Grand Prix 2018 Belgian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

90 years ago, this November, the Bureau International Des Expositions was created by the signing of the convention relating to international exhibitions. Like most organisations, the BIE's home was Paris, France. The role of this organisation was to oversee the calendar, bidding process, selection and organisation of World Exhibitions and ensure that all countries worked together in the best conditions.

The first World Fair was held in Paris in 1844 and one of the best known of these early efforts became known as the Great Exhibition held in London in 1851 and featured the gigantic crystal palace. All these early world fairs featured technological developments and saw many technical wonders shown to the public for the first time.

As the years progressed, and with the formation of the BIE, the purpose of these fairs gradually moved away from technological developments and towards overall cultural themes. Ironically, the first of these was held in New York in 1939 and was titled "Building the world of tomorrow". Of course, over the next 6 years, nations did their very best to demolish the world of tomorrow.

Following the second world war, nation states were too busy rebuilding their shattered infrastructure and attempting to re-establish their economies to worry about holding cultural affairs. That was until Belgium was selected to host their 11th world’s fair. Expo 58. The theme would be "A World View - A New Humanism" and was set to run from July to September 1958.

The most well-known legacy of this event is the Atomium. The giant sculpture displays 9 Iron atoms formed into a cube representing the shape of an iron crystal magnified 165 billion times. The sculpture remains in Heysel Park on the outskirts of Brussels and is still open to the public today. It represented mankind’s faith and hope in scientific development and the nuclear age.

In 1958, Formula One chose its own way of honouring technical development as for the first time a trophy was awarded not just to the world champion driver but the International Cup for F1 Manufacturers was awarded to the most successful manufacturer. Initially, and until the late 70's, only one car, the best finishing, scored points towards the title. Vanwall became the first team to lift the new cup but Mike Hawthorn lifted the drivers title in his works Ferrari. Both cups were heading to Britain for the first time. Vanwall won 6 of the 9 races it entered that season with Moss and Brooks taking 3 wins each but unreliability cost both drivers the title. The Vanwall quite literally either won or broke down. Perhaps it was the involvement of an extremely gifted engineer, brought in to revise the car in 1957 after Vanwall's initial efforts in F1 were dismal failures. The name of that engineer? Colin Chapman.

At the 1958 Belgian GP, Tony Brooks finished first while Hawthorn finished second for Ferrari and Stuart Lewis-Evans brought a third Vanwall home in third place. Moss suffered an engine failure on the first lap. Further down the field, in the second Ferrari, a Belgian called Olivier Gendebien finished 6th in his first ever Belgian GP.

Gendebien had come to the attention of no less than Enzo Ferrari himself through his performance in sports car racing. Ferrari signed him to his team to drive in these events but also allowed him to make the occasional appearance in an F1 car. His best year however, was in 1960 where he took 2 podiums behind the wheel of a Cooper for the privateer Yoeman Credit racing team.

Enzo Ferrari summed Gendebien up as "a gentleman who never forgets that nobless oblidge and, when he is at the wheel, he translates this code of behaviour into an elegant and discerning forcefulness."

Such was this elegant and discerning forcefulness that, while very few would have ever heard of him in F1, his sports car record reads like this, 4 wins in the 24 hours of Le Mans, 3 wins in the 12 hours of Sebring, 2 wins at the 12 hours of Reims, 3 wins in the Targa Florio and 1 at the 1000km Nurbugring. A truly remarkable sports car record that few drivers even today, can match.

So, if anyone asks you in the future to name some famous Belgian racing drivers, among the likes of Gachot and Boutsen, don't forget to tell them about Olivier Gendebien. Gentleman, outstanding driver and Belgian.

Enjoy the race.

We shall see how qualifying goes, but right now my sense is that Ferrari has the edge, but it is not that big of one. It will probably carry them through Spa and Monza, tightening up the championship, and then we shall see.

That lap Hamilton put in was bonkers. It didn’t look as fast and then he set a time much faster than Vettel’s. And Ocon did a pretty good job with the resurrected Force India (whatever it’s called right now) it’s too bad he has no certainty about his future in F1.

