sumerian astronomers studied the ratios between angles and circles and later, Babylonians discovered links between these ratios and types of triangle. The Greco Egyptian astronomer Ptolemy created the first trigonometric tables known as a table of chords. These tables were used across the growing world for the next 1200 years until more accurate tables could be produced. By the 10th century Islamic scientists were using all 6 trigonometric functions and were applying them to all sorts of geometric problems. The Persian mathematician Nasir al-Din al-Tusi has been described as the creator of Trigonometry as its own mathematical discipline and the first person to move trig fully away from astronomy and to create the mathematical uses that we still apply to problems in the present day.

So, when you watch the Bahrain GP, keep in mind that our scientific understanding of the world and the science that we see applied in almost every aspect of the GP we are watching, from the cars to the construction methods used in the steel stands that the race goers are sat on, owe a huge debt to the work of Islamic scholars who applied themselves to the puzzles of the world, thousands of years before.

Enjoy the GP.

Sorry for the delay in posting the PQR thread, I've had a long long week at work and have finally managed to catch up on everything.

Hope you enjoy the thread and the GP.

Here's another Racing to Repression in Bahrain

I took a deep interest in the Bahrain F1 political situation a few years ago, things haven't changed. There's still effectively a western media blackout as we'd rather have their gun money and safe harbour of the US 5th fleet in Bahraini waters than report on human rights, so Bahrain authorities continue to oppress the Shia majority in numerous ways, including weaponising tear gas by using canisters as missiles (injuries and deaths don't get recorded as military oppression if it's a result of crowd dispersal activity). They had more tear gas canisters than people in the country at the last count. We should all take an interest, as F1 and politics do indeed mix on this occasion, very much so.

It is however more complicated, as the Shia resistance is radical and argues not only for better equality but also for Sharia law, which many Sunni and Shia moderates are against. I have heard that from a Bahraini moderate's point of view, the current status quo in the country represents the lesser of two evils. Still does not excuse human rights abuses and we should know how many people in F1 are complicit with helping to hide them. For example Jackie Stewart's son's PR company was once employed by the ruling elite, to produce videos amongst other things showing off Bahrain as a wonderful place to invest.

Triangulum_constellation_map.svg.png
The Triangulum. Brilliant post cider_and_toast

vintly gethinceri thank you for the links to the articles. It saddens me to say that, as much as I like him, Martin Brundle has close business and personal relations with the Bahraini Royals. Also let's not forget McLaren are practically owned by them.

Hard to think about racing with all that going off. Still we'll be ok next time out because we're off to China which has never had any human rights issues......oh bugger.

On the surface a triangle is a simple 3-sided shape. At some point in our education we learn that all of a triangles interior angles add up to 180’. Then the mathematics gets a little more complicated as various theories and concepts are added in to the mix. Most of us give up at that point as the reason or purpose for all this understanding is lost on us.

Some of us carry on in education and take up careers in engineering where, among many of its individual disciplines, the triangle takes on a new importance. From mechanical to structural and even electronic engineering, the maths and science surrounding this simple three shaped side, is used to develop everything from buildings to cars and complex electronic circuits.

In vehicle engineering the triangle plays an important role in the early formula one cars as the prime shape of its space frame. The frame is made up of sections of tubular structures formed from triangles. These tetrahedral truss’s form some of the strongest man-made structures since the shape is rigid and light weight relative to the materials used in its construction.

The first true space frame chassis appeared in the 1930’s and, like many other aspects of vehicle design, mirrored ongoing work in the aerospace industry. After the second world war, sports car makers such as Maserati, Porsche and Jaguar launched vehicles with space frame technology. Small British sports outfits such as TVR and Lotus followed the trend and soon, space frame technology found its way into motor racing.

While the monocoque replaced the space frame by the end of the 60’s, triangle shapes still play a key role in F1 cars, with body panels and suspension components still carrying this distinctive shape right up to the present day.

That triangular journey to the present day, didn’t start in the 1930’s. The history of the triangle dates back thousands of years. Its history spans cultures, people and the globe on a journey of scientific development the is far greater than its humble shape would have you believe. We tend not to dwell too much on the origins of things that we see every day. You don’t imagine that triangles and the science around them would have a beginning.

