Grand Prix 2013 Brazilian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

It all comes down to the final race, sort of. There is no ‘versus’ this year, in terms of the WDC or the WCC – RBR have them both in the bag.

Alonso is safely second in the driver’s championship and, realistically, third place will go to either Hamilton or Webber – with Rosberg as a long shot if Hamilton and Webber fail to finish. Mark Webber usually excels here, and as this is his last race in F1, he may decide to go out in a blaze of glory and capitalise on Hamilton’s lack of luck in Brazil.

Second place in the WCC is as equally exciting, with Mercedes and Ferrari contending for the honour and cash. On paper, it should be Mercedes with two strong drivers; however, Massa sometimes does well at his home track, winning in 2006 and 2008, and may yet be inclined to pull his finger out again for his home fans!

Rumour has that the circuit is one of the most demanding for the drivers, and that it is loved by teams and fans alike but is that enough to create an exciting race when there is sod all at stake except for individual drivers who are still looking for next year’s seat?

Interlagos has been part of the F1 circus for 40 years, becoming a permanent fixture in 1990 and has been the venue for many deciding battles – sadly, not so this year – but it could yet throw up a stonking race.

Maybe because Mercedes, unsure of what the weather'll be like come race-day, have tried different set-up directions on each car? One with a substantially higher downforce setting than the other?

Don't know if anyone else heard Crofty describe the mods done to the tarmac to avoid the rivers that normally appear at Interlagos but they have cut gtrooves in the track surface to take the water away. Looking at the running yesterday and today it appears to have worked.

O2jgSga.jpg

All the drivers believe the decision to wait was correct and it was not possible to tell whether intermediates or full wets would be necessary until they were tried. Webber said maybe they could have gone out a fraction sooner but was also unsure what would have been the correct tyre choice had they made that decision, hence he also believed it was best to wait. This is a track that's witnessed some serious accidents which would also have been on the stewards minds.

Over the last three or four years they seem to have become more and more cautious. You can argue whether that's a good thing or not but seriously they should just not bother with the extreme wets if they're going to do that. In a world where cost saving is king think about how much money they would save by not having to produce and transport 264 full wet tyres for every weekend (3 sets per driver, 22 drivers, 4 tyres per set).

I wasn't arguing, I just believe when the worlds top drivers collectively agree with the decision to delay everyone should listen. They have a deep understanding of the effect heavy rain has at the different tracks, we don't. This track has a reputation for rivers after heavy rain and nobody knew how effective the modifications to the surface would be.

I wasn't pointing the finger at you specifically when I said you can argue, "one can argue" is what I meant. It's not just this track where this has happened though and it's frustrating every time. Canada 2011 was another example - the safety car was out for ages due to the rain and as soon as it came in everyone piled in to the pits for inters.

sushifiesta totally agree. The only time F1 cars shouldn't be running in the rain is if the cars are aquaplaning off at every corner. I wonder how many laps have been done on the full wets in recent years. I bet its not many. Delays and safety car running should only happen in extreme conditions. And waiting for conditions to improve until inters can be used has happened way to often. Charlie Whiting has lost the plot when it comes to wet weather if you ask me.

Last edited:
Only in with a small chance if it's wet.

And I don't buy that "not having bothered to qualify before". The car has visibly lacked traction for a long time but in the wet no-one has any traction anyway.

Last edited:
So the fact he's been consistantly out qualified by Massa recently doesn't suggest to you he's not been getting the job done?

Back
Top Bottom