Grand Prix 2012 British Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

After a Grand Prix in Valencia which was probably better than all the others put together it shows that F1 2012 is completely mad. For the first time this season there is a driver with 2 wins after Fernando Alonso benefited from a retirement from Vettel and any pressure from behind was gone when Grosjean lost drive not long after Vettel stopped. The big talking point came on the penultimate lap involving Maldonado and Hamilton which resulted in Hamilton being pitched into the wall and Maldonado lost a podium which seemed pretty certain as it was only a matter of time before he passed the McLaren who had fallen off the cliff.

Without the safety car it was likely that Vettel would have won at a canter as he was a long way ahead before the race changing event in the middle of the race, but he pulled up soon after the restart gifting Alonso the lead and he would keep this until the end of the race, and because of Hamilton's issues he inherited the lead of the Championship with Mark Webber's fourth place meaning he jumped up into second place. Perhaps the biggest shock of the weekend was a first podium for Michael Schumacher since his return to the sport in 2010. Both his and Webber's strategy meant they were able to come through the field and claim major points just like Alonso did as all three started outside the top 10.

Fernando Alonso's victory marks a dramatic turnaround in fortunes for Ferrari as he stormed to victory in a car which was barely faster than the midfield cars at the start of the season, but now the car is as consistently fast as the Lotuses and the McLarens, certainly in race trim anyway but not quite up to the level of the Red Bulls as shown in the early race but we've still yet to see a straight fight between Alonso and Vettel which would provide a true reflection of where the teams are at.

Once again Lotus had the pace for a victory and had Grosjean not have retired he could well have possibly claimed a maiden win for him and the team. Kimi Raikkonen spent most of the race stuck behind Hamilton which prevented him from having a shot at Alonso and by the time he got past there were just a few laps remaining and claimed a comfortable second place which he said underwhelmed him, although since when has he ever been anything but that!?

Looking ahead to the British Grand Prix the atmosphere will once again be fever pitch as McLaren could well be in their best position yet to compete for victory with the high speed corners suiting the MP4-27 and knowing the British summer it could well be a cool day which will suit the car even better and both Hamilton and Button will be fighting for the win. Jenson Button has had a horrid record at Silverstone with no podium finishes in the 12 years he has been driving in Formula One. Hamilton has a better record with podiums in 2007 and 2010 and a famous win in the wet in 2008 where he destroyed the competition.

I know that quite a few members from this site are going to the grand prix and I hope that you all have a great weekend, providing McLaren can nail down their pit stops there is a very good chance that a British driver could be at the top step of the podium, or who knows, if Lotus can finally find the sweetspot then perhaps an eighth winner can be on the cards!

For Galahad's brilliant circuit write up - http://cliptheapex.com/pages/silverstone-circuit/

Ah yes. I said similar. We'll have to let things take their course and see what happens. I would rather see him stop driving like a twat than be kicked out. If he doesn't, though, then he needs to be excluded.

Josh

The fact Mclaren only really ahead of the 4 teams at the bottom of the constructors on current place should be a worrying sign

From what I saw today Mclaren would have scored no points if some of the other faster cars did not hit trouble namely Williams and Sauber

Sam Michael has been at Williams for 8 years or so in a senior engineer position so surely he would have been able to see something is not working and sort it out

Mike Coughlan has only been in the team for 2 years and he''s clearly having some involvement in the team direction

That's what I thought Mephistopheles, so it's reassuring that I'm not on my own. It certainly didn't look like the right thing to do was a short stint on softs in the middle anyway, but then the way Hamilton's pace fell away on the hards in the last stint made me think that Mclaren were in trouble whichever way they had gone.

Do you think that if Alonso had gone longer on the middle stint, he might have been able to hold Webber off at the end? I can't remember what his lap times were like towards the end of his second stint on the primes.

My point is that nobody knew how the tyres where going to be so which tyre a driver started on was a gamble but once they had chosen there was no going back but McLaren would have known by the first stop that it would have been better to do a second stint on the hard tyres, that was their mistake not what tyres they choose to start on as that was just a guess.

There is no point in saying oh they should have started on the softs because as we know hindsight has 20/20 vision....

Chad Stewarthill Yes I think Alonso would have won with a shorter final stint and I have no idea why Lewis was so slow in his final stint he lost almost 10 seconds to his team mate in that phase of the race, and that's with Button being held up behind Senna and the force india...

I found it rather disturbing watching Lewis running five consecutive laps a second a lap off the pace of the guys who pitted and hearing his race engineer telling him he was turning competitive lap times. There is little point conserving your tyres if you are losing a second a lap, it is the strategy of the demented! :(

I've not read too many of the post-race comments on here, so I don't know how much this has been mentioned, but I wanted to say that personally I was very happy for Webber. I think he drove brilliantly and really on his day, Vettel cannot touch him. Unfortunately for Mark, he has certain tracks where he is brilliant, others where he is fairly average and then a fair amount where he is in-between those 2 extremes. But one must agree that on his day and on the right track he is sometimes unstoppable. For sure, Sebastian must be happy that the next race is at Hockenheim and not the Nurburgring, as that is another track that Mark excels.

Putting this aside though, I have thought that apart from the 3 races that Vettel put it on pole this year, Mark has been on top of Seb and only lost out to him through poor luck. Even at Valencia, Mark arguably could have been right up there with him. But at Canada and Bahrain, when the car was the class of the field, Vettel, as usual, got pole and fought for the win. This victory at Silverstone though showed that when the car is very strong, Mark can still compete and out-perform Vettel and so even if the season did come down to an inter-team battle at Red Bull, it at least looks like there will be a battle to be had!

I just got back from Silverstone...

My first GP and the experience was brilliant, it was a fastastic atmosphere throughout the entire weekend. Although the rain was a pain in the arse. Took over an hour to push the car out of the mud in the car park and it looked as though an elephant had shit on me but it was still enjoyable, I just wish the race was a bit better. Also the only time I wanted rain (in the race) it was really warm sunshine and I got sunburnt! >:(

I would highly recommend going to a GP for those that havn't been to one.

on the Maldonardo vs Senna discussion; its much easier to 'reign-in' a fast agressive driver than to make a slower but more sensible driver fast. Raw pace and aggression is what teams want from cheap drivers. They'll be working on making him a more complete and thinking driver. Stop the silly mistakes and he could be a contender. Not so sure how you're ever going to make Senna a front runner.

My point is that nobody knew how the tyres where going to be so which tyre a driver started on was a gamble but once they had chosen there was no going back but McLaren would have known by the first stop that it would have been better to do a second stint on the hard tyres, that was their mistake not what tyres they choose to start on as that was just a guess.

There is no point in saying oh they should have started on the softs because as we know hindsight has 20/20 vision....

I think their decision on 2nd stint tyre choice was driven by other factors - eg when he needed to stop because the tyres were going away, they knew he was going to end up in a bit of traffic. Rather than waste the faster Hard tyres there, they decided to put him on Softs for a short stint and told him to burn them up trying to pass, hoping for more clear running on the better tyres in the final stint. The strategy call worked OK for them, but for some reason the pace just didn't come when he needed it after that 2nd stop. And every team has had that problem at some stage this year - either your car turns-on the Pirellis or it just doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom