Grand Prix 2011 Chinese Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

So on to China, with the teams only having a few days rest after Malaysia. Last year Red Bull dominated qualifying with Christian Horner describing Vettel’s pole lap as “phenomenal”.

Come the race, however, changeable weather caught out both the Red Bull drivers and Lewis Hamilton as they pitted early expecting heavy rain. This left Jenson Button, who chose not to go in for inters, in the lead and he, along with Nico Rosberg and Robert Kubica who also stayed out on slicks, showed that it’s all about being on the right tyres at the right time.

The race should also be remembered for what looked like an astonishing start from Fernando Alonso. I watched it in an Italian hotel and the crowd literally went wild, only for the assembled throng to mope to the bar a few minutes later as Alonso was given a drive through penalty for jumping the start.

Button’s more mature tyre strategy won him the race, although he was under pressure late on from Hamilton, and the team scored their first 1-2 since Monza 2007 with Rosberg taking third for Mercedes.

2011 has been a Red Bull Fest, or perhaps more accurately a Vettel Fest, so far with the young German taking pole and race wins in the first two Grands Prix whilst his team mate has struggled with various car problems and, might I postulate, some psychological scarring from last season. McLaren are much closer than pre-season testing indicated they would be and Renault have surprised everyone with 3rd spot at both races and an ability to get off the start line reminiscent of the Benetton launch control system.

Ferrari are nowhere near where they feel they should and there will be many tired faces in their pit garage as managers and engineers flit backwards and forwards between Europe and the Far East trying to understand what is going on. Similarly Mercedes are still not even close to where they expect to be whilst Sauber and Force India are looking good for minor placings, dicing with the Toro Rosso’s.

Toward the back, Williams (it hurts me to say) look to have taken 1 step forward and 2 back with their new car and are now competing with Team Lotus to be the best of the worst. Virgin appear not to have moved any further forward compared to 2010 and HRT, despite no pre-season testing, look to have a car which, once a bit more sorted, might get ahead of them. I suppose the question there is can they sort the car?

Oh, I nearly forgot tyres. 55 pit stops in Malaysia, more marbles than a game of KerPlunk and rubber wearing out faster than Russell Brand’s bed sheets. No sign of the wet tyres yet, will Shanghai throw us a surprise (sorry, had to slip that in)

For Galahad's excellent circuit write-up, see here: http://cliptheapex.com/pages/shanghai-international-circuit/

Button is talking McLaren up for China: "Jenson Button believes McLaren will be even closer to pace-setters Red Bull Racing in China this weekend - and thinks it could be on course for a 'fun' race if it can get a clean start against Sebastian Vettel."

I presume he means during the race as you can't get much closer than a tenth in qualifying.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90692

Unless they're aiming to be +0.001s!

Well I'm hoping for a big leap forward from Williams. It's sad to see them actually going backwards year on year, and I honestly thought that this year they might be in the hunt for podiums. The frustrating thing is that everything I read coming out of Grove suggests that they don't even know where it is that they are falling down. Fingers crossed that Rubens at least makes Q3 this time!

Not gonna post a lot of old China Highlights, so I figure I'll just put these two videos here. It's all the overtakes from the first Chinese GP and from last year's chaotic affair.

2004 Overtakes

2010 Overtakes

Well I'm hoping for a big leap forward from Williams. It's sad to see them actually going backwards year on year, and I honestly thought that this year they might be in the hunt for podiums. The frustrating thing is that everything I read coming out of Grove suggests that they don't even know where it is that they are falling down. Fingers crossed that Rubens at least makes Q3 this time!

I to am surprised by lack of William pace in the 1st 2 races, though I believe the 2nd was compromised through circumstances, think we'll see an improvement from them in China. Cause you know the fear of teams around Williams is you don 't want to be the 1st team that either of the 3 new teams beat outright in qualifying/race do they!

I think Mclaren might be able to grab pole this weekend. With that long straight, Mclaren might have the edge due to their Mercedes engine and lower downforce. My big hope for this weekend is the gap to Vettel closing. An engine failure would be fine.

I don't think Vettel is invulnerable this week-end. The pattern we have seen so far is that both McLaren and especially Ferrari are significacantly more competitive in race trim than they are in qualifying, and part of the reason Vettel has had a free run is that hs pursuers have been somewhat tripping over themselves... of course it woud help Ferrari's cause if FA managed a half-decent start every now and then...

Thundery showers for Friday Practice, showery Saturday, Sunday mainly sunny with a small chance of rain.

I'd have to agree with Incubus.

Based on what we saw last weekend, Vettel/Red Bull have the upper hand in qualifying and the race, whereas McLaren and Ferrari have to compromise their approach.

If Red Bull continue to develop at more or less the same pace as the others, as they did last season, Vettel won't be caught.

I'd have to agree with Incubus.

Based on what we saw last weekend, Vettel/Red Bull have the upped hand in qualifying and the race, whereas McLaren and Ferrari have to compromise their approach.

If Red Bull continue to develop at more or less the same pace as the others, as they did last season, Vettel won't be caught.

Ferrari, without a doubt, have better race pace. I don't think this is because they are compromising their qualifying potential though, it's simply because they can't get the single lap pace out of it, or get the tyres working over a single lap at the moment.

I would say McLaren were either slower or matching their qualifying pace in the race at Malaysia. Remember they were only a tenth off Red Bull in qualifying.

I did however read that Red Bull compromised their qualifying pace slightly in Malaysia to ensure their tyres lasted longer in the race. This could explain why they seemed further away from McLaren in the race and possibly why they weren't as far ahead of McLaren in qualifying.

