Grand Prix 2010 German Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

We've now passed the mid point of the season and it certainly appears to be turning into a four horse race between the Red Bulls and the McLarens. Arriving in Hockenheim there are several questions between these two teams that need to be answered and it will be interesting come Friday morning to see how the weekend will play out.

The track suits cars that have excellent grip and balance between downforce and straight line speed. To that end you have to say that the Red Bulls are the best prepared cars to meet this challenge but how will the team be effected by the continued friction in the camp? McLaren's upgrades at Silverstone were almost a complete disaster and seriously effected their weekend. In the interim two week gap have their computers managed to sort out the blown diffuser or will they risk not using it and concede a small advantage to the RBRs?

Ferrari and Mercedes have to come good this weekend. Ferrari had another weekend they would want to forget in Silverstone. Despite the issues that Alonso had with penalties the car did show some signs of pace but once again his temperament was called into question while his team mate slips further into mediocrity. Will Massa slide further into the midfield or will he wake up? Rosberg keeps plugging away for Mercedes but the team still need to find a big improvement if it hopes to compete for wins by the end of the season. They have all the right ingredients but still can't seem to make a decent cake. As an all German team in owner and drivers there will be no hiding at Hockenheim.

The midfield has already been wonderfully summarised in TBY's post but it's fair to say that Williams, BMW Sauber and Force India will be fighting it out for the last points paying positions here. The improvement of both Williams and Sauber has been impressive in the last few races especially after both teams had an appalling start to their season. Obviously with both Hulkenburg and Sutil on home soil they will be looking to impress here. Due to the two different tyres being provided by Bridgestone this weekend Force India have deceided to maximise the time on track for their two regular drivers and therefore regular Friday test driver Paul Di Resta will be sitting this one out.

At the back end of the field I'm sorry to say that the three new teams will be left to scrap it out among themselves again since this track will not suit any of the new cars with their lack of downforce, mechanical grip and straight line speed. Lotus will be running Fauzy again on the Friday and I'm sure he will be praying for fewer mechanical issues than he had at Silverstone. Timo Glock is of course another driver who will be on home soil this weekend and keen to show what he can do. He split the two Loti in the time sheets over most of the Silverstone weekend and will be expected to do the same here. Much has already been written about HRTs new policy of driver swaps but Yamamoto didn't actually do that badly in Silverstone and it will be interesting given that he has now had some track time in the car to see how he compares with Senna's pace.

The two factors that will undoubtedly play the biggest roll in this weekends outcome are the weather and the tyres. All things being equal, I've got to go for a Vettel win but as Murry Walker used to say "Anything can happen in F1 and it usually does".

Re: 2010 German GP Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

I have a theory that Mercedes problems are compounded any time they have to run the super soft tyre, they seem to have struggled more than usual at races where that has been one of the compounds used but i could be wrong.

I noticed the same thing earlier in the season, saying that, I've not seen it as much in the last few races. Do we think that the 6 tenths that McLaren are lacking are mainly down to a non optimised EBL (with Ferrari having ran it in 3 weekends now), as well as the retarded exhaust system that now Ferrari are also running?

I think McLaren still have a very unbalanced car, suffering from very sudden changes in rear end grip, particularly on corner entry. Even before introducing their version of an EBD, they were struggling in this capacity, due to poorer levels of downforce than their main rivals. But the addition of the new floor is compounding the problem, due to its very sudden 'on-off' nature.

For this reason, it could be several races until they have fine tuned it sufficiently to catch up again, and Ferrari, along with probably the best over-all - the Red Bulls; are likely to maintain their current advantage, relative to the Woking team.

But if it's wet…

- In spite of McLaren's difficulties, theoretically compounded in wet conditions, I think that their drivers' wet weather skills will more than compensate, giving them ultimately greater parity and a closer battle.

chimera said:
Nice reading the topic, as always, guys. Reckon Button will stay in front of Hamilton? Personally I doubt it - I think Lewis might manage something on the first corner.

Just found this site, courtesy of someone mentioning it on Twitter. Loving the stats and discussion.

Hamilton might lead the finish standings 7-3 so far, but only twice has it gone against the grid positions, split 1-1 for who improved. Bookies overrate the gap between these two.

Hi zakazano, welcome to the site.

I have a feeling Jenson will get the better of Lewis tomorrow.
I also think that both of them will be well behind the Red Bulls and Ferraris.

It's going to be interesting to see what the race pace of each car is tomorrow.

Here's to a great race.

