2014 driver line up market

There's a lot of pride to be swallowed from both parties and it's quite a big **** you to Alonso because there's no way Kimi will sign anything that makes him a number two. I won't be convinced that it's happening until it's officially confirmed. Will make Ferrari an exciting team to watch though based on what happened in 2007 when Alonso was challenged by Hamilton!

Last edited:
Nah. Hulkenberg will go drive for the Enstone team for a bag of chips and a can of Iron Brew. Its a seat that will give him the chance of a race victory or two and his best option to actually have his own team behind him.

If Kimi goes I'm not sure Enstone have any other option........unless of course Fernando walks on Ferrari and ends up coming 'home'. Then we'd have Kimi and Massa at Ferrari next year again! As for Kimi and Ferrari - no pride swallowed just more pockets lined.

Further down the grid can I just chuck a couple of quid on Russian teenage Danny Kvyat for the Toro Rosso seat? He's currently been doing his best Sebastian Vettel impression in GP3 having lead both feature races from start to finish in the last 2 rounds (even setting fastest laps at the end when he could have been easing down due to the huge gap) and is having a late charge on the GP3 title which I think he'll win in Abu Dhabi. The other Red Bull junior drivers are Carlos Sainz Jr, who he's beating hands down and Felix Da Costa who has been off form in Renault World Series so I think Kvyat will get the nod due to performance and the handy nationality thing with one of the new races next year.

If this is true then let the long (or short) slide toward the rear end of the grid begin for Team Enstone.

Without the major support of a manufacturer the results will dry up and so will the cash. The fact they are "branded" Lotus isn't doing them any good as it's not bringing in any real cash.

While for a season it may be a good move for the Hulk I would be suprised if the team could continue to provide a front line car throughout his stay there.

I would liken it to Piquet replacing Senna (not that I'm saying Kimi and Nico are in the same league) at Lotus in 88. While seemed like a prime move for Piquet, his first season brought a couple of podiums and his second a couple of points.

The big trouble for Nico is he is running out of options. One more year in a not very quick Sauber? or jump now and hope to land on both feet ??

As for Kimi at Ferrari, it would be interesting that's for sure.

I keep saying Enstone won't go anywhere. They constantly lose big name driver, slip back, find another one and move forward. From Berger to Schumacher to Alonso its just how the team has always worked. I'm pretty sure whatever the financial situation the team at Enstone are always a safe bet to come up with competitive car at least every other year and eventually someone will invest in them and a driver will emerge that pushes them forward for a bit before he is taken away to drive at some 'bigger' team. Before Kimi came in they had Petrov and Heidfield and were 'about to do a Lotus' then and they came back with Kimi.

If Ferrari hire Raikkonen, then I don't see this ending well for anyone if Alonso's there too.

For Ferrari, it could be a major disaster and lose a big sponsor, Raikkonen will probably get beaten by Alonso since the teams been around Alonso and know what he needs in a car.

Then there's the fact there could be a bust up between the three. We've already seen Alonso making snide remarks to the team for a quite a few races now.

Add to that, I don't think the move seems right for Raikkonen. With Ferrari reportedlty having the worst engine out of the three an KERS, then also windtunnel problems for the last 3 years, I just don't see them being competitive in the next few years, add to that, he's going to a team that paid him not to drive, and then he's up against one of the best currently on the grid today.

Last edited:
I agree. There is nothing to suggest that this is a good idea or that history will not repeat.

Alonso doesn't like a competitive team mate and screwed his team the last time he had one.
Di Montezemolo doesn't like Raikkonen and paid him $20m not to drive in 2010.
Raikkonen doesn't like politics and drove for Lotus to avoid the bull.

Not a good place to start.

Kimi likes money - Ferrari pay money. Ferrari like big names with big sponsors so it fits that way but not many others.

At least when they both get beat by Vettel next year they'll be able to play the "we took on a competitive team mate" card.

Rumour is that Alonso might be off to Lotus with Santander, so his team-mate could either be Grosjean or Hulkenberg.

I think it's time Lotus ditched Grosjean, he's only looked good once this season, and even then he fluffed it.

I think they've already confirmed Grosjean haven't they? To be honest if Alonso is leaving Ferrari because Kimi is coming in I don't think they'll plump for Hulkenberg as he has even more potential to cause trouble!

If Alonso walks from Ferrari I think we'll see a Kimi/Hulk Ferrari pairing.

Kimi likes money - Ferrari pay money.

I think to be fair Kimi likes money as much as the next person. The difference between Lotus and Ferrari in this area is that Ferrari actual pay their driver salaries on time while Lotus have been a bit slow on occasions. As I understand it, the financial problem with Lotus is not how much they promise to pay, it is more how often they keep that promise.

Slyboogy is that a rumour you've heard about, or one you've just started?;)

A bit of both :p

The rumour of a straight swap between the two has actually been going around for a while.

I don't have twitter, but on another forum (another forum? :o - yes another forum -) there are a lot of 'tweets' from a few sources that are usually correct.

With Alonso being quite vocal, just like he was with Renault in 2006 before he jumped ship, I wouldn't be surprised.

If Alonso leaves Ferrari I think Seb can be sure it won't be him being booed at Monza next year.

I think to be fair Kimi likes money as much as the next person. The difference between Lotus and Ferrari in this area is that Ferrari actual pay their driver salaries on time while Lotus have been a bit slow on occasions. As I understand it, the financial problem with Lotus is not how much they promise to pay, it is more how often they keep that promise.

Whilst I understand this I think a return to Ferrari is far more about the amount of money they are paying him than whether its on time or not. I doubt Kimi was having to bung a tenner off a mate just so he had enough Milk anyways. Cash is the only reason I can see why he'd go back to team he openly said treated him poorly in its current state. If they had a car that was winning championships I could see why he'd bite his lip and go back but right now I don't see what he gains in moving - if anything he's in a worse situation than already as it looks like he'll be paired with a team-mate who will beat him. The only benefit I can see is a couple of extra zero's at the end of his bank balance.

The question is, which team is more likely to get a 2014 car working out of the box ? Renault or Ferrari ??

To jump or not to jump? that is the question.

I think its 50/50 on that front and if you way in the fact that the added risk at Ferrari is that they might get their car working you might be second in line for the upgrades that make it work and I think its a risk.

Maybe I'm being harsh - I probably am. If it comes to light Kimi was offered the Red Bull drive and turned it down though expect a rant.

Back
Top Bottom