All of last season and at the start of this, I think there is a trend where the Red Bull never seems to have the same advantage in the race as it does in qualifying. I think this is simply because their car is more supreme in qualifying than it is in race mode, and this is probably also due to their flexible-wing, which I imagine has a bigger impact on one lap pace.

I did however read that Red Bull compromised their qualifying pace slightly in Malaysia to ensure their tyres lasted longer in the race. This could explain why they seemed further away from McLaren in the race and possibly why they weren't as far ahead of McLaren in qualifying.
Doh! <facepalm>
I knew there was something else I meant to add.

Yes, I also read that which would suggest that Red Bull have a decent cushion over the rest of the field still.

I think the difference in Qualifying and race pace is simply due to the fact that during Qualifying the cars are running very light on fuel, and as the cars are set up for the race, the ride height is slighty higher than when there's 150Kg of fuel on board.

Red Bull's flexy-wing is able to counteract this to an extent, which is why it has a bigger effect during Qualifying.

Well, that's my theory anyway.

It is probably speculation.

Yes, I also read that which would suggest that Red Bull have a decent cushion over the rest of the field still.

Until they can qualify or finish one and two, I refuse to claim they've got a decent cushion on the rest of the field.

Just seen where the DRS zone is going to be for the weekend. It seems a little long to me? 700m worked perfectly at Malaysia because drivers had a chance to get up to speed before activating it. On China's long back straight, they should be well up to speed when activating it. The zone is 902m before the turn.

Enough almost for an overtake and the other person to reovertake. I wonder how many times we are going to see people outbreak themselves going into the corner

I've been trying to work out why and how McLaren were so much closer to Red Bull in qualifying at Malaysia than they were in Australia, when they supposedly used next to no upgrades (as those they brought, didn't work). I have come up with the following potential reasons:-

- Malaysia, although having some high speed corners, also has two huge straights, which would naturally hurt Red Bull more than McLaren. Red Bull cannot seem to run their "flexible-wing" to its true potential at tracks with long straights (or low - medium downforce). I think Hungary was a great example last year, as it had no straights and their one lap pace was staggering.

- McLaren, having adobted a drastically different car since the first race, most likely have more time to find in set up and thus this could have closed the gap too.

- McLaren have also documented that they didn't have to compromise performance to meet the cooling requirements for the super hot temperatures in Malaysia, whereas, it is quite possible, that Red Bull did have to. (incidentally, this should be a benefit for McLaren though at several other venues this year, as they clearly have a very good cooling solution).

- Maybe the Red Bull works its tyres better relatively in colder conditions, as seen in Melbourne, or McLaren found more performance due to the hot temperatures.

- Possible, Red Bull had to remove a certain part or compromise their car due to scrutineering. Several times last year, Red Bull had to alter their diffuser or other components on their car and it only came out in the press, several weeks later. They go about all their work very quitely and so you never really know what's going on with them or when they have a new update and what it might be.

Ok, so, as can be seen, there are at least 5 valid reasons as to why the gap between McLaren and Red Bull closed at Malaysia. So to try and work out what the gap should be in China, we can look at which if them (if any) will reverse for this race. The two that could change back to something similar to Melbourne, with a much larger gap in qualifying, are both related to temperature. If Red Bull had to compromise their performance to add in sufficient cooling solutions, then they'll have that performance back in China and additionally, if they work their tyres better in cooler conditions, or McLaren work theirs better in hotter conditions, then the gap would also widen again because of this. This is only assuming though that the gap was significantly shortened because of these 2 factors and not those others I mentioned.

All in all, it is impossible to tell, but I guess we will maybe have some answers after qualifying in China, because if the gap is still small, or McLaren have even jumped ahead, then it'll mean that the temperatures did or should I say, do not have a big emphasis on the gap between them and it is more than McLaren are still finding a lot of time in setup for their car and tracks like Malaysia and China with big long straights are hurting Red Bull.

What is finally interesting to look at is the time differences between Red Bulls others rivals and themselves between Australia and Malaysia:-

Leading driver gap to Red Bull:-
McLaren - (Australia: 0.8 sec) (Malaysia: 0.1 sec)
Ferrari - (Australia: 1.4 sec) (Malaysia: 1 sec)
Renault - (Australia: 1.6 sec) (Malaysia: 1.2 sec)
Mercedes - (Australia: 1.9 sec) (Malaysia: 1.9 sec)

What is interesting, is that if you remember in Australia, Hamilton lost about 2 tenths due to his KERS packing up half way round that final lap in Q3. Without that, he would have been 0.6 secs, which would then have pretty much matched up with the 0.4 - 0.5 sec that Ferrari and Renault also gained on Red Bull at Malaysia. Inititally this would suggest Red Bull did indeed come backwards, however, it is worth noting that Ferrari said they performed better in the hotter conditions and were not looking forward to go back to the colder China. Then Renault noted that they had a fairly big update package at Malaysia, so this could explain both of their relative gains. Mercedes stayed where they were, so maybe McLaren did just find time in set up, which is what Jenson especially, keeps on saying.

All in all, if McLaren get their upgrades working this weekend and learn a little more about the optimum setup of their car, then I can see them possibly pipping Red Bull to pole!

I saw this posted elsewhere and I got a chuckle out of it. Perhaps some of you will too.

If you've got Queen's "Bicycle Race" on mp3, now might be a good time to play it.

ALGatCHI11.jpg
freddie-mercury2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom