Grand Prix 2016 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Strewth, Bruce! The Australian Grand Prix is nearly here, ahead of a 2016 season build-up suffering from staggeringly low expectations and the people who are paid handsomely to promote Formula One seemingly trying to kill it with their media comments. So...

Well, the good thing with low expectations is that they can easily be bettered. Although Mercedes may be miles ahead of the field, it is quite possible that Ferrari have closed the gap and actual racing may occur there. The midfield looks rather tighter this year. We have a new team (Haas), Renault are returning and Manor are having a proper go of it!

Add to that a great big unknown with the tyre rules, and a selection of tyres made by each team that will probably look quite daft given that it was made before the new elimination system of qualifying was announced. So tyre strategy and qualification strategy are still rather unknown, which could add some insanity unpredictability.

Melbourne is often a race of high attrition, with the walls too close to the track for those unused to new cars, and unreliability also raising its ugly and seldom seen head. Daniil Kvyat, Valteri Bottas, Kevin Magnussen and Manor will be hoping to actually get to the start this year! Chances of attrition are hit by the exit-stage-left of Pastor Maldonado amid the complete collapse of the economy of Venezuela, but you never know :).

Despite the existance of Stoffel Vandoorne, the debutants are Mercedes' youth product Pascal Wehrlein, Indonesia's first ever F1 [pay-]driver Rio Haryanto and Jolyon "son-of-Jonathon" Palmer. It seems unlikely any will match Kevin Magnussen's 2nd-on-debut in 2014, however (which was, allegedly, the last time Ron Dennis smiled).

The last five Australian Grand Prix have been won by different drivers - Vettel, Button, Raikkonen, Rosberg and Hamilton. I'd be surprised if Raikkonen won it this year and mystified if Button did. Those same drivers (minus Rosberg) have monopolised pole position here since Giancarlo Fisichella stuck his Renault on pole in a rain-storm in 2005.

Sit back, and lets hope there's something to enjoy. There's life in the old dog yet, despite you, Bernie.

Last edited:
The class of 2016

1455975_10153869446716413_8365783522508753787_n.jpg

Wasn't fun for Alonso, lucky he's still here. Could easily have been a Senna result, luckily all the broken bits missed his helmet.

I'm not sure it was luck Kewee,

Most of the shrapnel we saw flying around was carbon, and while sharp does not have much mass. The two tyre tethers did there jobs and the wheels stayed attached (so no Senna result). Even the radiator on the left side, which was exposed before flipping, remained attached to the car.

Just proves how well the safety cell works.

He didn't look too anxious in the mix zone when talking to the Sky reporter. Anyway, I'm not going to measure the race by one accident which the driver walked away from.

-WBF1- .....I wasn't referring to carbon fibre, in any accident that violent tethers help but can't control the direction of suspension components that have sometimes broken free from the car but remain attached to the wheels. A drivers helmet or visor is always vulnerable to being pierced. That's why I said Alonso was lucky. A safety cell can only do so much, in this case it worked superbly.
Very good race anyway.

RasputinLives .... Lets hope its a forerunner for the rest of the season. All I need now is for the promised upgrades on the McLaren to work well enough to push them further up the finishing order and I'll be an even happier Kiwi. :)

Great to get to the end of the first race of the season which, as I posted before, I recorded and watched 'as live' and have not had the urge once to use the fast forward button. That in itself is a major improvement on last season.

Lots to smile about from the on track battles through to Mark Webbers podium shower.

Here's another thing, by bringing in more choice on tyres teams try different things and we get a more interesting race. Well who would have thought that?

Great stuff from Haas, the two Toro tots having a race long slanging match and a little cameo from Ricciardo.

Fantastic debut for Haas, Grosjean put in a superbly controlled drive under pressure from behind pretty much throughout.

Jolyon Palmer also impressed me, fighting strongly in the midfield, though faded a bit late on.

Max Verstappen isn't doing himself any favours by moaning, even if the team's strategy to pit Sainz first was odd to say the least. As the commentators said, if he's quicker than his team mate he should pass him...

A mention for Pascal Wehrlein also, who made a fantastic start and ran 14th up to the first stops, ahead of Bottas, the Saubers and Haas' (what's the plural of Haas?)

Raspberry for David Croft, whose fatuous comment about Sainz taking a dozen laps to pass Palmer snd Verstappen doing it in two corners was gently but rightly corrected by Brundle. Also, it's very odd to say that Vettel had the most successful debut season as a Ferrari driver, when compared to the likes of Fangio and Scheckter. Who uses podiums as the primary success measure?

A little note Rosberg has now won 4 in a row - every driver has subsequently won the championship after winning 4 races in a row ... I am sure the statisticians will twist it to winning 4 races in the same season to give hope to Lewis

Damon Hill and Ascare are the only world champions who won 4 races a row between 2 seasons to become world champions

I am wearing my helmet.

The red flag, Vettel's pit stop and Raikonnen's fire all worked favourably for Hamilton to get second place, he should have finished third at best or maybe even fourth.

The race showed the Mercedes choice of tyres was the best one, those medium tyres worked well.

Back
Top Bottom