Football The 2010 Football World Cup Thread

Great performance from England, good defending by the USA. Very impressed with the Lampard-Gerrard axis (6 years, I've been waiting to say that!)

Good team, the US. No doom and gloom. Few win all the games at a World Cup, and the Italians drew 1-1 with the States in 2006!

Chin up, England. Chin up, Rob Green!

Brogan said:
I see what you mean about those annoying trumpet things.

Christ, mate, thank God you weren't watching SA vs Mexico!

teabagyokel said:
Surely it couldn't have been any worse?

We actually watched most of the match with the sound muted it was that annoying.

Kind of like a million mosquitos constantly buzzing around your head.

teabagyokel said:
Great performance from England, good defending by the USA. Very impressed with the Lampard-Gerrard axis (6 years, I've been waiting to say that!)

Good team, the US. No doom and gloom. Few win all the games at a World Cup, and the Italians drew 1-1 with the States in 2006!

Chin up, England. Chin up, Rob Green!

Brogan said:
I see what you mean about those annoying trumpet things.

We must have been watching different games. I thought Lampard was his usual dire (for England) self - He disappeared for masses of time, and when he did get the ball, most of the time either passed poorly or chose to shoot when there were better options.
Rooney was on Mogadon and ineffectual throughout, Lennon started well but forgot he was a winger and that his role was to get behind the US defensive line; Replacing King with Carragher meant our CBs had the speed and turning circle of HMS Belfast, Heskey was caught offside time after time and the only time we looked dangerous was when we put a few passes together, to feet. Sadly, that was all too rare.

The US lapped up our long balls to Heskey, marked and niggled Rooney enough to make him completely ineffective, and pushed us back, so all we could think of was the lump forward. Poor show, Fabio.

South Africa's World Cup organising chief Danny Jordaan may ban vuvuzelas from inside stadiums after complaints from broadcasters and supporters.

The constant sound of the high-pitched horn-like instrument has so far drowned out much of the atmosphere-generating singing usually associated with games.

And Jordaan, when asked if he would get rid of them, told BBC Sport: "If there are grounds to do so, yes.

"We did say that if any land on the pitch in anger we will take action."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8737455.stm

Muddy, I'm not going to take issue with Heskey - if as a striker you're not caught offside, you're not close enough to the defence.

Lampard, Rooney and Carragher were the obvious downsides for England, the other one being that Rooney is apparently immune to substitution. However, I'm not exactly sure what you were expecting. This is the World Cup, it is not easy. The US managed to beat Spain 2-0 at this altitude in a semi-competitive game last year, they are good.

2 wins and we're through.

It's amazing how after one average result (brought about by a bizarre goal keeping blunder) Capello has suddenly become public enemy no.1 in the media. No one was questioning his habit of naming the team as they got on the bus as England breezed through qualifying, now it's the stupidest thing in the world.

One thing many seem to have missed, and as TBY has pointed out, is that the US are no mugs at "So-Car" these days and they have to be given credit for springing the offside trap on Heskey so many times and stopping Lampard from getting into the game.

I have to admit Jamie Carragher was woeful, no pace, no skill, booked within 10 minutes of coming on and did anyone else notice that whenever he got the ball as England built out of defence he kicked it straight back to the keeper? Matthew Upson must have p#ssed in Capello's tea or something as I can't for the life of me believe he could have done a worse job than Carragher

Forgot to add - Oh dear, here come the Germans

Germany 4-0 Australia

Glad I was watching Ken Dodd LOL

From reading that article it would seem that the sound of the horns appears differently in the stadiums to what it does at home on TV.

They are seriously annoying but it's going to be with us for the whole world cup so we better get used to the idea.

My only worry is how many will be brought back to the Uk or weather some enterprising individuals will start to sell them over here. The last thing I want to here in football grounds up and down the country are these things.

Can't see what all the fuss is about.

I don't think FIFA should be the ones to decide how fans celebrate or make noise, they must have known about them before the World Cup was given to South Africa.

It is an insult to African culture to suggest that their supporters should act in stadia exactly as the Mighty Whitey of Europe does. I would feel that the 'atmosphere' at English grounds, with the expletive-filled chanting, is worse to listen to than South Africans enjoying a football match in the way that South Africans enjoy football matches.

If European sounds are what FIFA want, then they should hold the World Cup in Europe. I for one am delighted that FIFA have decided not to complain about the Africans being near an African World Cup.

I have to admit the african fans have been amazing so far in the world cup.

There's so many shots of them in large groups singing and dancing, it brings a whole new experience to watching football.

But on the otherhand I can't see the same thing happening down at Elland Road once the season kicks off again.

Miserable sods. I find Andrew Lloyd Webber very annoying can they broadcast the next round of his West End publicity shows on the red button with his face blanked out?

Is the severity of BBC action inversely linked to the number of complaints? 545 out of what must be many millions seems a very insignificant number.

OK, I can think of something...

How about a Red Button EastEnders without any pictures and sounds? Or F1 without any car noise?

If I didn't have to listen to Mark :censored: Lawrenson bitching about the quality of the game he's supposed to be describing, BBC, that would be less annoying.

As an atmosphere for a sporting event (suitable for all ages, colours, creeds etc) I know I'd much rather have some horns (no matter how annoying) than the swearing, xenophobia and sectarianism that abounds at most football grounds in England. You even get chants about the Pope and the IRA at Exeter City, I mean for ****s sake, could there be anywhere more removed from 'The Troubles' than sleepy old Exeter!?

Back
Top Bottom