2000s.... So Far

McFerrari

Rookie
What do you think? It's been a fantastic 9 years in f1, we've witnessed Michael Schumacher at his very best, breaking every record imaginable, we saw the rise of Fernando Alonso, Lewis Hamilton's immense impact on the sport..... we've had a lot to contend with this decade and it ain't finished yet. Brawn GP and Jenson Button threaten to perform the greatest act of the decade so far. The Phoenix birds of f1 rising from the ashes and turning into something quite brilliant. If Brawn GP and Button can win the championships this year, it would cap off an incredible 10 years in formula one.

What has been your moments of the 00s so far? Races, farces... anything will do.

I'll give a run down of some of my stand-out good & bad moments in F1 for the noughties

• Barrichello winning at Hockenheim 2000 in an absolutely brilliantly exciting race that had all sorts of nutty stuff going on, most specifically the brilliance of Barrichello in winning on dry tyres on a half-wet circuit. And the emotion with the whole thing!
  • Hakkinen passing M. Schumacher at Spa 2000 was actually one of those overtakes that you just didn't see coming, and nor did Schumi! And it gives Ricardo Zonta a place in F1 mythology, which is actually quite nice...
  • [bg=black]It'd be remiss to ignore the deaths of two stewards at the 2000 Italian and 2001 Australian GPs.[/bg]
  • Something else which should have been avoided were the Ferrari red wigs at Malaysia 2000! Grow up!
  • The rise of JPM at Interlagos 2001, with the young Colombian passing Schumi around the outside was pretty spectacular, in that race a promising start for JPM was ended in the middle of the race with nowt to show for it - sums the guy's time in F1 up! Damn you Jos!
  • The USGP of 2001 was quite emotional with us saying goodbye to Murray Walker and with Mika Hakkinen's last win in F1
  • How about the only thing that happened in 2002, the startline crash at the Aussie GP - it allowed Mark Webber to take 5th on début for Minardi fending off Toyota's Mika Salo - Advance Australia Fair!
  • Of course there was football legend Péle messing up the flag at the 2002 Brazilian GP - what a farce!
  • [bg=red]I didn't like Ferrari staging the finishes of the 2002 Austrian and USGPs, personally.[/bg]
  • Schumi getting the title at Magny-Cours was an amazing moment - even if Kimi had to slip up for him to do it
  • I loved the refreshing change of 2003, with the McLaren MP4-17D coming good and dominating the first 2 races
  • And Brazil 2003, the rivers of Babylon race, Barrichello running out of fuel at home, the stewards picking the wrong winner!
  • Barrichello got his revenge with a brilliant drive at the equally chaotic British GP 2003, with that Irish nutter trying to kill someone; Cristiano da Matta led the race!
  • There was 'Nando's maiden win in Hungary; how great was it to see Schumi in 8th?
  • And I have to mention Trulli stopping Schumacher winning every race at Monaco... then again, Schumi didn't help himself!
  • We have to mention Michelin's complete balls-up at the 2005 USGP, although I thought Schu II was quite capable of driving in a wall himself. Then he was replaced by Zonta (two mentions...)
  • There was of course Raikkonen attempting to chase down Alonso in 2005 with his engine blowing all over the place and his team-mate getting to meet all the walls of Europe! Fastest car=nothing!
  • And the 2005 Japanese GP - Fisi charged down on the last lap, and 'Nando passing Schumi around 130R!
  • Schumi's lie to the stewards goes unpunished in Monte Carlo 2006...!
  • The 2006 Hungarian GP - Jenson the legend!
  • And 'Nando holding off Schumi in Turkey to give Felipe Massa his first win; Smedley-style!
  • The emergence of Hamilton in early 2007 was surprising - he went and matched the World Champion as a rookie!
  • Kubica's crash at Montreal together with Burti's crash in Belgium 2001 showed the modern safety of F1 and were the sickeningest incidents in F1 for the decande, excepting James Allen's reaction when Hamilton won the same race
  • The 2000s cannot be completed without a reference to Lord Justice Alonso presiding over the qualifying session for the Hungarian GP in 2007, he was in the wrong 'Nando, get on with it!
  • And unfortuanately, Ferrarientrappmentgate Spygate, that mess of Ferrari employees giving away data and McLaren getting punished for using it!
  • Can someone tell me why there is a gravel trap on the pit entry in Shanghai? It was enough to finish Lewis Hamilton's race in 2007, which was compounded by his car stopping at Interlagos...
  • Kubica's first win in Montreal came with a little assistance from the infamous red light... Lewis Hamilton has retired twice in F1, each in the pit-lane, from pole!
  • Hamilton's greatest hours at Silverstone and Hockenheim last year were fantastic to watch, as was Massa's revival in Hungary & Valencia; what a ding-dong title fight we had last year!
  • And who can forget Spagate?
  • Vettel's big moment at Monza; the latter half of 2008 was brilliant, Alonso came out of nowhere to win the next two races!
  • And of course Mr. Brundle's cry "Is that Glock?" has to go down with "They think its all over" for me - what a finish to a race and season
  • The order change for 2009, and Jenson Button's big revival - new regs, new look F1

