Grand Prix 2012 Brazilian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

So it all comes down to the final race. The prancing horse versus the charging bull. The passionate Catalan versus the efficient German. Red versus Blue. Enough of the clichés, Vettel has a 13 point lead over Alonso going in to the race between the lakes so only has to finish in front of the Spaniard to claim his third title in a row. All the pressure will be on Ferrari and Alonso to give the Spaniard his third title and they probably need something to go wrong at Red Bull to stand any chance of winning, if their pace in the USA was anything to go by.

After his victory in the USA Lewis Hamilton will be hoping to leave McLaren on a high note. Lotus, surely, would love a second victory in 2012 but as fast as the car is it can't compete with the top 3 teams. Felipe Massa is starting to regain some of his old form and will, without doubt, be required to ride shotgun to Alonso. Mark Webber will be looking to win again at Interlagos but I doubt Vettel will suffer similar "brake" problems as he had last year.

The constructors championship is all sown up with Red Bull champions again. McLaren could steal 2nd place from Ferrari but a stronger performance from Jenson Button is needed in Brazil. Last year he was 3rd, two McLaren men in the top 4 could win them a few extra millions from FOM.

The final factor to build in is the weather. Brazil is notorious for changeable weather conditions and a sprinkling of rain could turn things Alonso's way. So tune next Sunday for the final event of 2012, but before then feel free to express your opinions below and don't forget to check out the circuit write up.

http://cliptheapex.com/pages/autodromo-jose-carlos-pace-interlagos/

Ferrari did nothing wrong because it was within the rules for them to exploit...it is very difficult to prove deliberate sabotage by your own employers although Alonso certainly would have made such accusation if it was the other way round.....

If Red Bull were allow to set up and change everything on Vettel's car by forcing him to start in the pitlane in the previous race then they cannot complain
-------------------------

Interestlingly there is a photo of Hamilton and Alonso on twitter suggesting support Alonso.....Hamilton will not forget Vettel almost cost him the world title by passing him a few laps to go in BRazil 2008 so time to return the favour to Seb

I'm sure both Ferrari & Red Bull will do their utmost to use their "supporting driver" & as much of the rules as they can bend as they deem fit. Both have track records in such things (FIFTY, wing swaps, changing setups without penalty)...the fun bit will be to see whether Felipe or Mark make a more solid 'road block' :D
As for Lewis helping out Fernando. He's too much of a racer to hand over the lead but I think if he was having a mare of a race he may just well be less awkward for Alonso to pass than Seb. As someone said Seb's actions in 2008 nearly cost him the championship, these things are remembered (having said that Alonso's actions probably cost him the WDC in '07 too).
What it should be is a lot of fun to watch for the fence sitters.

The attitude of the drivers around the top half of the field, given the right circumstances, be important:

(Sample possibilities:)
"Man, if Fernando is a frickin' triple champion, I'll have beaten a triple champion, making me a frickin' legend!"
"Come on, Pastor, don't crash, don't crash"
"I don't give a shit"

I was thinking btw, what if the weather is gonna be a gamble.
Say Red Bull thinks it's gonna rain, and Ferrari thinks it's gonna be dry.
As Vettel's only goal is to finish ahead of Alonso (or just behind, but he'll want to beat him), I reckon that even if their gut tells them otherwise, they will choose to follow Alonso's set-up.
Best-case scenario, you're both on the good set-up and fight for the race win.
Worst-case scenario, everyone on a wet set-up (or vice versa) will be faster, but they will be faster than both Vettel and Alonso, so there's no loss for the championship.

You don't want to end up risking having the wrong set-up which leaves you in the back of the field, while Alonso's gamble paid off and he runs off with the race.

Same with in-race tactics, as in, when to switch to other tires.

Well, most people in the paddock usually have at least a good idea of what set-up someone's on. But maybe the point about following suit with tires is probably more valid.

I'm not sure. If its dry, Red Bull could probably beat Ferrari just simply running their own race, whereas if its wet, Red Bull have to be careful of matching Ferrari and finding that Ferrari's tactics/wet speed is just better than theirs and thus leaving Vettel stranded in midfield while Alonso is powering away.

The lesson of 2010 is that you must treat it like any other race and try to get the best result, at least until we get to the end.

As long as Red Bull don't fake some kind of gearbox problem to make Vettel look like superman and then have him say I know how Senna felt now and as long as Alonso wins the championship then I don't care about any other trivialities....:)

Hamilton will not forget Vettel almost cost him the world title by passing him a few laps to go in BRazil 2008 so time to return the favour to Seb

I doubt this is true and if it is true and he does still have a grudge over Vettel almost costing him the world title then that is absolutely pathetic. I seriously doubt the accuracy of your statement though unless you can come up with a source...

Oh no!
stock-photo-3414598-can-of-worms.jpg

It is difficult to fathom how Alonso can win this bar Vettel having a problem, it is now somewhat customary to expect RBR to show up on Friday and be fast right through to race weekend, on the other side Ferrari is a bit of an unknown whatever they tested on Alonso's car at COTA didn't work out and considering the car is not better than the one at Hungary is a bit of a concern here. It is Brazil though and funny stuff happens.

http://www.inautonews.com/alonso-will-figh...da#.UKwbjNi5Us0

But there are rumblings in the paddock that, although acknowledging Vettel’s advantage, most people in F1 would prefer if Alonso triumphs.
“I don’t think so,” Force India’s Nico Hulkenberg told Sport1. “Sebastian is very popular.”
“I think it’s just the psychological games that are always there in a championship fight. Red Bull is a good team with a good driver and a good crew.”

Who ever wins the Championship on Sunday will have deserved to win as they have scored more points than the other 23 drivers.on the grid were able to get. All we can hope for is that it is a good clean battle for the Championship and that there is no controversy that has happened in the past, that will effect the outcome of the Championship. May the best man win.

Back
Top Bottom