• Bruno Senna

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Heikki Kovalainen

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
In CaT's absence (presumably in a cider induced coma somewhere celebrating his birthday) I thought I would run the driver of the day thread. You have the option to change your vote in case someone puts forward such a persuasive argument you decide to change your mind

A tricky one this.

I would say 3 drivers didn't really put a foot wrong all weekend and they were Mark Webber, Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso (well apart from his pit lane incident which could be mostly attributed to the team releasing him at the wrong time).

Hmmm :thinking:

There were one or two notable improvements this weekend and it's perhaps the toughest call yet.

On the balance of it, I've gone for Webber. His time in Qualifying was one of those rare "wow" moments when he became the only driver to go sub 1.20 and during the race he didn't put a foot wrong. He couldn't have asked for a better weekend or a better way to remind the team that he can still do a job.

Other contenders who deserve a nod were Rubens for coming back so well from a dreadful qualifying, Alonso for another strong performance and perhaps one that the car didn't deserve, Hamilton for his pace including setting the fastest lap of the race and Schumacher who managed his strongest performance yet and recover from his rubbish showing in China.

P.S. Thanks for sticking the threads up FB. :thumbsup: I'm on my hols for then next couple of weeks so I'll need a stand in for Monaco as well.
;)

Having revued the race lap charts and lap time analysis, one thing stuck out, Sebastian Vettel and Lewis Hamilton's race pace was identical. From the very start Sebastian's Red Bull had no advantage over the McLaren of Lewis Hamilton. Which begs the question where did the one second lap advantage from qualifying go? The answer my friend is blowing in the wind!

Mark Webber's Red Bull was half a second quicker in clean air whenever he had a mind to push.

So much as I would love to give Mark Webber the driver of the weekend award, particularly in light of his quali performance I really believe the Red Bull's aerodynamics is the star package this weekend.

Closely followed by a stella performance by Lewis Hamilton who's race pace far exceeded his car and who's quickwitted pitlane exit manuvre around that errant backmarker and resting of P2 from Sebastian were the highlights of the race.

A special mention for Michael Schumacher who's tenacity and precision in fending off Jenson Button lap after lap into turn one has to be commended. (Eddy Jordan was completely wrong in his assessment of the opportunities and balance of power in that battle)

Mark Webber, I think. He just dominated his highly rated team-mate as well as the rest of the field. Vettel wasn't significantly faster than Hamilton in the race - Webber was. So with hon. mentions to Hamilton and Schumacher, I'll go for Webber.

For me it has to be Webber looked strong all weekend, became the first winner from pole this year, seemed to be in the zone and producing fastest laps for fun for a long period of the race.

Other than those already mentioned Hamilton, Schumacher, Alonso & Barichello, for an outstanding Q2 performance Kobayashi deserves a mention but that was as good as it got unless joy was taken from lapping his team mate in the race and also Petrov, another solid finish in the race tying with Rubens for most places gained from grid and perhaps even more impressive a fastest lap just 0.004 secs behind his team mates fastest time. Alguersuari again had another promising race with some good moves off the start line but just blotted by his eventful attempt at lapping Chandhok.

Webber for me too. Pole, win, leading every lap; He had the best car but made the most of it and looked comfortable all weekend.

I have to vote for Webber. He did everything right and reaped the rewards.

I have to give honorable mention to Trulli and Glock. They livened up the proceedings with their lengthy battle, preventing boredom from rearing its ugly head.

I can't see beyond Webber on this one. Hamilton drove well but Webber was untouchable regardless of how good the car is and the "Wunderkind" didn't make the same car go too well did he?

Back
Top Bottom