The most basic principles of a triangle are wrapped up in Pythagorean Theorem. Named in honour of the great Greek mathematician Pythagoras. In simple terms it’s written as a2+b2=c2 or, the square of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

Of course, triangular structures long predate Pythagoras. As an example what is the primary shape of the Pyramids of Giza? There is a great deal of evidence that the understanding of Pythagorean theory existed long before the man himself, even if it wasn't as well recorded.

This is where the culture of maths enters the story. The principle use of maths in the earliest periods of its development was for the study of astronomy. One of the cultures at the forefront of this research was the Islamic faith. Far from being the stereotypical people that we read about today in various right-wing papers and see misrepresented on our TV screens in one way or another, while many people in Britain were daubing their faces with plant dyes and charging at other people with pointy sticks, Islamic scholars had created the foundations for the scientific principles that frustrate and confuse school children across the globe today.

The word Trigonometry derives from the Greek words Triangle and Measure. Without the mathematical functions that this science gives us engineers in the pitlane would not be able to calculate huge amounts of data related to the speed and performance of a range of systems on their cars.

Sumerian astronomers studied the ratios between angles and circles and later, Babylonians discovered links between these ratios and types of triangle. The Greco Egyptian astronomer Ptolemy created the first trigonometric tables known as a table of chords. These tables were used across the growing world for the next 1200 years until more accurate tables could be produced. By the 10th century Islamic scientists were using all 6 trigonometric functions and were applying them to all sorts of geometric problems. The Persian mathematician Nasir al-Din al-Tusi has been described as the creator of Trigonometry as its own mathematical discipline and the first person to move trig fully away from astronomy and to create the mathematical uses that we still apply to problems in the present day.

So, when you watch the Bahrain GP, keep in mind that our scientific understanding of the world and the science that we see applied in almost every aspect of the GP we are watching, from the cars to the construction methods used in the steel stands that the race goers are sat on, owe a huge debt to the work of Islamic scholars who applied themselves to the puzzles of the world, thousands of years before.

Enjoy the GP.
YOH cider_and_toast
Very impressive post, thought-provoking, factual with really great perspective....the way I like it.
It was a pleasure to read!

Edit: Something I can read over and over

Last edited:
Bizarre isn't it.

Singapore is a 4 and Mexico is a 3. I know which country I would feel safer and more free in. I've spent a lot of time in Singapore and its a great country. I suppose not living their full time makes a difference.

I think that list will spark a good amount of disagreement.

Obviously, the list that dear old Bernie used was the Ecclestone Ability to Fund a Grand Prix List.

Bahrain is tricky one for me because the track is fantastic always produces 1 of the great races of the season. who can forget 2014 what a ending to grand prix. 1 of rare times this decade that F1 has you on edge of your seat.

but politically & morally it where its gets conflicted because during/after the civil war we shouldve have returned until it was safe & it another reason why i cant like Jean Todt, after the Jules bianchi thread youll see not my favourite guy. in 2011 when the race shouldve been cancelled amongst the civil war & protests. like they had in 2010. but Jean Todt said its completely safe in & ignored the worries of the teams so much Force India left in daylight 1 year & refused to participate in FP2. but then, in my opinion, like the coward he was, told everyone its safe but made excuses not to come to the grand prixs in 2011 2012 & 2013. at Bernie for all his faults had the balls to say this is perfectly safe & turn up. prove he can talk the talk & walk the walk
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

edit - just thought cider_and_toast i t
hope call the current fia president a coward isnt libellous but its not like im lying. it did all happen but if you need edit for legal thats fine

Last edited:
Now I'm sure I bring this up every year but the 2010 Bahrain Grand Prix is probably the worst Grand Prix of all time.

yeah there was a terrible one. was that 2010. probally explains why i thought it didnt happen which yr did it get cancelled then. but bar 2013 i think since 2012 they been quite decent

I must confess I am not up to speed on libel laws but I believe you can not be called libelous if you express a personal opinion therefore I have edited your post accordingly F1Brits_90

Back
Top Bottom