2014 driver line up market

F1 memories are short but I am sure Eric Bouillier blamed Alonso for his part in leaving then Renault in a state for seeking his fortune with Ferrari

Carlos Ghosn too won;t have forgotten how Flavio BRiatore convinced Renault that Alonso was worth getting back out of Mclaren and it was not cheap either some $30m plus $30m each year he was paid before crashgate almost destroyed Renault

Now Renault have not got involved in team affairs as such but surely even they will not fork out all Alonso's wages unless a substantial sponsor comes in

I don't see it happening unless Fernando offers himself to drive for free and earns through self sponsors

Unless he is being pushed out of Ferrari and has no choice Alonso would come across as very weak if he moves to Lotus, which by almost all measures would be a step down. I said I'd be very surprised if Kimi went to Ferrari and I'll be even more surprised if Alonso leaves, and in a way disappointed.

Another possibility is that Kimi has seen the state of Lotus's finances. They seem to be struggling financially more than most. Could it be they won't be around next year? The recent raft of car developments seems to suggest no but it's not totally impossible.

rufus_mcdufus
the uncertainty level around Lotus has been around for a while because the lack of investment Genii capital are willing to put and inability to attract big sponsors despite its JPS reminiscence

The team will slide down possibly but not under just yet

- There is not any real character to the team in relation to the great name and Chapman it has to be said

---------------

There are talking working closer with Renault and Total so how does it work when Red Bull have already got a 5 year with Infiniti and suppose to be de facto Renault No 1 partners

There maybe a possibility of getting engines from Honda whose contract with Mclaren allows them to supply one other team but it wont happen if they are serious about it

Hulkenberg looks like he may get the drive where he will race his old junior rival Grosjean from GP2 days so it will be fascinating to see whose career may go up and whose down from their battle

The only way I could see the Massa/Grosjean pairing producing worthwhile results would be if their contracts were strictly on a race-to-race basis. Since they both step up their game at contract time, such an arrangement might lead to some decent points.

So Kimi confirmed at Ferrari. :)

Is this correct for next year ? I am only listing those with a contract.

Redbull - Vettel & Ricciardo
Ferrari - Alonso & Kimi
Mercedes - Hamilton & Rosberg
McLaren - TBC & Perez
Lotus - TBC & TBC
TorroRosso - TBC & TBC
Williams - TBC & Pic
Force India - TBC & DiResta
Sauber - TBC & Sirotkin
Marrusia - TBC & TBC

Last edited:
Button's option is to be decided by Mclaren who are expected to take it up given that is the only world champion they can sign

Wishful thinking if Button will be paired with Hamilton again seeing Mercedes did not really want Button 4 years ago

Rosberg - I would have said Di Resta could replace him because of Norbert Haug but really only Hulkenberg would replace him if Mercedes seeks a top German driver

Rosberg could end up back at Williams but I don;t see it happening given Nico's 2 wins

the next seats up for grabs are the ones at Lotus although Bouillier says Grosjean staying helps continuity

Back
Top Bottom