Grand Prix 2012 British Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

After a Grand Prix in Valencia which was probably better than all the others put together it shows that F1 2012 is completely mad. For the first time this season there is a driver with 2 wins after Fernando Alonso benefited from a retirement from Vettel and any pressure from behind was gone when Grosjean lost drive not long after Vettel stopped. The big talking point came on the penultimate lap involving Maldonado and Hamilton which resulted in Hamilton being pitched into the wall and Maldonado lost a podium which seemed pretty certain as it was only a matter of time before he passed the McLaren who had fallen off the cliff.

Without the safety car it was likely that Vettel would have won at a canter as he was a long way ahead before the race changing event in the middle of the race, but he pulled up soon after the restart gifting Alonso the lead and he would keep this until the end of the race, and because of Hamilton's issues he inherited the lead of the Championship with Mark Webber's fourth place meaning he jumped up into second place. Perhaps the biggest shock of the weekend was a first podium for Michael Schumacher since his return to the sport in 2010. Both his and Webber's strategy meant they were able to come through the field and claim major points just like Alonso did as all three started outside the top 10.

Fernando Alonso's victory marks a dramatic turnaround in fortunes for Ferrari as he stormed to victory in a car which was barely faster than the midfield cars at the start of the season, but now the car is as consistently fast as the Lotuses and the McLarens, certainly in race trim anyway but not quite up to the level of the Red Bulls as shown in the early race but we've still yet to see a straight fight between Alonso and Vettel which would provide a true reflection of where the teams are at.

Once again Lotus had the pace for a victory and had Grosjean not have retired he could well have possibly claimed a maiden win for him and the team. Kimi Raikkonen spent most of the race stuck behind Hamilton which prevented him from having a shot at Alonso and by the time he got past there were just a few laps remaining and claimed a comfortable second place which he said underwhelmed him, although since when has he ever been anything but that!?

Looking ahead to the British Grand Prix the atmosphere will once again be fever pitch as McLaren could well be in their best position yet to compete for victory with the high speed corners suiting the MP4-27 and knowing the British summer it could well be a cool day which will suit the car even better and both Hamilton and Button will be fighting for the win. Jenson Button has had a horrid record at Silverstone with no podium finishes in the 12 years he has been driving in Formula One. Hamilton has a better record with podiums in 2007 and 2010 and a famous win in the wet in 2008 where he destroyed the competition.

I know that quite a few members from this site are going to the grand prix and I hope that you all have a great weekend, providing McLaren can nail down their pit stops there is a very good chance that a British driver could be at the top step of the podium, or who knows, if Lotus can finally find the sweetspot then perhaps an eighth winner can be on the cards!

For Galahad's brilliant circuit write up - http://cliptheapex.com/pages/silverstone-circuit/

It's an absolutely ridiculous rule! Dumbest thing they have come up with in a long time. It's unworkable and is counter to the art of racing.

Possible that it could have been a mutual agreement after discussion in the driver briefing. In this case, it would not necessarily be a written rule and this might go some way to explaining why the media were a bit lost with it.

Brundle mentioned it when one of the drivers came on the radio to ask if he could use DRS so he must have known that the rule had come into being....

As for Charlie's directive about the overtaking car it is a complete load of nonsense and completely unenforcible,

I haven't heard or read a verbatim quote but from what I have heard and read it seems to me that Charlie may be talking about something that was once a part of racing etiquette. It was an unwritten rule amongst drivers in a now bygone era that if a competitor "showed a wheel" the driver being overtaken would at the very least give enough space for the other driver to continue his attempt, thus minimising the risk of contact. This was in an age when wheel to wheel or car to car contact all too often ended in tragedy. Whether it can be written into a rulebook and enforced is questionable. However, I would be surprised if stewards do not already have it in the back of their minds when judging whether or not drivers have allowed sufficient space for each other in contact incidents.

The modern habit of "locking wheels" was something that drivers once tried to avoid since a wheel to wheel contact could (and still does) result in the launch of one of the cars. In those scenarios injuries were serious and death all too frequent as a result of the cars smashing into the ground upside down and bursting into flames. It seems that today, since these accidents seem to be survivable due to the safety cells in which drivers sit, there is little or no incentive for a driver to observe any kind of "race etiquette". It is therefore down to the individual just how much or how little etiquette they themselves bring to the track.

With the steadily increasing number of aggressive manouvres taking place in F1 it appears that Charlie and the FIA are running out of patience. It is a fact of life that if people do not behave in responsible ways then authorities will impose laws to make them behave and punish them if they don't. Reading some of the threads on motor sport forums it is also obvious that a lot of fans and supporters ran out of patience and understanding a long time ago, which is why they beat each other up over "your guy did that to my guy" so much of the time. So don't be surprised when yet again the FIA feel the need to legislate on something that was once common sense and a simple matter of self-preservation..

I just want the FOM feed. After watching Wimbledon i realized that I only care about the additional info that the guys in the pit lane can give. That's it, periods of commentator silence would be appreciated.

Our wally's in the US picked up on the "DRS disabled" message... and first wondered whether there was rain they hadn't spotted... but quickly Steve Matchett said it was the yellow flag for Perez stricken Sauber at the end of the DRS zone on the Wellington St...

What was particuarly annoying was watching Webber chew into Alonso's lead and we were treated to the Bruno, Hulk and Button train for about 4 laps... thankfully they got back onto the battle for the lead when the gap was just under 2 seconds... again, noted by Matchett as it was happening...but of course no control over the feed...

I remember the qually DRS call... but didn't remember seeing a call during the race like that...

I think that one radio call in qually could highlight the lack of trust at present... does LH not think that they will tell him the second they have confirmed that DRS is available to be used... sad state of affairs at Woking right now... hopefully they can get it together soon...

