The 2012 Season

Clear rule violation there mate and the gap that subsequently emerged between himself and Webber (who was initially very close behind) tells it all really. Why is his DRS open anyway? There was no car less than a second in front of him to benefit from activation unless he had been following another car closely prior to the footage above? Anyway I'm sure other drivers would've appreciated this level of leniency and common sense approach from the stewards in the past. We've seen others lose their points for apparently misleading stewards and if Ross Brawn's account of events is anything to go by, Mercedes should've gone home empty handed.

He had the DRS open, but he was not going any faster than Mark Webber behind him, as seen in the video. The DRS is a red herring, as Gary Anderson stated. No penalty is the right decision.

The gap before and after engaging DRS suggests the Mercedes carried greater speed through that part of the circuit, almost certainly aided by DRS. The stewards coveniently chose to compare lap times rather than relative speeds. There is also a safety implication of travelling through a yellow flag zone with DRS open even if the rules don't explicitly forbid this not to mention the absence of clarification as to exactly where ( single yellow or double waved yellow) Schumi reduced speed. Christian Horner has already mentioned that it's been clarified in several meetings that the use of DRS and KERS is not allowed under yellow flags hence the reason Webber did not engage his. This also formed part of the decision to hand Vettel a drive through penalty in Barcelona. So common sense prevailed and Schumi kept his podium but it shouldn't deflect from the fact that Charlie and his minions were once again guilty of double standards.

Why is his DRS open anyway?

I think Schuey was lapping a car

Indeed mjo. He gained DRS by crossing the detection line about a hundreth after the HRT.

schumi detection val12.jpg

And even then, there is only a couple of tenths in it. I wonder what the stewards were looking at then? Do they have more granular timing data? Maybe using the GPS? If they are using sector times, I'm not sure the right decision was reached. Although, if they are simply looking lap on lap,he was slower, albeit by a smidge.

That said, there were many drivers who were significantly faster than their previous time also, webber for one, who if I am reading it right was 8 10ths quicker than his previous lap.

Well according to the telemetry display that the BBC uses on their Onboard feed, Webber NEVER LIFTED through that zone while following Schumacher, so I would be shocked if Michael had.

Quite frankly, I believe they threw the data away. Their main consideration would have been, "Do we want to yank Schumacher off his first (comeback) Podium". That would have been a PR nightmare for F1 and they didn't want to ruin that story.

Did they not do something similar in 2010? I think a 5 second penalty to quite a few runners, which didn't change any results? There is a precedent if so. A penalty to acknowledge a breach?

I don't know anymore :dunno:

HammydiRestarules If the DRS zone before the yellow flag zone, drivers will activate and will probably forget to deactivate it when they get to the yellow flag zone. However, when you see a yellow flag, you automatically lift off, but you might not deactivate the DRS as you could be unaware you have it open, and your main priority is to lift.

Back
Top Bottom