Football 2014-15 Season

TEABAGYOKEL'S ANNUAL SHOUTING AT EUROPEAN GROUP STAGES

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

A: Atletico Simeone, Juventus, Olimpiacos, Malmo

Essentially, this group is a prime example of having two teams who I would damn well expect to go through, and I'm not talking about Olimpiacos or Malmo. Atletico Simeone to finish top, even if they meet Juve on the day of the wedding of their daughter.

B: Cristiano Showcase Special, Basel, Brendan FM, Ludogorets Razgad
So Brendan FM is back in the big time, where the sight of Cristiano Ronaldo going up against Glen Johnson promises to be one of the sights of the year. Basel are tricky, but Cristiano and Brendan will be sampling the next round. In that order.

C: Benfica, Zenit KKK, Pills Leverkusen, A$ Monaco
This is one of the most balanced groups in the Champions League for a long time, and as such I don't have any idea who will win it. I suppose it depends on how many people Monaco actually manage to sell by next week.

D: University of Arsenal, Borussia Dortmund, Galatasaray Hell, Anderlecht
The University of Arsenal's year on year battle to manage to do the exact same manner of finishing fourth and getting eliminated in the last 16 of the Champions League continues unabated, while Dortmund will beat them to top the group.

E: Der Barcelona, Al-Citeh, The Red Army, Roma
While Pep Guardiola's transformation of formerly successful German enterprise Bayern to Der Barcelona has even gone down to the kit, such fundamentalism might give Al-Citeh a chance of topping the group. If Pellegrini gets his maths right...

F: Barcelona, Paris Saint-Zlatan, Ajax, APOEL Capitalisation
Ajax always draw Barcelona or the Cristiano Showcase, so that's good for their Europa League campaign. PSZ may well top this group, unless the transformation of Barcelona into Old Barcelona has been successful.

G: Poor Little Chelsea, Schalke, Sporting Portugal, Maribor
Poor Little Chelsea come up against the might of three teams they should easily beat. The interesting thing is whether Schalke or Sporting Portugal will manage to join them in the next round. With Nani a new signing for Sporting, my money is on Schalke.

H: Porto, Shakhtar Anywhere But Donetsk, AC Basque Nationalism, BATE
The fact Shakhtar can't play within 200 miles of their home due to the warzone status of Donetsk gives a decent chance to AC Basque Nationalism to join Porto in the last 16.

EUROPA LEAGUE

A: Villarrael, B M'glad'ch, FC Zurich, Apollon

Is it just me who thinks that this will be Villarrael and B M'glad'ch to progress. They must be better than FC Zurich and Apollon, surely?

B: Kobenhavn, Club Brugge, Torino, HJK
Well, Finnish sides have as poor a record in Europe as they do in the Expressive Speaking World Championships, so it'll be Kobenhavn to join Torino. And I'm not Anglicising one and not the other.

C: Tottenham Highpress, Ba Siktas, Partizan Belgrade, Asteras Tripoli
Well Ba Siktas did well against Arsenal, despite Demba's knees being on the brink of imminent collapse, according to Stoke about 4 years ago. Tottenham and them to go through.

D: Mateschitz Salzburg, Glasgow Popes, Dinamo Zagreb, Astra Giurgiu
The Glasgow Popes have been quoted as having an easy draw, but they've been knocked out of the Champions League twice by worse clubs. Because they're shit. I expect Energy Drink sales to go through. Christian Horner to take credit.

E: PSV, Confused "Irish" Greeks, Estoril, Dynamo Moscow
The Confused "Irish" Greeks tend to do OK in Europe despite never winning the Greek league, probably because they think they're Irish. They'll go through with PSV.

F: INTER, Dnipro Dnipro, Saint Steve, Qarabag Anywhere But Agdam
So we've got one team whose home ground was destroyed in 1993, one whose home ground has been banned by UEFA despite not being in the warzone, one whose home ground is in France and INTER. Who'll go through with Saint Steve.

G: Sev-ee-ya, Average Liege, Feyenoord, Rijeka
Well, Sev-ee-ya are defending Champions. They'll go through here, probably with either Average Liege or Feyenoord. Maybe I'm overly harsh on Eastern Europe? Sorry about that.

H: Lille, Volkswagen, Nice Everton, Krasnodar
The whole point of a seeding system in the Europa League is that this does not happen. Holy crap. Krasnodar beat Sociedad 3-0 in qualifying too! Can't call this, sorry.

I: Napoli... FACT, This! Is! Sparta! Prague, Young Boys, Slovan Bratislava
Young Boys. I'll resist the obvious jokes. I suspect Rafa Benitez was punching the air at Al's Toy Barn when he saw this draw. No idea who'll join them.

J: Dynamo Actually In Kiev, Steaua Ceaucescu, Rio Ave, Aalborg
What happens to a dictator's pet team when the dictator is deposed? They end up playing Dynamo Actually In Kiev in the Europa League. Once let a 3 goal lead slip against Middlesbrough. Not impressive. Kiev and Aalborg, why not?

K: Fiorentina, Paok, Drogba's Old Team Guingamp, Dinamo Minsk
Fiorentina might just be happy with this group. And they'll be joined by Paok, which will be nice for them. Dinamo Minsk have done well already.

L: Metalist Quite Near Russia, Trabzon Quite Near Europe, Paperwork Warsaw, Lokeren
Legia Warsaw need to get their paperwork in order this time, really. Reprieving the Glasgow Popes like that isn't on. Trabzon QNE need to get through!

