Grand Prix 2011 Canadian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!

Thought this might be useful if you wanted to sing along to the Canadian National Anthem before the start of the race.

Anyway, on to the Grand Prix, after all that’s what we’re here for. Last year Bridgestone provided tyres, which didn’t like the surface at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve too much, and the powers that be in F1 thought “ah, ha here’s an idea to spice up the racing. Why don’t we ask those blokes at Pirelli if they can make sets of boots for F1 cars that fall apart on the warm up lap”, and they did.

In 2010 Hamilton put his car on pole (you may recall him pushing his car back to the pits, so light was it on fuel) and then went on to win an exciting race with teammate Jenson Button standing on the 2nd step.

So what for Canada 2011? Red Bull, at least car No.1, has been a tad difficult to beat but McLaren and Ferrari are getting closer during the race. With 5 wins out of 6 races Vettel has a healthy lead in the Championship and some bookmakers are already paying out on the title being his. Vettel was 3rd on the grid last year, behind teammate Webber, and finished 4th with unspecified gearbox problems, still ahead of Webber who had led for many laps but got caught out by the high tyre wear rate.

Fernando Alonso was 3rd last time out in Canada after getting mugged by a hard charging Jenson Button. Mercedes had a mixed race, Rosberg was “best of the rest” behind the McLaren’s, Alonso’s Ferrari and the Red Bull’s whilst Michael Schumacher treated the race like a destruction derby, straight lining chicanes and bouncing off other cars with gay abandon. What of Felipe Massa I hear you ask; well, he was one of Schumacher’s victims and lost time pitting for a new nose cone.

This is very nearly the last Hurrah for the exhaust blown diffuser and we have two, yes 2, DRS zones. So expect cars breezing past another before and after the pits, when they’re not in their getting new tyres of course.

Will it be another Red Bull walk over or can the McLaren’s and Ferrari’s tame the charging Bull? How will the Pirelli tyres hold up dusty and bumpy Ille Notre-Dame Circuit? Will it rain? Who will win? Can one of the minor teams struggle up into the points? I don’t know but I get the feeling there will be lots of speculation.

And we have our own track side reporter this year - take a bow Ray in Toronto and make sure you post some good photos

For Galahad’s excellent circuit write up, track history and all the stats a boy or girl could want click here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/circuit-gilles-villeneuve/

Renault are not really as bad as led on...similarly with Ferrari, it is just that Ferrari have greater expectations, converse Renault are seen in context of Force India, Sauber and the like, though I think Renault are right up with Mercedes Petronas and to an extent Ferrari.

Nobody ever mentioned Renault winning, just being a dark horse...perhaps they can surprise people with both cars finishing in good points positions.

It wouldn't be a surprise if the R31s finished 7th and 8th subject to the McLarens, Ferraris and RBRs having a normal Grand Prix. If any or some of the first 6 cars have issues, then Petrov/Heidfeld should put themselves in postion to take advantage.

Sauber could be a problem for them and Mercedes could be as well as long as Ross Brawn and company have figured out their Super-Soft issues.

Renault's main problem isn't the car...it's the absence of a pure Ace driving it.

It wouldn't be a surprise if the R31s finished 7th and 8th subject to the McLarens, Ferraris and RBRs having a normal Grand Prix. If any or some of the first 6 cars have issues, then Petrov/Heidfeld should put themselves in postion to take advantage.

Sauber could be a problem for them and Mercedes could be as well as long as Ross Brawn and company have figured out their Super-Soft issues.

At this point anything can happen with Massa and Webber, Mercedes don't really tickle me with excitement, I agree on Sauber doing something and I also really think that Williams are there or there about, that said I do agree you may expect the 3 major teams to hog the top 6, but at the end of the day there are plenty of surprises.

I will say that I concur that 6-7th is the likely but I just have a tingle in my gut that they will perhaps break top 5

Both Petrov and Heidfeld have a third place this season.I never said that they would win.
But they could well be a factor in not only the race regarding pitstops, but also for to upper midfield positions.