Wasn't a spectacular race, well it didn't compare to Valencia (and we say this every year :snigger:).

The rain that never comes, the past two seasons where we've been told that rain is a certain, it never really is, and it leaves us disappointed. Especially during this years Monaco Grand Prix.

Qualifying was entertaining enough, but how good would it have been for the race, if both Ferrari drivers where knocked out of Q2?

Mark Webbed-feet drove a controlled race, sat back and waited, played the long game, and it paid off. With the right strategy, he was always going to close on Alonso. Lost pole just by a mere 0.047s, who would have thought that he would be the second repeated winner this year? He's been consistent enough this year, and with those around him having problems, his and Alonso's consistency has certainly helped their championship cause, hence why they are 1 and 2 in the WDC.

At the start, it looked as if Alonso had the race won. On the prime tyre (which 95% of the time is the slower tyre), lapping faster than Webber in the first stint. But as the race panned out, it wasn't to be, as the last stint on the option tyre proved costly, while those around him got the option tyre out of the way first after watching Grosjean's laptimes after his first lap pitstop. Second was better result than he should have got, could have been 5th if Schumacher didn't hold up Massa, Vettel and Raikkonen in the first stint, and the second stint for Raikkonen. It's just been that season for Alonso, where results will go his way, a bit like Vettel last year, although to more of an extent.

Vettel had a good start, but braking early into turn 2 is probably what cost him of getting ahead of Massa, instead he had duel with Raikkonen for 2 corners costing him time. Was stuck behind Schumacher and Massa, but Red Bull reacted quicker than the rest after seeing Grosjean's times on the harder tyres and pitted him early. Got him the jump on both drivers, after that, 3rd was all he probably could have achieved, another race of damage limitation for him.

Best result for Massa for a season and a half now. Could have been on the podium, infact, his pace was that good, he could have even been in contention for the win, that was, if he managed to get past Schumacher on lap 3 before the Copse corner, but Schumacher as always, had robust defending. Ferrari where slower to react to Vettel, costing him time, after that, 4th was the maximum he could manage, and managed to hold off a faster Kimi Raikkonen in the end. Hopefully he's getting back to his best, with Hockenheim round the corner, a track that he's good at, we may see him on the podium again.

Another horrible first lap for Kimi costing him to challenge for the podium or a win. Not a great get away, but took turn 2 very well, caught Vettel napping and got passed Maldonado, but great placement from Vettel and a lock up from Kimi ruined his exit into turn 3, lost his position to Vettel, then to Maldonado. Stuck behind Maldonado for several laps, and then pushed of the road, effectively put him on the back foot, was then behind the Schumacher queue, Lotus, despite Grosjean being on the harder tyre, where the slowest from the top 7 to react to switch to the primes, stuck behind Schumcher for the second stint. Showed his pace in the end once Schumacher was cleared, wasn't enough, made a mistake on the second last lap which probably cost him a 4th place finish, another non-perfect race for Lotus...when will they ever get it all together?

Grosjean was excellent, he drove an almighty race from the back of the field after he was forced to replace his nose early on. Although he's had a lot of contact this year, especially early on in races, this time it didn't look like his fault. Paul Di Resta was forced out wide by his team-mate who drove over Grosjean's front wing. His strategy was key, as he got the softer tyre phase out straightaway, he was able to attack from the get go, pulled a great overtake on Rosberg, and finished only 17s behind Webber, that's something special. But he's only got himself to blame, after beaching the car in Q2, he wouldnt have been in that position. But he's inexperienced, his time will come surely, definitely a hot prospect for the future.

Schumacher in 3rd looked ever so promising, but it wasn't to be, managed to keep a train of faster cars behind him for the first stint. The second stint, it was reported that his harder tyres where acting strangely, compared to the primes he put on in the last stint, in the last stint, he was lapping fairly well. Out-qualified Rosberg and out raced him, 7th was the best he was going to get, Hockenheim should favour the Mercedes. Slow corners, long straight, cold weather.

Hamilton's strategy was the wrong one, those that started on primes didn't gain anything, infact probably lost out. It could have been worse for Hamilton if Maldonado and Perez didn't collide, and then Kobayashi having the pitlane incident. I think McLaren certainly gambled on a wet setup for Hamilton, and Button the other way round judging by qualifying and the race. But even so the team has a lot of work to do. The wet practice did not help theirs and few other teams progress for upgrades.

I thought Hulkenberg had a good weekend, but it was just bad luck for him. 5 place grid drop, then 9th for most of the race, and how he survived on those option tyres for a long time is quite outstanding, but he wasn't going to last long, and lost two places on the last lap. Out-qualified di Resta, looked like the better driver out of the two the past two races. But luck hasn't went his way.

As for the Maldonado and Perez incident, I found Perez's comments bang out of order, I remember several people having a go at Hamilton and Vettel for calling other drivers "idiot" and "stupid". He's hot-headed, and I think di Montzemelo is right, he's too fiery to be in the Ferrari team just yet, he throws his toys out of the pram quite often, and is aggressive at times. Maldonado didn't mean to collect Perez, although it did look like it at the time, as he did the same to Raikkonen, it was a simple error.

As for Maldonado, I just get frustrated by the guy, he has potential, but he acts a fool.

The title race looks as if it's going to be between Alonso and both Red Bull drivers, that is if McLaren don't get their act together, and if Lotus continue having missed chances. Otherwise, we could see the above along with Hamilton and Raikkonen, maybe Grosjean, but he's a little too behind.

Great race summary Slyboogy. :thumbsup:
The only thing I might disagree on is the relative order of Raikkonen & Grosjean. I know Kimi is ahead in the points at the moment, but somehow I have the feeling that Romain is the more promising. Anyway, it's a contest I'll be watching with interest for the remainder of the season.

Back
Top Bottom