Will be updated as 2009 progresses!

teabagyokel said:
I'll give a run down of some of my stand-out good & bad moments in F1 for the noughties

• Barrichello winning at Hockenheim 2000 in an absolutely brilliantly exciting race that had all sorts of nutty stuff going on, most specifically the brilliance of Barrichello in winning on dry tyres on a half-wet circuit. And the emotion with the whole thing!
  • Hakkinen passing M. Schumacher at Spa 2000 was actually one of those overtakes that you just didn't see coming, and nor did Schumi! And it gives Ricardo Zonta a place in F1 mythology, which is actually quite nice...
  • [bg=black]It'd be remiss to ignore the deaths of two stewards at the 2000 Italian and 2001 Australian GPs.[/bg]
  • Something else which should have been avoided were the Ferrari red wigs at Malaysia 2000! Grow up!
  • The rise of JPM at Interlagos 2001, with the young Colombian passing Schumi around the outside was pretty spectacular, in that race a promising start for JPM was ended in the middle of the race with nowt to show for it - sums the guy's time in F1 up! Damn you Jos!
  • The USGP of 2001 was quite emotional with us saying goodbye to Murray Walker and with Mika Hakkinen's last win in F1
  • How about the only thing that happened in 2002, the startline crash at the Aussie GP - it allowed Mark Webber to take 5th on début for Minardi fending off Toyota's Mika Salo - Advance Australia Fair!
  • Of course there was football legend Péle messing up the flag at the 2002 Brazilian GP - what a farce!
  • [bg=red]I didn't like Ferrari staging the finishes of the 2002 Austrian and USGPs, personally.[/bg]
  • I loved the refreshing change of 2003, with the McLaren MP4-17D coming good and dominating the first 2 races
  • And Brazil 2003, the rivers of Babylon race, Barrichello running out of fuel at home, the stewards picking the wrong winner!
  • Barrichello got his revenge with a brilliant drive at the equally chaotic British GP 2003, with that Irish nutter trying to kill someone; Cristiano da Matta led the race!
  • There was 'Nando's maiden win in Hungary; how great was it to see Schumi in 8th?
  • And I have to mention Trulli stopping Schumacher winning every race at Monaco... then again, Schumi didn't help himself!
  • We have to mention Michelin's complete balls-up at the 2005 USGP, although I thought Schu II was quite capable of driving in a wall himself. Then he was replaced by Zonta (two mentions...)
  • There was of course Raikkonen attempting to chase down Alonso in 2005 with his engine blowing all over the place and his team-mate getting to meet all the walls of Europe! Fastest car=nothing!
  • And the 2005 Japanese GP - Fisi charged down on the last lap, and 'Nando passing Schumi around 130R!
  • Schumi's lie to the stewards goes unpunished in Monte Carlo 2006...!
  • The 2006 Hungarian GP - Jenson the legend!
  • And 'Nando holding off Schumi in Turkey to give Felipe Massa his first win; Smedley-style!

TO BE COMPLETED...

I'm surprised you haven't got any Schumacher moments. What about Schumacher breaking the record for most wins at Belgium. For me that was pretty special as was him equalling and beating Fangio's 5 world titles, a feat no one ever thought would be beaten. Other than that, good list. Agree with US 2001. Even more emotional after it was the first major sporting event in the US after 9/11.

Back
Top Bottom