Renault have two podiums but, since then, McLaren have brought upgrade-upon-upgrade and now have race-winning pace. In addition and also since those R31 podiums, Ferrari have made adjustments to their wind tunnel calibration issues and they're now stronger, especially on the two softer compound Pirellis. Ferrari are in with a real chance of victory in Canada given that Pirelli aren't taking Hards to Montreal. Renault have been out-developed by McLaren and Ferrari since their fly-away podiums. Still, good luck to them...it'll be nice to see a black and gold 'Lotus Renault' circulating around Montreal. I have a huge blown up photo of Ayrton Senna in the 1986 Lotus-Renault at the Gilles Villeneuve hairpin...so it'll bring back memories. Cheers :)

OK So what.I never said that they would win.But they could be major factor during pitstops as they are fast enough to cause problems to the top runners if they do get ahead of them during a pit stop.

Ok. Renault are 'Dark Horses'. :) If R31s do get ahead on pit stops, it won't be like Monaco. Not only is it A LOT easier to get by in Montreal in any given year anyway, but this year there will be two DRS zones in play. Much easier passing opportunities than anywhere else in YEARS! I don't want to change anyone's mind. I just want to add to the debate and the thinking. My money says McLaren, Ferrari and RBR in that order. If Renault had an Ace like a perfectly healthy Kubica, then that would be a different story...but do you really think Petrov and Heidfeld are bonafide Number 1s? Its an honest question. Cheers! :)

Ok. Renault are 'Dark Horses'. :) If R31s do get ahead on pit stops, it won't be like Monaco. Not only is it A LOT easier to get by in Montreal in any given year anyway, but this year there will be two DRS zones in play. Much easier passing opportunities than anywhere else in YEARS! I don't want to change anyone's mind. I just want to add to the debate and the thinking. My money says McLaren, Ferrari and RBR in that order. If Renault had an Ace like a perfectly healthy Kubica, then that would be a different story...but do you really think Petrov and Heidfeld are bonafide Number 1s? Its an honest question. Cheers! :)

1] No grovelling you deserved to be e-whipped:spank:

2] Yeah Monaco is a rich mans show pony event and not compelling, look forward to high speed passes and duelling into braking zones.

3] Well Renault have gotton onto the podium twice, but have gone backwards, that said it is just a feeling.

If McLaren do not win here (or at least beat Vettel) they may as well give the championship to Red Bull now

I am neither your ally, nor your enemy, I am just a mere neutral watching the action 8-)

I really do wonder how Mercedes will run here, same with Renault, both of these teams have shown a lot of inconsistency.

Hopefully for us, they will be battling with the top 3 :thumbsup:

(Hope that moose gets a point or two :cheer:)

CTA.jpg

CTA II.jpg

If McLaren do not win here (or at least beat Vettel) they may as well give the championship to Red Bull now

Yes, in fact not only do McLaren need to win, but they need Hamilton to lead a 1-2 ahead of, preferably, both Ferraris so that Hamilton cuts into Vettel's points lead big time.

As long as Hamilton's winning in Canada, he'll be be cheering for the Ferraris to beat Vettel. If all of them finish, Hamilton's realistic dream result from a WDC perspective would be Massa 2nd, Button 3rd, Alonso 4th, Webber 5th.

Judging by the past years and the stats that TBY has put up, this track does seem to be a McLaren track, I for one will be quite baffled if they don't run well here...

I think the naturally stiffer front end on the Mclaren really helps in the very heavy braking zones at Montreal, combine this with the normally superior Mercedes engine and they've potentially got a big advantage over the Red Bulls.

I think the naturally stiffer front end on the Mclaren really helps in the very heavy braking zones at Montreal, combine this with the normally superior Mercedes engine and they've potentially got a big advantage over the Red Bulls.

I think a lot concur with that school of reasoning, that said Red Bull have played spoil sport all season

Back
Top Bottom