Yeah I meant to say how well the new Force India guys did. Ocon knows hes out for next season, hardly a shock is it? But will he last the season in that car now? After that quali performance he should in my opinion.

Ocon uncertainty shows F1 structure "probably wrong" - Hamilton
So you find yourself agreeing with Hamilton.

Yes, the financial structure of F1 is wrong, they also need more teams and they also need a budget cap. It has not been discussed much in this group yet, but there is a soft budget cap coming in 2019 and I gather a hard one coming in 2021.

Anyhow, great lap from Hamilton. Should be an interesting race as I think the Ferrari is slightly faster. But I think what will be really entertaining will be the fight for 3rd between Ocon, Perez, Grosjean and Raikkonen.

Yeah I meant to say how well the new Force India guys did. Ocon knows hes out for next season, hardly a shock is it? But will he last the season in that car now? After that quali performance he should in my opinion.

Ocon uncertainty shows F1 structure "probably wrong" - Hamilton

Yeah its a big shame that he could be gone by monza/singapore. Because he is talented & should be in F1 but unfortunately this is not a new thing been going last 8 yrs. The size of talent is almost pointless because the size of the wallet is more vital. as you look at how pointless F2 had been for a many yrs when it was a dead end so many talented champs overlooked for finances.

That all comes down to fact despite this cost cutting that has doubled budgets to unsustainable levels.

Very entertaining qualifying. I know after 20yrs i should be used to this. It changed so quickly blue sky's & 45mins later tipping it down. Yeah in a way you could say vettel unlucky & Hamilton lucky. But we got the same front row as we all expected. This is the best 2nd of the season with slipstream down through eau rouge (& raidillion) then down kemmel straight. as brundle said during Q3 anyone 1 of 6 couldve been on pole in them final 2 mins. With rapid drying

Ferrari sabotaging kimi isnt new one. As it not like they have done that consistently for a few seasons. Rookie mistake As filling a car in wet in such common practise. As you never know when the right time is. Why I'm Very surprised at red bull shocking display as you wouldve thought they would filled up As well & gone in a for new set. Considering they were 1st out & had the chance with 3 mins to go.

What a story unsure if Force India would race on thursday & 3rd/4th in qualifying brilliant both drivers & strategists. So pleased for them. But ridiculous that ocon might not have a druve in f1 next week

That mclaren is dog isnt somehow they managed to make the car even worse than under 12 months ago. Becoming increasingly clear that the honda had their reliability issues. But alonso no surprise he's off & shouldve been shouting GP2 to car to peter prodromou who im increasingly amazed still has a job after the Vandoorne interview

DlduU_SWsAEdoIR.jpg

I just look down the order at some of the drivers who have put in good performances so far this weekend and realise it's contract time. A few drivers bricking it after the sudden shake up.

So you find yourself agreeing with Hamilton.

Yes, the financial structure of F1 is wrong, they also need more teams and they also need a budget cap. It has not been discussed much in this group yet, but there is a soft budget cap coming in 2019 and I gather a hard one coming in 2021.

Anyhow, great lap from Hamilton. Should be an interesting race as I think the Ferrari is slightly faster. But I think what will be really entertaining will be the fight for 3rd between Ocon, Perez, Grosjean and Raikkonen.

Yes, you know how rarely I agree with him ;)

Maybe we will see all the cars stop mid race and all the drivers rushing around and jumping into another car. That would be entertaining.

That crash on lap one was horrific, especially when you saw the tyre marks Alonso's car left on Leclerc's halo. Just shows how good it is they have them, I dread to think what might have happened if they hadn't. Hulkenberg totally messed up there.

Shame for Raikkonen and Ricciardo that their races were ruined too. Good effort by the new Force India team, Ericsson did well to get a point and a good podium for Verstappen. Bottas did well to get up to fourth but Hamilton totally gave up towards the end of the race as he so often does when he feels he can't win.

Back
Top Bottom