Football The 2010 Football World Cup Thread

Bullfrog said:
The swear filter here is brilliant. LOL
LOL

I thought I should at least try and keep the place semi-friendly towards minors.

Mind you, they probably know more swear words than I do knowing the kids of today

Anyway, great to see NZ scoring a late equaliser to pick up a point in Rustenburg. They've never got so much as a draw before so good for them!

Are they going to pepper the Honduras goal with strikes?

I know....
coat.gif

Having just had a spin around youtube looking at past footage of South African matches and expanding the search, African cup of nations games I was struck by the lack of one thing, The Vuvuzela.

Plenty of singing, chanting, drums and other sounds but no horn section.

Culture or clever marketing tool. You decide !!

Well the FIA have a branded one now and stand to make around £2 million or so I read.

A couple of things which aren't immediately apparent are if you're stood in front of someone blowing one of these then you are going to suffer damaged hearing due to the level - approaching 130dB apparently.

Also, if anyone has ever played a wind instrument they will know just how much spit and saliva collects in one.
These vuvuzelas are a straight through pipe so again anyone standing in front is going to get showered.

Interestingly, they can't stock the shelves fast enough in the UK so enjoy the football next season :D
Glad I don't go to football matches :D

Switzerland Stuns Spain 1-0 in World Cup

In one of the bigger upsets so far in this year's World Cup, Switzerland scored on a rare attack, beating Spain 1-0 on a Gelson Fernandes goal, ending Spain's 12-match winning streak in international play and giving Espana' its second loss in the past 50 international matches......2 ironies, (1)the United States was the other team to beat Spain in that 50-match period, and (2)unless I'm mistaken, both the U.S. and Switzerland beat Spain in South Africa. LOL

Even better was the fact that it almost ended being 2-0 Switzerland as they nearly scored a second time, only to have the shot bounce off the goalposts...............

If nothing else, would it be safe to assume the World Cup got a nice jolt w/today's upset?

Now that we've seen every team play at least one game its certainly not been the greatest start to a world cup. Only 4 games have seen a team score more than 1 goal and it was only Germany who managed a comfortable win.

Hopefully now that the nerves have been settled a little the next set of games will be a little more expansive.

With the number of tight games that we've seen so far, those teams that managed to take three points in their opening games will be relieved that they are only one more win away from the second round while those who lost or managed a draw (ahem!! I'm looking at you England !!) will know that going into the next set of games, the need for three points is even more important.

I tell you what, ML, the Swiss-Spanish game was a clone of the US-Spanish game from last year. A defeat for Arsenalian 'No Plan B Possession Football' and a victory for Interesque '18-Yard Line Defence'.

Its not going well for the "World's Best Three Keepers", is it? Buffon is injured after half an hour, Julio Cesar conceded against North Korea and Casillias came out with his slide tackles to allow the Swiss goal.

cider_and_toast said:
Having just had a spin around youtube looking at past footage of South African matches and expanding the search, African cup of nations games I was struck by the lack of one thing, The Vuvuzela.

It was invented in the first half of this century, so later than the CAN 1996. Obviously someone has had to sell them, but if the people want to buy them then more fool them - shouldn't stop them.

That's the free market, I'm afraid, folks!

Desmond Tutu was particularly vociferous on the issue today.

Robbie Savage shows his lack of History knowledge while commentating on the Argentina V South Korea game.

"Carlos Teves launched a real.......(short pause).......Exocet there"

:nah:

o======<() BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ o======<() BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ o======<() BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ o======<() BZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZ o======<() BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ o======<() BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ o======<() BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ o======<() BZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ o======<() BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ o======<() BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ o======<() BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ o======<() BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ o======<() BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ o======<() BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ o======<() BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ o======<() BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ o======<() BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ o======<() BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ o======<() BZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZ o======<() BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ o======<() BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

You'll have to speak up, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!

LOL

cider_and_toast said:
Robbie Savage shows his lack of History knowledge while commentating on the Argentina V South Korea game.

"Carlos Teves launched a real.......(short pause).......Exocet there"

:nah:

Even though he is/was a player*, what 'Lily' knows about football isn't worth knowing...

*And I use that term very loosely

Auvoir?

They've been pretty awful thus far, and I feel safe to say that the team who should have been there, [bg=#00AA00]||[/bg][bg=#FFFFFF]||[/bg][bg=#FFAA00]||[/bg] Ireland would have been much better than the poor attempt at a World Cup we've seen from Ray's garçons!

Indeed. It's not looking good for France. And they're yet to score a goal! "Sackrae Blue" LOL

And Bro, I hope you had an import licence for them vuvuzela's... :D

McZiderRed said:
And Bro, I hope you had an import licence for them vuvuzela's... :D

Brogan had an import license for those vuvuzela's, McZ. Why d'ya think the back of the customs' vehicle was full of alcohol?

I mean, how else do you think Americans, for instance, sneak in Cuban-made cigars past Customs(other than, (a)sending them via. diplomatic circles, or (b)having our Canadian friends sneak them across the border[which might explain why Cuban cigars were a common sight at NORAD for several decades.........) LOL LOL :censored: :o :o :o :o :o

Back
Top Bottom