Grand Prix 2016 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Strewth, Bruce! The Australian Grand Prix is nearly here, ahead of a 2016 season build-up suffering from staggeringly low expectations and the people who are paid handsomely to promote Formula One seemingly trying to kill it with their media comments. So...

Well, the good thing with low expectations is that they can easily be bettered. Although Mercedes may be miles ahead of the field, it is quite possible that Ferrari have closed the gap and actual racing may occur there. The midfield looks rather tighter this year. We have a new team (Haas), Renault are returning and Manor are having a proper go of it!

Add to that a great big unknown with the tyre rules, and a selection of tyres made by each team that will probably look quite daft given that it was made before the new elimination system of qualifying was announced. So tyre strategy and qualification strategy are still rather unknown, which could add some insanity unpredictability.

Melbourne is often a race of high attrition, with the walls too close to the track for those unused to new cars, and unreliability also raising its ugly and seldom seen head. Daniil Kvyat, Valteri Bottas, Kevin Magnussen and Manor will be hoping to actually get to the start this year! Chances of attrition are hit by the exit-stage-left of Pastor Maldonado amid the complete collapse of the economy of Venezuela, but you never know :).

Despite the existance of Stoffel Vandoorne, the debutants are Mercedes' youth product Pascal Wehrlein, Indonesia's first ever F1 [pay-]driver Rio Haryanto and Jolyon "son-of-Jonathon" Palmer. It seems unlikely any will match Kevin Magnussen's 2nd-on-debut in 2014, however (which was, allegedly, the last time Ron Dennis smiled).

The last five Australian Grand Prix have been won by different drivers - Vettel, Button, Raikkonen, Rosberg and Hamilton. I'd be surprised if Raikkonen won it this year and mystified if Button did. Those same drivers (minus Rosberg) have monopolised pole position here since Giancarlo Fisichella stuck his Renault on pole in a rain-storm in 2005.

Sit back, and lets hope there's something to enjoy. There's life in the old dog yet, despite you, Bernie.

Last edited:
....There's another side to that. Had there been no flag Hamilton was already in fourth place and booted till the end of the race... (

When Hamilton went into the pits Rosberg, who had already pitted, was up his exhaust pipe, this meant he was a pit stop ahead.. Hamilton put on medium tyres, Rosberg was on softs, so until Rosberg pitted he would be quicker than Hamilton. When he would have pitted Rosberg would have been one pit stop time plus the time Rosberg had gained (I would suggest at least 5 seconds, possibly more) and he would have been on the same rubber as Hamilton but with less wear.

Vettel was in front of Rosberg and would also have been building up more of a lead. You saw how close Vettel was at the end, well using the same strategy he did but ten seconds further down the road.

Unless Hamilton was faster on mediums than Rosberg was on softs and ditto with Vettel. Unlikely.

Hamilton benefited from the red flag.

Hamilto wouldn't have made it to the end of the race from Lap 19 on a pair of softs. The most a pair of softs managed was 26 laps with Daniel Ricciardo so he would have stopped again. Mute point really.

Last edited:
Hamilto wouldn't have made it to the end of the race from Lap 19 on a pair of softs. The most a pair of softs managed was 26 laps with Daniel Ricciardo so he would have stopped again. Mute point really.
He wasn't on Softs. Hamilton went on to mediums and was set to go to the end of the race, as indeed he did, because he only had the one set of mediums. He was changed to mediums in what was to be his only stop of the race. All the others had to stop again, Rosberg was switched to mediums at the red flag.
Bill Boddy , yes Rosberg was a pitstop ahead before the flag, but Hamilton had no more stops to make, Rosberg got a free one. At the end of the race Hamilton on worn mediums was a match for Vettel. Rosberg was suffering from brake and left rear tyre wear. The team couldn't warn him ( new rules) and they thought they were going to have to retire him. Hamilton didn't have those issues. So at the end if he'd been pushing Rosberg , if it was close, Rosberg is the one who would have suffered from tyre or brake damage not Hamilton.
Yes he caught up time to Vettel and Rosberg, but he lost the advantage of his one stop strategy, and considering how other things played out ( vettels wrong strategy and Rosberg's tyre and brake issues) I still think Hamilton was disadvantaged by that red flag.

Quite apart from everything else, did anybody else notice that that Renault engine (or whatever they call it on the Red Bull) suddenly looked a lot punchier on Melbourne's straights than it did last year?

I also put Hamilto if you want to pick that up too ;)

Sorry RasputinLives - I couldn't resist! Certain things wind me up, for no apparent reason... It's like when people write "here here", when they mean "hear hear"!

However, had Hamilton held out for just one more lap on his old tyres, he almost certainly would have won the race yesterday- his stop was the lap before Alonso's crash. Whilst Vettel managed to get by, Rosberg seemed to be struggling to make a pass stick! I wouldn't have been surprised, if he'd failed to pass for the next lap as well! (In fact, Rosberg didn't pass a single car all race).

