Current Sir Lewis Carl Davidson Hamilton MBE

A place to put all the posts from all the other threads primarily but love him or hate him, and even for the indifferent amongst us this is the place to discuss the marmite that is Lewis Hamilton, to learn a thing or two about his rise, talk about those controversial, genius or mad moments and something that i am bemused by, the recent articles that suggest something quite different to my perception of what's going on. Any experiences of meeting LH?

Brundle had to write a Lewis Hamilton article recently and in my tweets (which were probably ignored) I asked him to talk about LH the driver not LH the personality. It seems that you can't have one without the other.

So as a starter for ten, here is a fairly recent LH article. Posts should not be limited to this link but it can get some discussion going. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13755883.stm

The only banned topic as it is clearly ridiculous involves these four things "Glock" "2008" "Brazil" "conspiracy"

image.jpeg
A very talented young lady and Hamilton fan that I follow on Twitter posted some of her artwork today.

Lewis Hamilton is in a six man short list for a world sport award.

"Formula 1 world champion Lewis Hamilton has been nominated for the title of Laureus World Sportsman of the Year.

Hamilton, 31, is in the running for the award, along with Lionel Messi, Usain Bolt, Novak Djokovic, Jordan Spieth and basketball player Stephen Curry."

Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 team are also in the running for the team award.

Lewis Hamilton on six-man shortlist for world sport award

Last edited:
If Steph Curry doesn't win this award, then the voters must have not watched him play a game the last 2 years. What he and the Warriors are doing night in and night out is utterly amazing.

Lewis will have to settle for World Drivers Champion

As a Brit, I have to say basketball is an international sport. The USA have even lost the Olympics!

Saying otherwise is like an American denying that football is the world's biggest team sport.

....Is like an American denying that it's called 'football' ;)

Okay, so all the others (i think) are current champions in non domestic/international sports. I clearly know little about basketball but is that the case with Curry?

It is. And the Warriors are trying to break Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bull's record record of 72 wins in an 82 game season this year. They are 54-5 and MJ's Bulls finished 72-10 in 1995-96. (They were 53-6 at this point)

As you know I am a Lewis fan but I thought I would just say how that came about....it was pure fluke...........I was asked to tape a race back in 2007 and not being too bright with techie things I watched to make sure I was doing it properly, don't ask, so there is this young chap that had taken 9 podiums in his debut season, as with all talent this drew my attention, before this F! to me was cars going round and round, I carried on watching to see how he got along, he got along fine and the rest is history............As time went on I grew more and more interested in the politics etc. that went on, the debates for this, the debates for that, some commenters drive me doolally while others seem to get the balance....I watched David Coultcard's respect for him seem to grow.........I have now grown to respect how extremely talented all the guys on that track are............yes Alonso, Vettel, and prob more stand out, I do not have enough knowledge yet to appreciate the diff. in cars to such a fine degree as you..........suffice to say now I watch Lewis all through the race constantly checking the ticker for times.......only time will tell if I will find another to support when Lewis eventually moves on....but at the moment I am content to watch the race even if Lewis has crashed out>:( I enjoy close racing with everyone else though, just get very nervous when it involves you know who...........oh and I found you guys ie cpa by following from the bbc forum 606.........it also took me forever to work out what a wum was, lol................:wave:

I would worry about side-tracking us here, but this is the Lewis thread.....

gethinceri - I was interested so I had to check out those '48 games. Apparently Basketball was an official medal event for the second time in 1948. Was your Grandfather on the French team?

Edit - Basketball returned as a medal sport for the first time since 1936 when the championship game was played outside in the rain. Not ideal.

Last edited:
NBA is not exactly a global sport though. So most people have not watched a game full stop.

I for one who live in New York City, and honestly can identify more players who play for Chelsea in the Barclays Premier League, than I can the New York Knicks basketball team.

It is. And the Warriors are trying to break Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bull's record record of 72 wins in an 82 game season this year. They are 54-5 and MJ's Bulls finished 72-10 in 1995-96. (They were 53-6 at this point)

Yeah see I don't doubt he's exceptional from what you've said but what's his current international record? Apologies if I'm being an imbecile.
I'm just wondering if a 'global' sportsman should have a current international (team/individual) record or status or if it's just 'you are the best person in the world in your sport'.

Lewis could probably be discounted immediately because of the car is such a major factor in F1.

The NBA is far and away the most elite basketball competition you will find in the world. All the best players from around the globe play in the NBA. They currently count over 100 players from 37 countries.

Also, Curry was on the 2014 team that won the FIBA World Championships with ease. Which is the only "International" competition he's been in.

My mention of Curry was kind of a throw-away comment. I couldn't care less who wins this award.

Back
Top Bottom