Grand Prix 2010 German Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

We've now passed the mid point of the season and it certainly appears to be turning into a four horse race between the Red Bulls and the McLarens. Arriving in Hockenheim there are several questions between these two teams that need to be answered and it will be interesting come Friday morning to see how the weekend will play out.

The track suits cars that have excellent grip and balance between downforce and straight line speed. To that end you have to say that the Red Bulls are the best prepared cars to meet this challenge but how will the team be effected by the continued friction in the camp? McLaren's upgrades at Silverstone were almost a complete disaster and seriously effected their weekend. In the interim two week gap have their computers managed to sort out the blown diffuser or will they risk not using it and concede a small advantage to the RBRs?

Ferrari and Mercedes have to come good this weekend. Ferrari had another weekend they would want to forget in Silverstone. Despite the issues that Alonso had with penalties the car did show some signs of pace but once again his temperament was called into question while his team mate slips further into mediocrity. Will Massa slide further into the midfield or will he wake up? Rosberg keeps plugging away for Mercedes but the team still need to find a big improvement if it hopes to compete for wins by the end of the season. They have all the right ingredients but still can't seem to make a decent cake. As an all German team in owner and drivers there will be no hiding at Hockenheim.

The midfield has already been wonderfully summarised in TBY's post but it's fair to say that Williams, BMW Sauber and Force India will be fighting it out for the last points paying positions here. The improvement of both Williams and Sauber has been impressive in the last few races especially after both teams had an appalling start to their season. Obviously with both Hulkenburg and Sutil on home soil they will be looking to impress here. Due to the two different tyres being provided by Bridgestone this weekend Force India have deceided to maximise the time on track for their two regular drivers and therefore regular Friday test driver Paul Di Resta will be sitting this one out.

At the back end of the field I'm sorry to say that the three new teams will be left to scrap it out among themselves again since this track will not suit any of the new cars with their lack of downforce, mechanical grip and straight line speed. Lotus will be running Fauzy again on the Friday and I'm sure he will be praying for fewer mechanical issues than he had at Silverstone. Timo Glock is of course another driver who will be on home soil this weekend and keen to show what he can do. He split the two Loti in the time sheets over most of the Silverstone weekend and will be expected to do the same here. Much has already been written about HRTs new policy of driver swaps but Yamamoto didn't actually do that badly in Silverstone and it will be interesting given that he has now had some track time in the car to see how he compares with Senna's pace.

The two factors that will undoubtedly play the biggest roll in this weekends outcome are the weather and the tyres. All things being equal, I've got to go for a Vettel win but as Murry Walker used to say "Anything can happen in F1 and it usually does".

Re: 2010 German GP Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

jenov2003 said:
Sakari said:
OMG.. Alonso lying his pants off on the post race interview.. if there was any respect towards him.. now it's all gone. Big ups Felipe!

I think you will find ALL Ferrari employees lied through their teeth - including Massa!

The best was the Ferrari pitwall, did you guys and gals get a picture of that? It was like a total warzone out there, backs to each other, one even with his feet on the railing to make sure not to face anyone. How to make friends in one little decision.

bogaTYR said:
jenov2003 said:
Sakari said:
OMG.. Alonso lying his pants off on the post race interview.. if there was any respect towards him.. now it's all gone. Big ups Felipe!

I think you will find ALL Ferrari employees lied through their teeth - including Massa!

The best was the Ferrari pitwall, did you guys and gals get a picture of that? It was like a total warzone out there, backs to each other, one even with his feet on the railing to make sure not to face anyone. How to make friends in one little decision.

Actually, did you see the Red Bull guys on the pit wall?

I saw one clapping very, very slowly... ;)

Enja said:
Actually, did you see the Red Bull guys on the pit wall?

I saw one clapping very, very slowly... ;)

Probably applauding the fact that now it's another teams turn to go through the wringer over internal driver favouritism.

:D

Bah, paltry fine and refered to the FIA, the Stewards should have at least put Alonso back behind Massa.. >:( :givemestrength: :( :crazy: :bored:

Ferrari team and both drivers should be disqualified for this.

What astonishes me is that Alonso, a man who has accomplished so much, should get on the radio and signal to his team that it is ridiculous that he has to do a fair overtaking maneuvre to take the lead from his team mate.