I don't think it is as bleak as the McLaren drivers have been making out in the papers. That McLaren always looks a fantastic car when it is packing 160kgs of fuel. Sure it is not ideal that they are so far back in qually but they do seem to be at least as good on Sunday. Fancy one silver car to be on the podium.

To me, the real telling part will be if and when the Ferraris and Red Bulls make a mistake. McLaren made plenty don't get me wrong but with the exception of the Jenson Monaco thing, the actual race craft of the team and drivers has been frankly impeccable all year with the big mistakes in practice or qually. Ferrari and Red Bull always seem to be on the verge of a dispute or tantrum and with the exception of Webber and Alonso at Malaysia, I don't think they are in good race craft form (if that is a thing).

My biggest disappointment has been the performance of the Force Indias', I was expecting them to be solid top 10.

Well done to the Williams, I don't know what it is they have done over the last 3 races but they have really improved dramatically and it is good to see them back closer to where they belong. I am finally starting to see the Hulk who was so impressive in GP2.

I will be watching the Mclaren pair off the line with a great deal of interest. This must be the first time since China that they have been right next to each other on the grid, and they are in a dangerous place just behind the leading four and just ahead of the charging midfield pack. Let's hope they can both get away cleanly and negotiate the first lap safely.

This is one of the times when I really miss the Sunday morning warm-up period. We know the RBs are quick in qualifying, and we believe the McLarens have a better race pace than their qualifying shows, but it's all somewhat unknown until the lights go out (additionally, we're not sure which Ferrari is going to be put on the grid, the one that set fastest lap at Silverstone, or the pudding from Turkey). Bring back that half-hour session, and you have a little extra anticipation for the race (or you know Vettel's going to wander off into the distance, and can make other plans...).

Shame on Ferrari for once again ruining a race.

That was as blatant as could be and it will be interesting to see whether the FIA think so too.

So once again Ferrari engage in blatant team orders, and Webber has "engine troubles" so he has to reduce his pace, which means that Vettel now is ahead of him in points and "entitled" to priority treatment again. Can Formula 1 ever manage to at least APPEAR to be honest competition?

OMG.. Alonso lying his pants off on the post race interview.. if there was any respect towards him.. now it's all gone. Big ups Felipe!

Ferrari have been fined $100,000 and referred to the WMSC for team orders and bringing the sport into disrepute.

Good.

The thing is that F1 is being sold as public entertainment.

When the public find that this is what they've taken home in their collective shopping bag, can Ernie really be surprised they want to return their goods as 'unfit for purpose' or 'past the sell-by date'?

siffert_fan said:
So once again Ferrari engage in blatant team orders, and Webber has "engine troubles" so he has to reduce his pace, which means that Vettel now is ahead of him in points and "entitled" to priority treatment again. Can Formula 1 ever manage to at least APPEAR to be honest competition?

I think your Red Bull point is well off. Firstly Webber and Vettel are even on points now, secondly Webbers engine troubles are irrelevant as the McLarens are so fast in a straight line, his chances of passing them were slim to nil.

So that is now 2 stolen wins for Alonso, can the WMSC DSQ Ferrari or just issue warnings etc.

I think the WMSC can do pretty much what they like, can't they?

In the past they have DSQ'ed drivers and constructors from individual races and championships.

I wonder if the fine will also be increased?

They should really hit the teams where it hurts... in the points. :spank:

Just when I was enjoying a peaceful afternoon in the sun with a Margarita Ferrari go and do that! Bunch of silly twats! You made me spoil one fine afternoon, now who is gonna pay me back for that? No punishment can be big enough, thank you very much.

Thats it, Lotus for the WDC this year! I had it with big teams.

OK, back to the pool. God this is tiring :)

Sakari said:
OMG.. Alonso lying his pants off on the post race interview.. if there was any respect towards him.. now it's all gone. Big ups Felipe!

I think you will find ALL Ferrari employees lied through their teeth - including Massa!

siffert_fan said:

I have to agree with BlackcountryBob; Webber and Vettel are now level on points, but Webber is actually ahead of Vettel in the standings due to his greater number of race wins. And the thought that his oil consumption was a fabrication by the team to try and manipulate their drivers' positions is, frankly, very far-fetched. Webber was stuck behind the two Mclarens anyway, and never looked like challenging them seriously, let alone getting on terms with his teammate.

But the thought of Mark frantically trying to brake harder and later at every corner for half the race, as instructed over the radio, in a vain attempt to shove non-existent oil through to an engine that didn't need it, does make me chuckle. ROFL

Back
Top Bottom