The 2011 cars

I thought it seemed a bit suss that Mclaren would show their car "naked" to the viewing world without holding something back. Adds some further interest to the car launch I guess.

Four options but no FEE!
thinking.gif

That Mclaren looks stunning. It'll be hard to pick a winner between them and Red Bull for the 'Prettiest Car of the Year Award'.

But with them having packed it so tightly, I'm a bit concerned as to the reliability of the car, even though they claim that overheating will not be a problem...

Push or Pull?

Pull-rod
RBR
McLaren
Lotus Renault
Williams

Push-rod
Ferrari
Mercedes
Sauber

?
STR
Force India
Lotus
HTR
MVR

I think some of the more knowledgeable members need to explain the difference between these push-me-pull-you rods for the few members who are less knowledgeable* in these matters.

*in other words me!

They're down here as push:

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/4719/Mercedes-Benz-W02.html

But they could be wrong, though I have definitely seen it written somewhere else. Unfortunately the Mercedes website is un-navigable bordering on incomprehensible.

TopSpeed:
Measuring 4,800mm in length, 950mm in height, and 1,800mm in width, the Mercedes GP MGP W02 was built with a molded carbon fiber and honeycomb composite chassis with a wishbone suspension with pushrod activated torsion springs and rockers. The car will also come with Brembo caliper brakes and BBS forged magnesium wheels to go with the new (standard) Pirelli tires.

I think some of the more knowledgeable members need to explain the difference between these push-me-pull-you rods for the few members who are less knowledgeable* in these matters.

*in other words me!
Pull was all the fashion way back when, then push became all the rage until Adrian Newey had an epiphany in 2009.

It allows the rear suspension to be packaged far lower down, lowering the centre of gravity and allowing more air to act on the rear wing.

http://f1-dictionary.110mb.com/pushrod_pullrod.html

F1 Dictionary said:
Pushrod or pullrod, the difference as the name suggests is the whether the rod push up to the rocker or pull down to the rocker.
Pull rods were first brought to Formula 1 by Gordon Murray with Brabham in the 70s but now all formula one teams make use of the push rods, as pull rods are quite hard to implement in a high nosed car. The advantages of a pull rod lie in the possibility to make the nose lower, assemble most suspension parts lower to the ground and thus lowering the height of the center of gravity.
Pull rod set up has a strut from the outer end of the upper wishbones that runs diagonally to the lower edge of the chassis and "pulls" a rocker to operate the spring\damper.

Push-rod

Pull-Rod

Back
Top Bottom