Hamilton lost the race when he ****ed up the start. Case closed.
I think it may be more than that; Mercedes ****ed up their starts royally yesterday! Both Ferraris had massively superior starts to either of the Mercedes. I suspect that they will be back at the factory by now, picking to pieces what happened at the start, and why they failed so spectacularly!

One possibility, of course, is that Ferrari have either chosen a set of gear ratios that help their launch off the line, or alternatively, the low speed properties of the Ferrari engine are conducive to better starts; or both Mercedes drivers ballsed it up!

(It wouldn't surprise me if Merc had a car that was not designed to be quick off the line- historically, they've built cars that are very quick in isolation, but that struggle to follow other cars- so it might be that a car that is quick round the track has compromises built in with the launch.... However, I am completely speculating)!

I was listening to 5 live chequered flag podcast on my way to work. I was confused because they were talking why didnt vettel change tyres in the red flag stoppage. Now reason I was confused because I thought changing tyres during a red flag stoppage like we had on Sunday with alonso was banned after it ruined the Monaco gp back in 2011?? (If I remember correctly) we were on course for a great final 6/8laps with Vettel leading 1 stopping on 60odd lap old super softs & Button 1 more poss Lewis chasing him down on newer softs. We were wondering if he would hit cliff Red flag came out ruined it everyone just put on new super softs & fia said they would be closing loophole to stop it which they obviously havent because they talking about why Ferrari didn't do it

It's a similar story to last season. If Ferrari are closer then Merc can't rely on race pace, especially at circuits where overtaking is difficult.

That said the way Hamilton pointed his car yesterday was a little bizarre. Being on the outside going into turn one isn't the best place to be so it seems he had enough confidence in his start that he'd be ahead at that point.

I was listening to 5 live chequered flag podcast on my way to work. I was confused because they were talking why didnt vettel change tyres in the red flag stoppage. Now reason I was confused because I thought changing tyres during a red flag stoppage like we had on Sunday with alonso was banned after it ruined the Monaco gp back in 2011?? (If I remember correctly) we were on course for a great final 6/8laps with Vettel leading 1 stopping on 60odd lap old super softs & Button 1 more poss Lewis chasing him down on newer softs. We were wondering if he would hit cliff Red flag came out ruined it everyone just put on new super softs & fia said they would be closing loophole to stop it which they obviously havent because they talking about why Ferrari didn't do it

Rosberg changed his tyres from Softs to Mediums once the flag came out.

Once the red flag happens you are not in Parc Ferme conditions anymore.

I am sorry racecub but having checked on the tv coverage Hamilton was actually in seventh position when he came out of the pits after his stop.. Rosberg would have been a pit stop ahead of Hamilton when he came out of the pit lane and with Raikonnen, Verstappen and Sainz ahead of him and slowing him down. It was lap 42 by the time he cleared them, in the meantime he had lost ten seconds to Rosberg ; from there to the end the nearest he got to Rosberg was 6.76 seconds.

As an extra had there not been a red flag events would have been different, Rosberg would never have had the problem which nearly caused his retirement and he would have been further ahead, Vettel would have have cleared Hamilton when Vettel pitted and it is possible that he would have either won or it would have been a very close thing.

The timings I have given can be verified at Event & Timing Information

I am sorry racecub but having checked on the tv coverage Hamilton was actually in seventh position when he came out of the pits after his stop.. Rosberg would have been a pit stop ahead of Hamilton when he came out of the pit lane and with Raikonnen, Verstappen and Sainz ahead of him and slowing him down. It was lap 42 by the time he cleared them, in the meantime he had lost ten seconds to Rosberg ; from there to the end the nearest he got to Rosberg was 6.76 seconds.

As an extra had there not been a red flag events would have been different, Rosberg would never have had the problem which nearly caused his retirement and he would have been further ahead, Vettel would have have cleared Hamilton when Vettel pitted and it is possible that he would have either won or it would have been a very close thing.

The timings I have given can be verified at Event & Timing Information
Yes he was 7th after his pitstop, but had he not stopped when he did. He'd have been in fourth. That's my point. Right up there with the Ferraris and Rosberg.

Qualifying was the unmitigated disaster that I foresaw, and forewarned of right here, as soon as it was first mooted; and has now been 'muted', to possibly make a come-back in another reincarnation at a later date. What a load of bollocks!

Quote from a BBC article: "We wanted to improve the show and we went in the wrong direction," Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff said" and, on the decision to cancel it, Mr Wolff added "It shows there is common sense in F1."

ROFL .... Oh Dear, Toto, you really need to get off whichever planet you ****ing inhabit and smell the bullshit state F1 is now in.

I'm not watching the race as I've heard the result, heard about the crash and heard about the Ferrari cock-up.
Typing that sentence .... and this one .... is more time than I can consider wasting on Sunday's 'show' as it was provided.
:(

Back
Top Bottom