Here are my serious picks without any explanations because they are totally not based on gut feelings (teams listed in projected finish order):

Champions League:

Group A:
Atletico, Juve, Olympiacos, Malmo

Group B: Liverpool, Madrid, Basel, Ludogorets

Group C: Leverkusen, Zenit, Monaco, Benfica

Group D: Dortmund, Galatasaray, Anderlecht, Arsenal

Group E: Munich, Roma, City, CSKA

Group F: PSG, Barcelona, Ajax, APOEL

Group G: Chelsea, Schalke, Sporting, Maribor

Group H: Bilbao, Shakhtar, Porto, BATE

Underdogs I want to go through: Olympiacos, Basel, Ajax, Maribor

Europa League:

Group A:
Monchengladbachenbachgladchenbach, Villareal, Zurich, Apollon

Group B: Torino, Brugge, Copenhagen, HJK

Group C: Tottenham, Besiktas, Partizan, Asteras Tripoli

Group D: Dinamo Zagreb, Red Bull, Celtic, Astra Giurgiu

Group E: PSV, Dynamo Moscow, Panathanaikos, Estoril

Group F: Dnipro, Inter, St Etienne, Qarabag

Group G: Sevilla, Feyenoord, Rijeka, Liege

Group H: Everton, Wolfsburg, Lille, Krasnador (This isn't fair)

Group I (Wait, what?): Napoli, Young Boys, Bratislava, Sparta Prague,

Group J (is terrible): Dynamo Kyiv (I need to stop picking Ukrainian teams), Rio Ave, Steaua, AaB

Group K: Fiorentina, PAOK, Guingamp, Dinamo Minsk (fun fact Dinamo Minsk, Moscow, and Kyiv all have the same logo)

Group L (also sucks): Trabzonspor, Lokeren, Metalist Kharkiv, Legia Warsaw

Is this a joke on Sky? It says Leicester have beaten Man U 5-3.
I was busy drowning my sorrows after another defeat (hate that phrase) for Liverpool and getting more frustrated by the dire state of Formula one, when all became right with the world courtesy of news from Filbert St ... or wherever Leicester play these days!

Two words:
Captain Rooney.
When Captain Rooney gets in his defense's face after allowing a goal and still has to desperately chase back to cover, its not his fault. Its LVG's fault for putting together an absolute shit defense, completed by his absolute shit signing of an absolute shit player Daley Blind.

soccerman17 - Erm, yes it is. Almost everything that went wrong was a captain's job to put right. That bawling at the defence was at the end of a goal that was his fault. But it is 100% his job to calm the team down at 3-1 up, and he didn't do it.

Lack of leadership. Captain Rooney.

You can't put the other 4 goals on the captain who plays forward. Sure its his job to lead the team but regardless of what the captain is doing no defense should allow four goals in half an hour to inferior opposition. You also can't start Blackett, Rojo, Evans, Rafael, and Daley Blind together as a back four + holding mid combo and expect to not get scored on. On the goal that Rooney was screaming about four Man Utd players were surrounding Cambiasso as he received the ball inside the 18 and he was still able to turn and shoot.

Anyways, Kasper Schmeichel playing goalie for Leicester and got the win against his dad's former team so that's exciting.

You don't need a defence to win from 3-1 up at Leicester. You need leadership. All they needed to do was keep the ball and choke off possession.

Far worse defences will not concede 5 at Leicester. They need a captain who prevents disaster rather than angrily reacting to it.

You don't need a defence to win from 3-1 up at Leicester. You need leadership. All they needed to do was keep the ball and choke off possession.

Far worse defences will not concede 5 at Leicester. They need a captain who prevents disaster rather than angrily reacting to it.
Fair point, but I'm sure worse defences will understand their weaknesses and take an overall more defensive approach to offer help to the back four. The big problem was the combination of Man U's attacking style and piss poor defending. Not much midfield help at times thanks to the way LVG prefers to play. It worked OK with the Dutch in the World Cup because they played 5 in the back plus 2 holding midfielders. With 4 in the back and 1 holding mid, not so much.

I'm not absolving Van Gaal of the stupidity that appears to have afflicted Manchester United's dealings thus far this season. QPR were beaten before they got off the bus, so in the 4 games where teams have challenged United* they've lost to Swansea and Leicester and drawn with Sunderland and Burnley.

Leicester are above them having had Everton (h), Chelsea (a), Arsenal (h) & Stoke (a) before they met each other.

They need to ensure that this doesn't do what it is clearly threatening to do, and turn into decline, although it would be hilarious.

*Not including the MK game, in which they clearly couldn't give a shit

I posted this in last seasons thread, I have a feeling it could become true.

I've been watching the situation with that team quite closely. One bad season doesn't mean the end but I can see possible problems in the future if it continues.

I think they could quite easily end up in the same situation as Leeds. Without the champions league and not challenging for a domestic title could mean their vast number of creditors will get nervous about their investment.

It will only take one company to decide to recall their portion of the enormous debt to start a chain reaction forcing them to sell off their assets. In this case it would be the expensive players 1st, without a good team and competent manager then relegation threatens and their legion of glory supporters will jump ship and the club could crash harder than Leeds ever did.

Man U should never lose 4-0 to MK Dons, even with zero shits given.

They say LVG either succeeds emphatically until he says enough stupid stuff to piss of the owners or fails incredibly. Never stays in one place very long. I could definitely see his Man U experience being one of his incredible failures.

As for ending up in the same situation as Leeds, I doubt it will happen. The UEFA Financial Fair Play regulations should prevent them from going into too much debt, and they shouldn't be relegated. Even if they are relegated the staying power of their brand should allow them to make enough money to get back up, as Newcastle and Juventus were able to do. I'd say worst case scenario is Man U becoming a perpetually mediocre mid-table team a la Aston Villa, which would still be quite funny.

So when did Iceland get really good? And how? Those boys play smart that's for sure.

Also shout out to Chiellini for scoring 3 goals in his team's 2-1 win. Not bad for a center back.

Back
Top Bottom