Technical 2018 Pirelli Tyres

F1Brits_90

World Champion
FB_IMG_1511449550002.jpg

Pirelli introduces two new F1 tyre compounds for 2018

Pirelli will expand its dry weather F1 tyre range to 7 compounds for 2018 with the introduction of the superhard & the hypersoft.

Pirelli says the compounds in the 2018 "rainbow" range with be "considerably softer" compared to 2017. Hypersoft is obviously a compound that we developed for very low severity circuits. We realised that, under the unique circumstances of this year, some of our 2017 compounds were perhaps conservative.

The teams will try out the new tyres for the first time next week during the 2 day Post-Abu Dhabi GP tyre test

I'm a bit at a loss why they have so many different tyres, since the hard and medium are already hardly used. They could skip those, there's no need for the superhard. And I wonder if the hypersoft is really necessary. Which would just leave three tyres, which you could name hard, medium, soft.

Im not sure I can summon up sufficient ****s to give about how many compounds pirelli can produce. It is sufficient for me to know that each race teams are allowed to use 3 different compounds. Other than that its just padding for the commentators.

Edited before gethinceri provides admonishment.

Last edited:
Maybe. Just maybe this will help... If the compounds are close enough that there is more than one 'good choice' or that the strategy that suits one car is different from the strategy that suits another...?

If Bernie was still in charge he might suggest a lottery or a draft to pick from a limited supply of each compound. You know, like US sports, so Sauber gets to pick first and ends up with more softer tyres than Mercs who pick last.

Anything to shake it up and randomise things a bit is good for me at this point.

even with these 7 compounds, which why we need a super hard when hard was used once in Spanish free practise & never again. but I saw something from Karun chandhok where he was saying that some grand prixs super soft is going to be hardest compound. thats going to make things even more confusing for even us fans never mind the neutrals or people that don't follow it so closely.

would it not be easier to just call the changing 3 compounds throughout the season at any weekend, the prime for hardest, middle for middle & option for softest

The whole tyres debate will go away once the over-reliance-on-aero issue is sorted and not before. Over the top aero reliance combined with numerous tyre compound options, that all change quickly with wear, type of wear, core temperature, surface temperature, etc makes for too many damn variables that occludes the real issue, which is motor-sport racing.

If the floor and front wings were standardised with reduced aero impact across the grid, things would get better. Tyres is just aero-chaff.

very interesting chat in sky fp3, that Pirelli have admitted that they have made a compound with if all things go to plan. they will never use. because apparently super hard is only there as a back up in case they have underestimated the 2018 cars. & no car will do a lap on them.

also Pirelli guy said that they will all be 1 step softer so your 2017 supersoft is your 2018 soft , 2018 ultrasoft is your 2018 supersoft but the hypersoft worries me because its 2 steps softer than the already 2018 1 step softer ultra soft. so can you imagine racing this year a tyre that is 3 steps softer than the ultra soft. it would barely last a qualifying lap

We need tyres that degrade. If there is no chance of the tyre going significantly slower at the end of a stint, there’ll be a procession of “manage the 2s gap” lapping.

And I said that before they changed it earlier.

Pirelli using new software to spice up F1 strategies

Pirelli has developed new software to help it choose race-by-race F1 tyre compounds in order to encourage 2 pitstops per event & give teams multiple strategy options

Using simulations through the season to find the best combination of 3 compounds to achieve its goals, which in some cases could mean "jumping" a compound step & for example nominating the medium, soft and ultrasoft, but not the supersoft. If we discover for example that soft, supersoft & ultrasoft are too close, we can nominate, as we did for China, where we did medium, soft and ultrasoft. It's important that we collect the delta laptimes between compounds to decide the selection.

Last edited:
Pirelli faces competition for F1 tyre supply deal

FIA president Jean Todt has confirmed that “more than one” tyre company has put in a bid for the 2020-2023 Formula 1 tyre contract. Sources suggest that Korean company Hankook is the main rival to current incumbent Pirelli. The ending of the tender was last night at midnight, I don’t have the result yet of who has been applying for the tender. I know it’s more than one, that I know. I knew since a while now, before August, that Michelin was not going to compete for the tender.”

Pirelli will continue as Formula 1's sole tyre supplier as it has won the tender to produce rubber for the championship for the 2020-2023 season

Pirelli secures tender to supply Formula 1 tyres until 2023

Chase Carey
"Pirelli have been an important & valued partner to F1 since 2011, They are leaders in providing innovative state of the art capabilities. They are a premium brand, a clear global leader in motorsport & our ongoing partnership with them is proof once more of our desire to align F1 with the best in motorsport & beyond. We are delighted to have reached this agreement, which guarantees a long-term stable future for such a crucial component of F1."

Jean Todt
"I am happy to have Pirelli appointed for another period as official tyre supplier to the FIA F1 world championship. It will allow all of us to enjoy the experience gained since 2011. We know how crucial & difficult is the role of the tyre supplier, particularly in F1."

these are 2019 & 2021 tyres that pirelli have showcased
Screenshot_20181125-105106.jpg

Does F1 need to scrap the Q2 tyre rule, because 1 of moans can be that nobody has differing strategies anymore they all do the same things. should we get rid of that. as we could've had 1 of the top maybe like gasly go on the hard tyre try to keep running until a safety car came out & go on to the soft tyre

I cant blame him, because he is right that the excuse of well they are new went years ago. they just ending their 9th season, bridgestone were only in 13. & there wet tyres were & probally still are better. would blow Pirelli out of the water, was it the 2018 or 2017 Brazilian gp where teams thought so little of them that they stuck inters on even in full wet conditions so that they compete

Back
Top Bottom