The 2011 cars

Are you suggesting that, much like one of the effects of the f-duct but in reverse, if you have more air arriving at the wing in the first place, you can reduce the angle to achieve the same downforce, and therefore reduce drag....

I think that's what they are trying to do. Hopefully they have their calculations right and they channel some of that wasted airflow.

Thanks Sobriety.

I pasted a couple straight in...

Images courtesy of F1Fanatic.co.uk

mcl26_3.jpg

mcl26_12.jpg

Those Mclaren sidepods are possibly the sexiest looking innovation on an F1 car since the raised-nose Tyrrell - the 018 wasn't it? I do like it when you can actually see a visual difference between the cars... double diffusers and F-ducts are all very well but if you need to get on all fours and wave a microscope about to spot the differences I'm just not interested....
sleeping.gif

I think the new Mclaren looks superb.
thumbsup.gif

It seems across all of the teams that the drive for the 2011 car has been to increase and smooth the flow to the rear wing as much as possible. I guess, apart from Renault, the driver to claw back the loss of double diffuser generated downforce appears to be centred on achieving the perfect airflow over the car rather than concentrating all efforts on the air flow under it.

Nothing from Scarbs F1 Blog on the New McLaren yet, but he'll have something to say in the next 24hrs or so.

The latest interest on there is of the Ferrari and RBR solutions to exhaust gas energy use.

Some fantastic innovation on the McLaren car. Let's hope it is as dominant as the Brawn car 2 years ago.

Has anyone spotted where the exhaust pipe is? I can't find it! :embarrassed:

I should have watched the live unveiling shouldn't I? :snacks:

I don't think it actually has proper exhausts yet. Seriously, i think they are undecided on how they will route them....

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=49996 Says:
Strong speculation at this week’s Valencia test had suggested that the new McLaren might feature a similar forward exhaust system to the one that appeared on the new Renault R31 on Monday.

And although the MP4-26 on show in Berlin ultimately had a more standard exhaust layout, the team’s engineering director Tim Goss strongly hinted that a change in this area was afoot.

“There is no surprise to anyone involved in Formula 1 last season and the start of this season that exhaust solutions are a significant part of the performance of the car and it won’t come as any real surprise or shock that the exhaust solution that you see on the car today is not what we intend to be testing or racing,” he said.

Surely you don't mean this:

That'd be a waste of hot air surely?

So's Eddie Jordan at times, but he's still used in F1 ;)

Joking aside, I don't know what else it can be, which is why I speculated it's a dummy and the actual route is being kept secret.

Back
Top Bottom