If you can't pass fair and square then what does that say about you as a race driver? Perhaps next time we'll make it even easier for you Mr Alonso, and have Kimi drive your car wearing an Alonso mask. Then you can win from the comfort of your armchair while enjoying the race on TV!

Something that has just occurred to me.

We have to assume that Ferrari, Alonso and Massa all denied team orders had been implemented to the stewards, just as they did on TV and in the various press conferences.

However, as Ferrari have been found guilty of team orders, does that mean that they will also now be charged with lying to the stewards in the same way that McLaren and Hamilton were after the 2009 Australian GP?

In which case why haven't Alonso and Massa been DSQ'ed as Hamilton was?

Bro, for peeps sake, my day is ruined enough as it is! Dont ruin my evening entertainment as well will ya?

Next thing you know we will end up in the same mess we did before, waiting for weeks before we know what the result of a race was. Enough is enough..

Like most of you I have just watch the piece on Senna from Top Gear - all I can say is he raced and didn't give a stuff for anything other than himself winning - I applaud that because that validates my belief that it is all about the DRIVER. And that is why I watch!

Massa's and Alonso's lap times.

[Click image to view full size]

The little spike on Massa's line is lap 49 when Alonso managed to "overtake him due to a gearbox issue or something".

Attachments

• MasvAloLaps.png
    MasvAloLaps.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 103

Brogan said:
We have to assume that Ferrari, Alonso and Massa all denied team orders had been implemented to the stewards, just as they did on TV and in the various press conferences.

However, as Ferrari have been found guilty of team orders, does that mean that they will also now be charged with lying to the stewards in the same way that McLaren and Hamilton were after the 2009 Australian GP?

In which case why haven't Alonso and Massa been DSQ'ed as Hamilton was?

Right on!

I see that the WMSC will also be looking into article 151.c (any fraudulent act.........) funnt, last time that was wheeled out it lead to a multi million sum fine.

I have to ask what does it say about Massa (leaving the Alonso thing to one side). He can pout on the podium and at the post race press conference as much as he likes but if he had any self respect when Smedley came on with that now infamous message he should have just driven into the pits, got out and walked away.

Agreed, this is a very similar incident to what led to Hamilton being disqualified. I just don't think we will see that same punishment being dealt out though.

MajorDanby said:
Agreed, this is a very similar incident to what led to Hamilton being disqualified. I just don't think we will see that same punishment being dealt out though.

Funny that :givemestrength:

FB said:
when Smedley came on with that now infamous message he should have just driven into the pits, got out and walked away from his multi million pound contract perhaps never to get another seat in a Formula One team again.

Just thought I'd finish that sentence for you. ;)

[quote:9uhz9ofk]FB said: when Smedley came on with that now infamous message he should have just driven into the pits, got out and walked away from his multi million pound contract perhaps never to get another seat in a Formula One team again.

Just thought I'd finish that sentence for you. ;)[/quote:9uhz9ofk]

I don't often quote passages from the Bible but this seems appropriate for Felipe.

Mark 8:36

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

Great quote mate.

It's however the same answer to the question you asked a while back about Rubens in a similar situation. If it was that bad in 02 he should have just walked away.

Brogan said:
Massa's and Alonso's lap times.
[Click image to view full size]
The little spike on Massa's line is lap 49 when Alonso managed to "overtake him due to a gearbox issue or something".
Wow!

Brogan: I hereby call upon you to furnish all interested parties, up to and including but not wholly restricted to The World Motor Sports Council, with your independent research as potentially crucial evidence for the case against Alonso and the evidence regarding but not restricted to any and all of the statements he may or may not have made, subsequent to the events of The German Grand Prix on the 26th day of July 2010, and any members of his team similarly, up to and including Luca di Montezemolo if and where it be deemed necessary, subject to their investigation relative to events and statements relating to them thereafter.

The evidence is striking. If the WMSC doesn't disqualify Ferrari from this race then the sport may as well say they allow team orders and the role of 50% of the drivers isn't to win.

I would just like to thank Galahad for this comment in the overtaking statistics thread, it did make me smile.

What I have not included:
Lap 49 - 8 Alonso passed 7 Massa for 1st - appeared to allow Alonso past

Do we need an "Understatement of the Weekend" poll? LOL

Back
Top Bottom