1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll Who will get the Williams 2nd seat?

Discussion in 'Formula One Discussion' started by Greenlantern101, Sep 15, 2017.

?
  1. Massa

21.1%
  2. Di Resta

21.1%
  3. Palmer

10.5%
  4. Kubica

26.3%
  5. Other

21.1%
  1. RasputinLives

RasputinLives I was never cool at school. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I have to come in on this. I'm really sorry but I'm not sure what you are talking about. Lynn had one year as test driver for Williams but has no connections to the team. The reason he is not in the seat has nothing to do with 'Stroll's money' but the fact he spent years in GP2 with very little success. He has now just signed for Virgin in Formula E though.

By the way. Just wondering. Rutherford who would you put in the second Williams seat?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Il_leone

Il_leone Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    RasputinLives That is what I meant unstuck for Lynn... his 2nd year in GP2 was very poor compared to Gasly who he beat on countback when they were teammates but Gasly went to Prema - okay the most dominant team and won the championship. Lynn had a very inconsistent season last year.

If he had actually been more consistent and being in the hunt for the championship he just might have been considered for the Williams seat.

Secondly he has only driven a few races in Formula E this season so he's not making enough cases to say he should be in F1

The fact that Lynn is not 25 years old pretty much rules him out of consideration for one seat at Williams if Stroll has locked other seat and Martini insist they need a driver over 25 years old then Lynn's chances of getting into F1 were pretty slim

4. Rutherford

Rutherford Points Scorer

I don't think it would to be fair. He's more or less a driver with one arm and most certainly would he be able to do more with two functioning arms. This will always be taken into consideration, when Kubicas performances arm judged.

Would Williams have a future if they sign Di Resta, surely Lawrence Stroll would have to through in some additional $ to make up for the points that aren't being scored by both drivers.

I've seen Sam Bird on here before. What about some like Robin Frijns or James Calado, two drivers that only ran out of money, but not talent in junior categories. Would you consider Oliver Rowland being a option for Williams? He's done very well in a less competitive car than the Prema and also fulfils Williams' age requirements.

He could also be an option, he's experienced too.

5. Rutherford

Rutherford Points Scorer

I'm sure Williams will find a suitable driver and that they'll make the right decision.

6. teabagyokel

teabagyokel #bringbackmaldo Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Ava.png

7. Il_leone

Il_leone Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    Well Massa wants a decision by the time they get to Brazil

The problem I see with the Stroll situation is Williams are being dictated too much then by Lawrence Stroll's terms . They might as well sell the team to him

Off course if Stroll improves massively next season and suddenly becomes the de facto No 1 then it would be worth the investment

Oliver Rowland is not 25 years old and is contracted to Renault who surely will see him as a replacement for either Sainz or Hulkenberg for 2019 no doubt if either don't do well or move on

8. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    I Don't think Rowland will get his shot in F1 now I'm afraid.

People keep saying Lawrence Stroll dictates to the Williams team which must be true because people say it. What has he dictated to them though? His money secures Lance, I get that. I know there was that thing where they pushed to get Lance the test time instead of Kubica so I know about that - but what else has been dictated to Williams? I'm not being passive aggressive with this question either I'm genuinely interested because if Williams decisions are not there own then it would change my view.

9. Rutherford

Rutherford Points Scorer

He turned 25 in August. I don't think he stands a chance at Renault as it's unlikely that either driver won't do well or even have the desire to move on. Where should they go and why should they leave a team that is striving to become a championship contender?

10. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    Would he be your choice for the 2nd seat at Williams Rutherford?

gethinceri likes this.
  11. Rutherford

Rutherford Points Scorer

I don't think he's in contention for the seat.

What sponsors do Di Resta and Kubica bring with them or do Williams not need money from their second driver?

12. teabagyokel

teabagyokel #bringbackmaldo Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    We will keep asking.

Rutherford

Who is your choice as Williams' second driver?

If you continue to not answer I believe that the esteemed members of the forum will draw their own conclusions.

gethinceri likes this.
  13. Il_leone

Il_leone Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    Rutherford
    Oliver Rowland is highly rated by Renault and I'd think he would be their reserve driver next season

He will get promoted if either Sainz or Hulk is not maintained. I think Red Bull have first options on Sainz should either one of their drivers go anyway. As well as Hulkenberg has done at Renault, he was Vasseur's man before he left so unless the team has changed tunes about him I can see he will be looking for other seats as well

I don't think Rowland is high on Williams lists especially if Renault were the ones who nurtured him as part of their development programme

14. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

15. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    Robert Kubica completes 'successful' Williams test at Silverstone

Kubica test successful! Not sure what that means but it sounds positive.

16. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    They look to be taking him very seriously as an option, let's see how he gets on in the car.

17. Greenlantern101

Greenlantern101 Super Hero And All Round Good Guy Contributor

Featured Threads:
    All 6 of my nipples are tingling.

gethinceri and cider_and_toast like this.
  18. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    There's one for the kids ;)

Greenlantern101 likes this.
  19. Il_leone

Il_leone Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    Anyone but Massa or Ericson please even Helmut Marko thinks Felipe ought to retire

20. Rutherford

Rutherford Points Scorer

Kubica completes ‘productive’ second test with Williams

Sounds promising, but that's it.

21. Il_leone

Il_leone Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    well there was a shot of him allegedly spinning on the main straight... it was in a 2014 car though not the physical taxing 2017 cars which the current regulations forbid testing on

It seems as though Kubica will get the nod and Di Resta will be reserve / back up driver and Massa will be sent to retirement

What if Di Resta proves to be significantly quicker tomorrow then?

Share This